EXT Daughters and Docility

Help Support CattleToday:

THF

Reaction score
Have any of you had any EXT Daughters with decent temperment? I'm looking at some EXT/G A R Pierre embryos? Any feedback much appreciated.

I don't know a thing about EXT. not even the breed. By your question there is the implication that there are some temperament issues in the genetics. That alone would the animal off the list of considerations.

The vet curretnly has 2 cows sired by EXT and had a third. All of them go back to an EXT daughter bred to EXT. The reason he got rid of the third one was becuase she was really small. I've heard there are issures with EXT but based on my exposre to these EXT daughters, that would be an XT daughter out of an EXT daughter and her daughter sired by EXT I wouldn;t be all that worried. They are a little more alert then the others of his that are here, but not wild or goofy. Frankly the diggiest calf we've had was sired by 6I6 out of a PITA pet cow. While genetics plays a large part in disposition I really think that "in most cases" handling and managment has a bigger effect.

I think dun made a good statement. Ive seen pi$$y semitals and good semitals. Just like people, your home enviroment has a lot to do with it.

With that said I had a bull that was EXT X Travelor 6807. Ive been told both moody blood lines. I kept every single heiffer out of that bull. The bull was slightly snorty if by himself. Got hard to handle when he made sure my cows and all the neighboorhood cows were bred. I cant say any of the daughters have been a problem. Infact excelent. Had several that had some issues, but they all have been daughters from the same cow.

but they all have been daughters from the same cow.

I believe the cow plays a much bigger role than the bull. Every wild cow I ever owned had calves that were prone to kicking and making a helluva noise when handled.

KNERSIE":3hu5p8xl said:

I believe the cow plays a much bigger role than the bull. Every wild cow I ever owned had calves that were prone to kicking and making a helluva noise when handled.
Except for the exceptions. We had a cow that at about 4 became a total lunitic. Never messed with me but would stalk and charge anyone else. Her only daughter, the last calf she had here, is the biggest tamest PITA never gets disturbed is alwasy in the way cow we have. She;s 7 now and I swear she gets even calmer everyday. Of course the half Hereford part may be the cause of that.

KNERSIE":3tqnwwuy said:

I think the cow teachs some attitude to her calf in addition to whatever gets transferred genetically.

I appreciate all the good feedback on my EXT issue. I am also looking to possibly flush a G A R/036 cow to 6807. What do you think?

THF":19t9wehg said:
I appreciate all the good feedback on my EXT issue. I am also looking to possibly flush a G A R/036 cow to 6807. What do you think?

036 to EXT might be better.

Half hereford helps? Well I got a lot of herefords and hereford angus cross. One hereford is super crabby. She should of went several years ago. For some reason them type always take their calves, never have bag trouble, and calve on their own. Anyway, she has had a heiffer calf every year since I bought her back in 2004. Finnally kept one and its mother like daughter. I sure do think mama teaches them "fight or flight". For the most part, the herefords are kinda like pets.

Got talking about herefords and forgot why I was posting. The cow that I was talking about was a very good mother and easy to work with. Her daughters when they calve, will bunt their calves so hard they will do cart wheels in the air! I don't know if their mad at them, just trying to get them up and trying to hard. Each daughter has started doing it about 5th calf on. F1 BW cow, and she was always bread to a registered angus bull. Its something genetic...what IDK!

We have had EXT cows in our herd for years still do and haven't had any issues and trust me if a cow is hard to get along with on our place she is sent to town. Life is to short to fool around with nasty tempers. We have also heard folks say that the 004 bull has disposition problems, we have several 004 cows in the herd and haven't had any problems with them either. I do beleive as Dunn said that how you handle your cattle has a great deal to do with how they act. Face it if you are pushed yelled at and slapped you would fight back.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Latest posts