Quit Smoking

Help Support CattleToday:

Stay with it!

I smoked 4 packs of second hand smoke a day from the day I was born to when I left home at 15. Still have memories of the old 66 Chev half ton, heater cranked, windows rolled up and my folks lighting the next one off the last. Me in the middle. After 43 years I still curl my nose to the side at the smell of tobacco smoke. Never, ever wanted to take a puff for myself.

I did chew for 30 years, vile, stinking putrid crap Copenhagen is. Quit cold turkey during haying in 2014 from chewing a can a day. Left the can I quit on sitting on my desk for 2 years. Would give that thing the fish eye every morning and say, "You won't get me today either!" until a neighbor was out and I gave him that dried out can.

Can't stand the smell of it when someone opens a can next to me.

You have a big job ahead of you, the rewards are great when the cravings go away

I kinda sorta quit 15 months ago.. smoked for 20 years. I have an e-cig now.. don't like it but it prevents me from murdering people.. Friday nights I'll have a couple real ones... I'm alright with it that way.

Nesikep said:
I kinda sorta quit 15 months ago.. smoked for 20 years. I have an e-cig now.. don't like it but it prevents me from murdering people.. Friday nights I'll have a couple real ones... I'm alright with it that way.

I have two chain smoking friends using e cigs to give up smoking. They are slowly cutting the nicotine down and it seems to be working.

I never had a great desire to quit, just kinda personal challenge.. I just hated how much it cost.. I did grow my own tobacco most of the time though.

Is it true they put tar in cigarettes to stop them going out and that is why the ones you make yourself have to be re lit often? Also heard they put the most addictive substance of all in there to help keep people wanting them. That substance is.....sugar! Could just be wives tails but does make sense.

Chewing tobacco had a much greater hold on me than smoking....that was the tough one for me to quit.....chewed since I was a teen. Quit about 18 years ago....

Chewed plug

I am lucky....I thought I had mouth cancer but it was not cancer.

Now I am paying a price though. Already lost two molars on the lower left jaw and this week the dentist told me the three upper ones need to come out as they are infected and most likely a big contributing factor to my sinus infections. On antibiotics now to try to subdue the infection before extraction.

pdfangus said:
Chewing tobacco had a much greater hold on me than smoking....that was the tough one for me to quit.....chewed since I was a teen. Quit about 18 years ago....

Chewed plug

I am lucky....I thought I had mouth cancer but it was not cancer.

Now I am paying a price though. Already lost two molars on the lower left jaw and this week the dentist told me the three upper ones need to come out as they are infected and most likely a big contributing factor to my sinus infections. On antibiotics now to try to subdue the infection before extraction.

I still miss a good chew of tobacco and it's been almost 27 years since I quit. Probably going to be real hard for folks to quit the E cigarette and vaping, it's just another form of addiction. You ain't quit smoking if your vaping.

My husband quite chewing before we met. He will take a dip on rare occasions. Especially during planting season. Says he always craves one though.

Still going strong!

Keep it up, you'll be so glad that you did!! I finally succeeded at stopping smoking, 6 years ago. I am so glad that I did. I do not miss it! The amount of $$ that I don't spend on cigs is amazing. Talk about having "mad money".

Way to go! Good job! If you've gotten this far, you've got this thing beat!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Workinonit Farm said:
Keep it up, you'll be so glad that you did!! I finally succeeded at stopping smoking, 6 years ago. I am so glad that I did. I do not miss it! The amount of $$ that I don't spend on cigs is amazing. Talk about having "mad money".

I am going to claim victory at my two week mark. That'll be Thursday.

I got thru our bull sale yesterday without breaking down and having one. So, I think I got this thing kicked. :cowboy: I know it is always going to kinda be there but I feel the withdrawal or hard cravings are gone.

NEFarmwife said:
Workinonit Farm said:

I got thru our bull sale yesterday without breaking down and having one. So, I think I got this thing kicked. :cowboy: I know it is always going to kinda be there but I feel the withdrawal or hard cravings are gone.

From my experience with friends quitting around the six week mark was the critical point. Many of them decided just to have one because one can't hurt, which lead to two. But you have done really well to this point. Funny the ones who stayed off for about 6 months or more became repulsed by the smell of it.

Redgully said:
NEFarmwife said:
Workinonit Farm said:

From my experience with friends quitting around the six week mark was the critical point. Many of them decided just to have one because one can't hurt, which lead to two. But you have done really well to this point. Funny the ones who stayed off for about 6 months or more became repulsed by the smell of it.
I agree with what you've said. My husband said the other day, as we discussed a reward at the 6 month mark...that I could have "one here and one there" and still earn my reward. I told him I cannot do that because that one leads to two.

From what I've seen, former smokers have to always be aware of big stressors, even years later. A relative had quit for about 15 years, then started up again when his father-in-law died (of lung cancer!). (A few years later he was able to quit again but it took his wife threatening him that she wasn't going to lose him to lung cancer too).

boondocks said:
From what I've seen, former smokers have to always be aware of big stressors, even years later. A relative had quit for about 15 years, then started up again when his father-in-law died (of lung cancer!). (A few years later he was able to quit again but it took his wife threatening him that she wasn't going to lose him to lung cancer too).

Yes, my Dad smoked for years. He quit and had been off them for a long time. Mom came down with MS. He was her only health care which I am certain was very stressful. As she slowly slipped away he would step outside an smoke one. It started all over again. About 20 years later they took out half of one of his lungs. Four years after that the cancer got him.

Glad you're still going strong! I'm guilty of vaping.. A lot. Made the dumb choice to start smoking with friends at 15 and after 4 years I'm trying to quit. Didn't think it'd be that hard..

holm25 said:
Glad you're still going strong! I'm guilty of vaping.. A lot. Made the dumb choice to start smoking with friends at 15 and after 4 years I'm trying to quit. Didn't think it'd be that hard..

I used Vape years ago when I lived in Texas. The vape supply was readily available wherever. Seemed there was a shop on every street corner. When I moved back to NE, it was harder to come by and purchasing off the internet was a gamble on quality. So I went back to smoking.

Vaping is almost worse because it doesn't stink, so you'll do it anywhere which isn't promoting an alternative to quitting which is what vaping was set out to do.

My grandfather died in 2013 due to lung cancer. He had smoked since he was 17. His last days were very bad. When I see people smoking constantly, I want to share with them a view of someone who had a horrible end because of it. Glad you are making this decision. Stick with it!

holm25 said:

Vaping is probable safer than Cigarettes. Why because you are only getting vapors with nicotine and not any of the tars and chemicals in the cigs.

Latest posts