SITZ UPWARD DAUGHTERS

Help Support CattleToday:

THF

Reaction score
i AM CONSIDERING PURCHASING A RECIP COW EMBRYO FROM A GRID MAKER COW/ UPWARD HEIFER PREGNANCY. I LIVE NEAR CHATTANOOGA. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF UPWARD DAUGHTERS AND DO YOU THINK HIS HEIFERS WOULD PERFORM IN OUR CLIMATE?
ANY OTHER COMMENTS APPRECIATED.

Looks like Upward has a 44 on milk, I guess it depends on the actually breeding, but my guess would be you better have allot of good grass or be ready to feed them. I have cattle in north georgia and there is no way i would attempt a 44 on milk. I try and keep mine in low to high 20's and that is about all we have grass for.

Hard to say. Grid Maker's milk is 10. I think he is pretty framie though. My select sires guy said for the most part Grids aren't really hard keepers. I thought about using just a little but changed my mind. I also used some upward before the milk skyrocketed. Kinda got scared. No daughters in production. Take 44 and 10. So you split in 1/2 that makes 27. $EN is +9. Grids's bw is 5.8. Of course Bismark's sire is Gridmaker, plus the maternal grand sire is also very high.Guess you only know your feed resources. IDK if Id try 50 of them, but one might be worth a shot. If its not a great cross you could breed it back to Kaboom!

I have 17 Upward x Gridmaker embryos in the tank, haven't pulled the trigger on putting them all in yet. Got 3 in cows now, waiting to see how they turn out.

Sizmic

Thanks for all your input(s) on Upward Daughters. I also am looking at some Expectation/CC&7 embryos- looking for replacement females. What do you think. Would this be a better way to go? Is the jury still out on CC&7 females?

I have only 1 gridmaker daughter and her daughter as well. Awesome ladies, even if they are crossbreeds. Good temperament and excellent mommas. Of course, they had a really good momma/grandma.
Valerie
PS. I've been told and read somewhere, mothering ability is passed on to the the females from their sire.

I havent seen any CC&7s in production, but the bred heifers sure look the part. The first daughters are milking well and breed back seems good (from what I have heard). Semen is $100 a straw, so the calves or embryos should be worth some money.

Amo - G A R Expectation reg# is 12548568. He is an EXT son who has produced some super females in my area, but the negative is he also inherited the less than desirable docility EPD from his Sire. Howbeit, he also inherited the supreme maternal qualities. The CC&7 docility EPD (highest in the breed) may hopefully correct the issue with temperment .Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

I live in northGeorgia and thought about using Upward, but the energy number is to high. We just use proven sires and we know what we'll get. For the most part.

Latest posts