Quit Smoking

Help Support CattleToday:

Smoking use to be cool, now not so much so. I have never smoked, but have breathed enough second hand smoke, especially in my younger days from my dad, to kill me.

Smoking_is_very_glamorous.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I never smoked but everyone around me did. I was smart enough to think ahead that one day you would have to give up. My brother struggled with that. My dad gave up twice by just going cold turkey. But to this day i love the smell and to me a pub just isn't right without the smell of smoke.

jltrent said:
Smoking use to be cool, now not so much so. I have never smoked, but have breathed enough second hand smoke, especially in my younger days from my dad, to kill me.

Smoking_is_very_glamorous.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The irony here tobacco for recreation is taboo, marijuana is okay. The hypocrisy is thick. For decades we have heard what tobacco is costing the health industry. No one wants to talk about the cost of the political correct marijuana.
I don't see how breathing smoke of any kind will have positive health effects.

Alcohol is a threat to peoples health but you see it every where so we do not need any of the addicting drugs as long as we have the liquid form of health destroying problems.

i QUIT TWENTY YEARS AGO...
could not get my wife to quit...she was totally addicted to them.
in the last couple of years she tried to quit several times and just could not do it...
She had ten years of health problems all related to smoking before she finally passed away last spring....and the things that killed her were all related to smoking..

pdfangus said:
i QUIT TWENTY YEARS AGO...
could not get my wife to quit...she was totally addicted to them.
in the last couple of years she tried to quit several times and just could not do it...
She had ten years of health problems all related to smoking before she finally passed away last spring....and the things that killed her were all related to smoking..

I'm sorry for your loss. In my case it was my wife that was the one that made me stop (she didn't smoke). I developed a cancer that was unrelated to smoking and surgery was scheduled a few weeks off. She started saying how it was going to be nice to have white walls and curtains again and how she wouldn't have a stinky house anymore. I asked what all that meant and she said I wasn't going to be smoking anymore after the surgery. Well, that was news to me but I agreed to try. When I got home from the hospital there were no traces of cigarettes, but I still had the urge to smoke. I developed a scenario in my head where I figured I would see her sitting in the living room floor crying her eyes out if I picked up another. That's worked for me since July 2003.

It's been a week today.

Folding laundry a bit ago, I realized that my same detergent smelled fresher. I have a sinus infection so I was quite surprised I noticed.

Feeling pretty good today.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Great - keep it up - you will be sooooo proud of yourself and so will everyone else around you!

I just told my 17 year old that it's been a whole week. He smiled and said "I guess I haven't seen you step out to smoke, that's great!" And gave me a fist bump. But his smile said it all!

Congratulations....give yourself a reward of some sort for every week you achieve. Something small that is a treat for you.

The worst should be behind you now.

But the things that trigger an impulse to smoke are ingrained and will take a while to subdue.

pdfangus said:
Congratulations....give yourself a reward of some sort for every week you achieve. Something small that is a treat for you.

But the things that trigger an impulse to smoke are ingrained and will take a while to subdue.

I shall buy a cow. :banana: LOL

NEFarmwife said:
pdfangus said:

He said a "small" treat. A bottle calf might work. It would give you something to do. :cboy:

Dave said:
NEFarmwife said:
pdfangus said:

He said a "small" treat. A bottle calf might work. It would give you something to do. :cboy:

No bottle calves here. Our calving season has officially ended. We do have another 130+ head that are calving out in a field but we're selling off those calves as fast as they hit the ground.

I treated myself to GS cookies. I am gonna gain some pounds.

NEFarmwife, you mentioned in another tread about a blasting business. I too had a business that we did shot blasting and vibratory in house. I still own a small steel belted Wheelabrator because I always loved how it made product look, I don't use it but I love it.
If you don't mind could me about your business?

Blue Dawg said:
NEFarmwife, you mentioned in another tread about a blasting business. I too had a business that we did shot blasting and vibratory in house. I still own a small steel belted Wheelabrator because I always loved how it made product look, I don't use it but I love it.

That business is yesteryear. :) Been out of it since 2007. Did soda, cob, and glass. Main part of the business was blasting dumpsters (the large ones) and propane tanks (Blue Rhino) and recoating them with industrial paint. Stayed away from precious restorations, too much risk although soda could have certainly done the job.

Was also mobile. Large factories that dealt with cheese or other food products that had large vats could be soda blasted as opposed to using chemicals which made cleanup much safer.

In my past also, but I think it could still be a lucrative business.

Thank you!

Blue Dawg said:
In my past also, but I think it could still be a lucrative business.

Thank you!

Agreed! Especially in larger metro areas. We have been considering a small blaster for the shop. As much as our truck beds take a beating and all the different things my husband creates, I think it would be a good investment.

Blue Dawg said:

Blue, are you still here? Send me a PM please.

Dave said:
NEFarmwife said:
pdfangus said:

Bought two heifers at a bull sale tonight.