Simmentals!

Help Support CattleToday:

i think theres some good commercial cattleman out there that would make great seedstock producers... i know a few that are so picky you cant please em.. they really do their homework

The SimAngus cross is popular around here. See a lot of Bulls of that cross for sale.

Some SimAngus heifers I have retained.
DSC00284.JPG

DSC00281.JPG

DSC00290.JPG

SimAngus calf
DSC00287.JPG

fitz said:
The SimAngus cross is popular around here. See a lot of Bulls of that cross for sale.

They are becomeing common around here. I really have seen no fault with them.

They are becomeing common around here. I really have seen no fault with them.

hillrancher-

Are there NO traits or characteristics that these cattle have that cannot be improved upon? ...no fault... infers that they are perfect seedstock candidates. I am wondeering if perhaps some of the females are getting a little too big for economical production! What are the Frame Scores (more or less) of the one's that you have seen? Do the second or third calf cows weigh more than 1200 #'s?

DOC HARRIS

I think Simmental compliment Blk Angus the best because the PB Simms help Angus with their obvious weaknesses: Poor WW and YW ; Poor REA and BF categories. In return Angus help Simmental in their obvious weaknesses in BW, IMF and MM (cutting down on the milk).

Hereford are weak in so many EPD's of economic importance --anything would be beneficial to them.

Red Angus are fairly weak in all but 1 category: WW, YW, MM, REA and IMF; BW is good

Shorthorn BW is terrible, WW and YW is fair to good, but too much milk which increases mantainence expenses, Fair to poor on IMF and Fair REA

Charolais BW is terrible, WW and YW is very good, MM is good, REA is good, but IMF is in the toilet, which can will end in Select grade cattle. Angus would be their best cross.

All the heat tolerant cattle are weak in carcass merits period.

Limmy's are select grade cattle period-- like eating a shoe.. I dont kow anyone that goes to the steakhouse and purposely orders a Select ribeye.

Gelbvieh are weak in WW, pathetic in YW, MM is getting high, and in the toilet on IMF and REA. BW is ok.

To answer your question Simmental and Blk Angus will definately work best and here is my information when looking at the various breeds:
http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/support-files/abepd.pdf

charlie01":3ll0uxfg said:
what breeds go well with Simmentals?
planning on breeding composite bulls and selling them.

JustSimmental said:
I think Simmental compliment Blk Angus the best because the PB Simms help Angus with their obvious weaknesses: Poor WW and YW ; Poor REA and BF categories. In return Angus help Simmental in their obvious weaknesses in BW, IMF and MM (cutting down on the milk).

Hereford are weak in so many EPD's of economic importance --anything would be beneficial to them.

Red Angus are fairly weak in all but 1 category: WW, YW, MM, REA and IMF; BW is good

Shorthorn BW is terrible, WW and YW is fair to good, but too much milk which increases mantainence expenses, Fair to poor on IMF and Fair REA

Charolais BW is terrible, WW and YW is very good, MM is good, REA is good, but IMF is in the toilet, which can will end in Select grade cattle. Angus would be their best cross.

Limmy's are select grade cattle period-- like eating a shoe.. I dont kow anyone that goes to the steakhouse and purposely orders a Select ribeye.

Gelbvieh are weak in WW, pathetic in YW, MM is getting high, and in the toilet on IMF and REA. BW is ok.

To answer your question Simmental and Blk Angus will definately work best and here is my information when looking at the various breeds:

Maybe you could relate to those of us raising all those terrible cattle listed on your chart where that data came from. I see a lot of contradictions there as they relate to my real world experience.

I realize this would be considered anecdotal but the YW data I an seeing in various sale catalogues from around the country do not bear out your data.

JustSimmental":1n0op150 said:

charlie01":1n0op150 said:
what breeds go well with Simmentals?
planning on breeding composite bulls and selling them.

Do you even know how to read EPDs?

Commercialfarmer":33xgdxn4 said:
KNERSIE":33xgdxn4 said:
Do you even know how to read EPDs?

None of the posts seem legit. I'm calling :bs:

I think its a case where if you buy him in his hometown for what he knows and go and sell him in the city for what he thinks he knows, you'll never have to work again.

Red Bull Breeder":bo0ljutt said:
Come on folks you just read why we are all raising the wrong breeds of cattle.

Not me.... :D ......of course my breed wasn't discussed but they are heat tolerant with good carcass traits and do provide milk for their calves...

someone can really step on toes here since 1979 i have raised beef cattle and never once that i can recall i buyer at our local sale barn asked me what breed are they and i have sold all sorts of red and black and bwf cattle all those years David

angusdave63":1q30h2t2 said:
someone can really step on toes here since 1979 i have raised beef cattle and never once that i can recall i buyer at our local sale barn asked me what breed are they and i have sold all sorts of red and black and bwf cattle all those years David
They wouldn;t need to. If they looked good they were obviously simmenthal (black)angus and if they didn't they were obviously one of those cull breeds.

Jovid":26jpg5ha said:
Red Bull Breeder":26jpg5ha said:
Come on folks you just read why we are all raising the wrong breeds of cattle.

Not me.... :D ......of course my breed wasn't discussed but they are heat tolerant with good carcass traits and do provide milk for their calves...

Don't get too cocky, yer probably next!

I just can't get over how much effort i have put into my cows, only to learn i have the wrong breed. It been just plain dumb luck that i have ever been able to sell a calf.

Red Bull Breeder":2ayqu054 said:
I just can't get over how much effort i have put into my cows, only to learn i have the wrong breed. It been just plain dumb luck that i have ever been able to sell a calf.

Well all those selects have to come from somewhere.

How do you think I feel to have all those stinkin old GV's that don't ever grow?

Well 3way if you half as smart as i think we are, we will go today and buy a couple of simmentals cows to throw in with our herds. Sounds to me like just there presence in the pasture should help our cows.

Red Bull Breeder":9sc874r2 said:
Well 3way if you half as smart as i think we are, we will go today and buy a couple of simmentals cows to throw in with our herds. Sounds to me like just there presence in the pasture should help our cows.
Make sure they're black

dun":39fety3k said:
Red Bull Breeder":39fety3k said:
Make sure they're black

but I don't like blacks!

Latest posts