Slow Bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have a 7 year old bull that was very active and settled 47 cows this summer. He is still with them, but is not moving much now and has lost some condition. I do not see him going to water but I do see him eating snow. When I bring a few treats for the girls he does not come up to the corral, but stays out by the bale rings. Does arthritis type issues occur at this age?

Sounds like a bit more than the usual isolation that bulls do when they've finished the job. They don't like hanging around and listening to all the crap like period pain that the women talk about if there is no chance of a bit on offer. Losing weight and not coming up to feed would be a bit of a worry.

Ken

Send him to town. His baby making days are done it sounds like.

Does he walk slow and gingerly around bale feeders to indicate arthritis? or is he just lazy? Should definitely not be losing weight this time of the year - complete opposite. He might have to go before you find a popsicle out there.

There's something up with him.. My 6 year old (and I've had a few older) never showed any signs of slowing down.. My Limo had something up with him one year (He was 4 years old), don't quite know what it was, he was slow, perhaps something digestive? He came out of it after a little bit and but the younger bull had beat him up to take top spot. He settled cows the following year just fine but I didn't like his calves that much so he went to town.

I would really doubt he has arthritis, and an injury would show up as a limp, just being slow, does he have a bit of pneumonia?

I have seen tender footed cows. I don't think that is an issue, but he does need to walk over 1/4 mile for water. Snow and cow hay could account for a little loss in condition.

He is by far the oldest bull have owned. I don't think he is sick I think he is either lazy or stiff. I know I am (stiff).

Hope to get one more year out of him.

The rancher I helped last winter/spring had a bull moved slow. Bred the cows. Threw great calves. But I swear that bull had a heart rate of about 7. If he was any slower he would have been asleep. Some of them just don't get excited.

Dave":3g5w5xaq said:
The rancher I helped last winter/spring had a bull moved slow. Bred the cows. Threw great calves. But I swear that bull had a heart rate of about 7. If he was any slower he would have been asleep. Some of them just don't get excited.

I have a Hereford that way. He does not have a care in the world. I always worry about him doing his job, but he gets the cows settled. Only thing he gets excited about is feed. Most of his calves are the same way, I can pet his daughters.