Simmentals!

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a few hereford cows and one angus cow that are bred to our simm bull. They seem to do well with them. Our major herd is simmental. I've seen most any breed do ok with Simmentals.

charlie01":5woz7rv7 said:
what breeds go well with Simmentals?
planning on breeding composite bulls and selling them.

Is it just me or does this sound a little arse about face?

here in indiana simangus are very big or like someone said any british breed David

My intention is not to attack you, but if you don't know the answer to your question, should you be breeding cattle for seedstock?
CSM

I do raise some Simm/Angus. Probably could sell some bulls but I steer them all. Make a darn good steer. One of them was Reserve champ at the local show this year. Already had the heifers sold this year before they were born.

Just bought a 600U ET 8 month old bull over the phone tonight. Have not seen him but he shoud be good.

Simmys make any breed look good.... :lol2:
We have all kinds breed with simmys...my fav are my sim-maines and my old 1/2sim-1/4ang-1/4char cow. Also have 4 lims I breed to simmys and some turn out nice, but some are ugly but they are money...LOL
Don't over look breeding a 1/2 maine bull to some simmy cows they will turn out mighty sharp.

KNERSIE":ng2wngtu said:
charlie01":ng2wngtu said:
what breeds go well with Simmentals?
planning on breeding composite bulls and selling them.

Is it just me or does this sound a little arse about face?
Knersie-

You have hit upon the concealed and often 'unseen' cost factors which destroy profits.

In light of current "Profit" management protocols, such as smaller cows being more profitable, feed efficiency genetics, and capturing breed differences and heterosis,there is no question that by using Composite breeding practices, one may optimize increased uniformity and hybrid vigor in our seedstock cattle for Terminal operations. The operative terms in this regimen are "Profitable" seedstock, and smaller size cows. Simmmental genetics is a terrific way to achieve those profits, IF the seedstock are not so large that the profits are minimized by high cost of maintaining those large breeding animals, by high feed and high pasture costs. Here again the specter of selecting the correct traits within those compound breeds determines the bottom line in the profit column!

Big, heavy cows (and bulls) don't necessarily result in big, heavy PROFITS!

But that is pretty academic, isn't it?

DOC HARRIS

CSM":3mffzvcn said:
My intention is not to attack you, but if you don't know the answer to your question, should you be breeding cattle for seedstock?
CSM

Thats what i thought too

If you were breeding F1 heifers sign me up, but as for bulls....No I am old school....this composite bull crud is going to be the death of us.....whens the last time you eat a chicken brest.....there is a perfect example of the composite breeding....They bred to get those big brests and they ended up with a big piece of dry meat.....These days i will only eat thighs and legs...Guess I view hybrid vigor different than some people, but give me a true F1 crossed with a purebull or fullblood that will compliment what your trying to achieve.

well i buy the big chicken breasts and cook them on my traeger and theyr never dry.gotta know how to cook chicken.

houstoncutter":2e5sx419 said:
If you were breeding F1 heifers sign me up, but as for bulls....No I am old school....this composite bull crud is going to be the death of us.....whens the last time you eat a chicken brest.....there is a perfect example of the composite breeding....They bred to get those big brests and they ended up with a big piece of dry meat.....These days i will only eat thighs and legs...Guess I view hybrid vigor different than some people, but give me a true F1 crossed with a purebull or fullblood that will compliment what your trying to achieve.

Yer just buying thw wrong chicken. Look for Redbird Farms. They are fed right and are cage free. I sell a ton of it every week and won't feed my family anything else.

3waycross":1rychb5p said:
houstoncutter":1rychb5p said:

Yer just buying thw wrong chicken. Look for Redbird Farms. They are fed right and are cage free. I sell a ton of it every week and won't feed my family anything else.
Even better is to not eat barnyard buzzard and stick with beef.
As to using xbred bulls, if the cow herd is purebred of a third breed not includ in the bulls genetics it might work ok. Notice the bold text!

Bull breeding, I hope you have deep pockets, it takes a lot of cash, semen, darn good dams, time and effort to make a good bull breeder, in the south I see a lot of Sim-angus. WHat kind of rep do you have now, just starteing will be hard to break in unles you do something dramatic, remember most bull breeders have a battery of donors, mix and match. in my breed you may see 1 out of every 2-3 offspring turn out to be a breeder bull. Give us a little more detail, area, # of head, acres etc.

thommoos":1353xb9x said:
Bull breeding, I hope you have deep pockets, it takes a lot of cash, semen, darn good dams, time and effort to make a good bull breeder, in the south I see a lot of Sim-angus. WHat kind of rep do you have now, just starteing will be hard to break in unles you do something dramatic, remember most bull breeders have a battery of donors, mix and match. in my breed you may see 1 out of every 2-3 offspring turn out to be a breeder bull. Give us a little more detail, area, # of head, acres etc.

Thommoos, not pickin on u, but your above statement really explains a lot of what the problem is in the seedstock industry. Know matter the breed. Not enough use of castrating knife. :tiphat:

Seems to be a number of commerical folks that want 1/2 or 1/4 Continental blood in their cows.
I have some simi herefords and some simi angus. They are not show cattle, but they deliver and raise a big calf.
I like the simi hereford cows the best.

houstoncutter":6nrsveet said:
thommoos":6nrsveet said:

Thommoos, not pickin on u, but your above statement really explains a lot of what the problem is in the seedstock industry. Know matter the breed. Not enough use of castrating knife. :tiphat:

AND I mean you may see (1 out of every 2-3 offspring turn out to be a breeder bull), those big boys who breed not your small guy like me, Hey every bull i get, ends up sold as custom beef. You may see one every once in a while that is just awesome from a pasture bull. But I must say i do believe that if you can breed bulls you should also be able to breed seed stock!!!!

Latest posts