Kansas Smoking Ban

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":323bl7ur said:
My opinion is that it should be left strictly up to the establishment or business. I don't smoke and don't really like being around it...BUT...a private business has a RIGHT to decide if they wish to allow smoking in all of their facility, part of their facility or no smoking at all. Before we had the smoking ban here in TN, when I went into a resturaunt I made a decision on whether or not I wanted to patronize that establishment. If the smoke was too bad I would leave. I exercised my right to not patronize that business but I had no right to demand that the owner of the business give up his. Market conditions will drive a business owner to either allow or disallow smoking. I also exercise my right to not patronize businesses that post signs banning concealed carry on their premesis but I have no problem with their right to post such sign either as long as it is not public property or a public right-of-way.

That's exactly the way I feel, HOSS. We've had a statewide smoking ban everywhere that the public has access to for a couple of years now. Before that, each privately owned business had the freedom to make up their own mind whether they would allow smoking or not, and the general public could decide for themselves which businesses they would patronize. Worked pretty well, but that's just not good enough for some people. There is a growing, powerful lobby of holier-than-thou busybodies out there that think if someone is doing something they don't approve of then it's their business to put a stop to it. My state is one of the worst.

Calman":2s8mlatb said:
Nobody worse being around than a reformed alcoholic and smoker.
Both think because you drink or smoke you're the greatest sinner in the world.

Cal

I've known quite a few like that, but not everyone who has "reformed" is that way. I'm a drunkard that hasn't had a drink in many years. My choice. Other people have to make their own choices. If they choose to drink that doesn't make them a sinner, or in any way less a person than me as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind being around people that are drinking, unless they are falling down obnoxious drunk like I was. If a friend comes over to watch the big game and brings a six-pack, that's fine. If my wife has a couple of drinks when we go out to eat, that's fine, too, as long as I drive home. I figure I'm the one with the problem, not them. Why should they suffer? Trust me, if I could drink responsibly, I would. I really miss it sometimes, but it's just not worth it.

VanC":313rygsr said:
Calman":313rygsr said:
Nobody worse being around than a reformed alcoholic and smoker.
Both think because you drink or smoke you're the greatest sinner in the world.

Cal

I've known quite a few like that, but not everyone who has "reformed" is that way. I'm a drunkard that hasn't had a drink in many years. My choice. Other people have to make their own choices. If they choose to drink that doesn't make them a sinner, or in any way less a person than me as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind being around people that are drinking, unless they are falling down obnoxious drunk like I was. If a friend comes over to watch the big game and brings a six-pack, that's fine. If my wife has a couple of drinks when we go out to eat, that's fine, too, as long as I drive home. I figure I'm the one with the problem, not them. Why should they suffer? Trust me, if I could drink responsibly, I would. I really miss it sometimes, but it's just not worth it.

I understand Vanc and I respect you a 100% for that. And I also glad you know about the ones I'm talking about.I smoke and if I get the urge for a beer there's alway's one in the fridge.
I played lead guitar in a country band up in Ohio for 14 years.When I quit playing in bands in 1982 I had my last hangover.Now don't get me wrong I still have my cold ones every now and then. :lol:

Cal

I think some of you are over thinking it.

You smokers think the state is taking away your rights. You are wrong!

I'm sorry but I have a right to CLEAN air in public and I am thankful that many states are recognizing that right.

You need to REALIZE that your smoke CAUSES CANCER!

You not being able to blow YOUR cancer causing agents into MY oxygen supply is restricting YOUR RIGHTS?!?!?! ummmmm I don't think so !!!!

---------------------------------
Edited to emphasis the causing cancer part !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CPL I hate to bring you the bad news but ya aint gonna get clean air while your in public no mater what you do.And by the way make sure you walk,don't for heaven sake start up your car cause you're poluten my air.

All this is just one more little way the government has of taking away our freedom.
And I'm sorry to say if you don't believe this you are helping them.

Cal

CPL":1nsuy650 said:

I'm sorry but I have a right to CLEAN air in public and I am thankful that many states are recognizing that right.

You not being able to blow YOUR cancer causing agents into MY oxygen supply is restricting YOUR RIGHTS?!?!?! ummmmm I don't think so !!!!

CPL....I think you may be missing the point. My rights as a non-smoker and others rights as smokers should not trump a business owners right to run his business as he sees fit. For me the sticking point is that the governments are continuing to tell business owners what they can and can't do when it comes to something that is a legal practice (smoking). I agree with smoking bans in public owned places like gov. buildings, parks etc.. but not in a private owned building or private property....next thing the gov. will want to do is regulate smoking inones own home.

CPL":1ktjtv6s said:

CPL, I respectfully suggest you think about it some more. First of all, smoking and second hand smoke is not the bogeyman it is made out to be, any more than global warming. Does smoking pose a risk to your health? Yes. But I've known a lot of smokers who lived to a ripe old age, 80 years or even more, and most of them died of something not remotely related to smoking. Or does smoking cause prostate cancer, car crashes and diabetes, too??? There's simply more to it, other lifestyle choices, genetic pre-disposition, etc.

As far as your personal oxygen supply, am I supposed to shut off my car in your vicinity? 'cuz exhaust fumes cause cancer. Maybe I better learn to live without electricity because my power comes from a coal-fired plant and that's polluting your oxygen, too. And I guess the farmers better go back to draft animals because those tractors........!

If it's so simple as smoking should be banned because it causes cancer, then I guess we need to all acknowledge that guns kill people a lot more effectively than smoking, and therefore they should be banned, too. And drinking and driving has caused many a tragedy. So, should we ban the liquor or the cars?? I guess it had better be the cars, since they pollute your oxygen, too.

Everything in life carries a risk. It should be up to the individual what risk they will accept. Not decided by elected so-called representatives, working at the bequest of self-appointed "world savers".

VA inacted the same law Dec 1 of last year. There is a little beer joint up the road where we go eat supper from time to time, used to have to cut the smoke with a knife to find a seat. Girl that runs the place said their business has dropped a good bit.

I don't smoke and don't like the smell of it, but I don't have a problem with other people smoking. If you're going to a bar, cig smoke is par for the course. If you don't like it, don't go.

What's next, a fat tax on twinkies?

(BTW I love twinkies and could probably stand to gain a few pounds)

MO_cows":l0h3pi4s said:
First of all, smoking and second hand smoke is not the bogeyman it is made out to be, any more than global warming. Does smoking pose a risk to your health? Yes. But I've known a lot of smokers who lived to a ripe old age, 80 years or even more, and most of them died of something not remotely related to smoking. Or does smoking cause prostate cancer, car crashes and diabetes, too??? There's simply more to it, other lifestyle choices, genetic pre-disposition, etc

Everything in life carries a risk. It should be up to the individual what risk they will accept. Not decided by elected so-called representatives, working at the bequest of self-appointed "world savers".

You are right on MO_cows. :clap: :clap: :clap:
But this is hard for politically correct do gooders to assimilate. They do not have the concept of personal freedom and personal responsibility which made this country so great in the past.
This whole thing is falling down around their ears and they cannot even see it.

I used to smoke, and I was good at it. I quit because "I" decided to quit.
What made it harder was all the do gooders telling me what I should do. This irritated me and made me want to smoke even more.

INMO the ground work for all this was laid back in the 60s I guess when the government took away the rights of business owners and others to decide who they would or would not serve or who they would or would not hire or fire, and so on. But today we can't even talk about that. It is not politically correct.

I quit smoking in 1993, and the main reason was cuz' I was already tired of not being allowed to smoke here or there. To this day it makes me mad when I see smokers treated like second class citizens. Same way with seat belts, motorcycle helmets, and the new ban, I think it was in Mass., that stopped kids from sledding down hills. Will all the do-gooders please understand that it's my life, and if I want to kill myself or do something stupid, I don't need you or the govt. saving me. Where does it all stop? I forget the story about Hitler and it didn't affect me, so I looked the other way, then it affected me. gs

I don't like the smell of deisel trucks or someone's farts. Does that mean that if I smell someones' I should be able to have them arrested and fined $50? No, I should just go somewhere that I can't smell them. gs

Don't ya just love bar and restaraunt owners who don't have the guts to enact their own rules and want the government to do it for them.
If smoke bothers me I don't go to an establishment...that's real simple.

The GOVERNMENT will save us...yea right

Well folks since this seems to be about personal freedom I willoffer a solution of another type.

Why not enact these smoking bans and give private business owners the option to make their place of business an all smoking or no smoking establsihment. Then let the marketplace decide who stays in business. I for one could care less if people want to smoke. I just DO NOT want to suffer the consequences. I don't want to smell it, on my clothes or my hair. I for sure don't want to breath it.
Mostly because the 20 yrs I did smoke along with 10yrs in the mines and agricultural dust and chemicals have combined to give me a mild case of COPD. So if someone smokes in my vicinity it not only inconveniences me but literally endangers my life, and I don't care who you are or how loud you want to bytch on this forum you DO NOT have the right to do that.

So I say lets just solve the problem thru separation. If those of you who smoke want to do it then have your own places where it is not only legal but encouraged.

I do not for a second minimize how addictive it is and how badly some people NEED to hang on to the habit. I had a client once who literally would smoke with her oxygen on, joking that if she blew up it would be quicker than dying from emphysema. So smoke all you want just don't try to force me to breath it or if possible smell you afterward. Before anyone gets to up set by that last remark consider this. I can suffer an asthma attack from someone sitting down next to me after they have gone outside and demnolished a cigarette in a couple minutes..............that's all I have to say

Well unfortunately for me...I"m still a smoker...really enjoy it too....BUT I absolutely will not eat in a place that has a smoking area and a non smoking area. As the old saying goes "that's like having a peeing corner in a swimming pool". I guess it's just the idea but for me, smoking and good food just do not go together. If you can't go an hour or so without one you're in bad shape already. I do my smoking outside except for my truck and even then I keep a window rolled about a quarter way down. Can't stand the smoke. :lol: And really can't stand somebody else's smoke. Never smoke in a friends vehicle either unless he's smoking....This eliminates a lot places for me to eat, drink or smoke. But I see it more as respect for others than depriving myself of a temporary pleasure at someone else's expense.

TexasBred":2awlc4nh said:
Well unfortunately for me...I"m still a smoker...really enjoy it too....BUT I absolutely will not eat in a place that has a smoking area and a non smoking area. As the old saying goes "that's like having a peeing corner in a swimming pool". I guess it's just the idea but for me, smoking and good food just do not go together. If you can't go an hour or so without one you're in bad shape already. I do my smoking outside except for my truck and even then I keep a window rolled about a quarter way down. Can't stand the smoke. :lol: And really can't stand somebody else's smoke. Never smoke in a friends vehicle either unless he's smoking....This eliminates a lot places for me to eat, drink or smoke. But I see it more as respect for others than depriving myself of a temporary pleasure at someone else's expense.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW A reasonable man!

BTW don't think I am not sympathetic. I haven't smoked for 21 years but I still darned near swoon if someone opens a pack of fresh Marlboros any where near me. They smell so good I want to eat em.
..........and don't get me started on the JOYS of smokeless tobacco. I have to leave the room if someone opens a can of skoal I am so afraid I will ask them for a chew.

BTW don't think I am not sympathetic. I haven't smoked for 21 years but I still darned near swoon if someone opens a pack of fresh Marlboros any where near me. They smell so good I want to eat em.
..........and don't get me started on the JOYS of smokeless tobacco. I have to leave the room if someone opens a can of skoal I am so afraid I will ask them for a chew

I don't guess you ever lose the urge.....and 3way I ain't gonna ask what happens when a "sweet young thang" comes brushing by you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I 'kicked the habit' two years ago, now I only smoke on occasions :lol: . I am respectful of where I smoke, never in public places etc. Hate the smell of an ashtray or a stinky car or house. I don't like someone smoking in my 'space' either :devil2: .I have been known to go into a pub and totally tolerate the smoke :D .
I believe it should be left up to the restaurant owner to decide whether he/she will allow smoking at all or have a smoking section in 'their' restaurant.
At the end of the day we need to be considerate towards our fellow man. Each of us have rights (be it the child, smoker or non smoker), someone has to talk for those who cannot talk for themselves but within reason.

TexasBred":1ffli91a said:
..........and don't get me started on the JOYS of smokeless tobacco. I have to leave the room if someone opens a can of skoal I am so afraid I will ask them for a chew

I don't guess you ever lose the urge.....and 3way I ain't gonna ask what happens when a "sweet young thang" comes brushing by you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't kicked that habit YET :cowboy:

TexasBred":ngq0ay81 said:

I'm a lot like you. I never smoke around non-smokers, even in my own car or house, unless I'm outside, and even then I will go off by myself. When the kids were still at home I went outside, and never, under any circumstances do I smoke around the grandkids, inside or out. I also dispose of the butts properly and never, ever just throw them on the ground.
I understand that many people are bothered by it, and that it can cause health problems for many others. It's the ones that take that holier than thou attitude that I've got no use for. A few years ago, when there were still smoking sections in restaurants, I was at a Bob Evans. A lady came in and asked for a seat in the non-smoking section. There weren't any, and she was too self-important to wait a few minutes, so she sat in the smoking section. She then told everyone around her, in a snotty tone, that they weren't allowed to smoke while she was there. Four or five of us immediately lit up and she left in a huff. Screw her.
Also had a certain "civic leader" awhile back that that was instrumental in getting a public smoking ban in one of the nearby towns. This was before the state law took effect. Saw his ugly mug a lot on local TV and he'd write letters to the editor pointing out what low-life scum we smokers were. Finally got what he wanted. So be it. A few months later he was involved in a car accident where a young girl was badly injured. He was drunk and they also found pot and cocaine in his car. Screw him, too.
Yeah, I smoke, but I try and use a little common courtesy towards those that don't. All I ask is a little of the same in return.

While I agree that a business should have to right to run their business as they like within reason (the law, which includes no smoking) and I hate the fact that a few groups of do gooders are trying to tell me how to live and regulate my life :mad: :mad: :mad: . ORegon has had the smoking ban for a few years without real economic loss, smokers just go outside to have a smoke or have a drink on the bars deck or patio.

One area of smoking that really does bother me (I can put in the helmet and seatbelt laws with smoking, as mentioned). Some laws, while some don't like them do have an underlying factor. Why should I as a taxpayer have to pay for some dumba$$es life support if they decide not to wear a helmet or seatbelt or smoke for that matter and spend years in and out of hospitals?

Now that I chimed in this will probably get locked down..... seems like only my political rants get deleted or locked. :help:

Alan

Latest posts