Traditional Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

I read page 2 of the article -- interesting information although I didn't read it entirely. I didn't see much information based on science, rather some guys opinion.

Here in the US, we have MARC (Meat Animal Research Center), which is a third party govt run organization that has been applying real world situations to the 18 most popular breeds used in the US. They annually produce the Across breed EPD's for the above mentioned. Over the last 5-6 decades they have seen improvements based on cross-breeding (hence hybrid vigor) over straight bred cattle. There are a few associations that will tout straight breeding like Angus, but it is seen as a way to market cattle and not really looking out for the industry as a whole. Gelbvieh is in the Across breed EPD chart -- you will see that there is little information on them as far as carcass data goes-- they are limited. We are all really in the meat business here and not the cattle business, ya know.

Angus have given us a multitude of genetic defects through these very ideals (line-breeding). http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=978&page=1&start=0&ndsp=26
This is not something we aspire to.

As far as jumping on the black hide bandwagon goes --- you could sooner hold back the tide than to change how people feel about the black hide vs any other color you want to name -- in your lifetime. Why bet on a losing game. It doesn't mean you have to conform, but if you want to increase the market share of your cattle being utilized in the US or Canada -- you will have to raise what the masses want - right/wrong --it is the way it is. They will say "If your breed is so great add it to the PBSM Registry --let's see how you stack up".

The best thing about the PBSM Registry is that they do allow other breeds in. This is a way to use the best genetics from many different breeds regardless of color or any other phenotypical attribute. Who really cares if they "lose their identity" if we produce the best possible breeding animal for the masses. No one breed is perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I think this is one thing we can all agree to. Identity is not as important as producing the best quality breeding stock for those folks that work tirelessly to put something on our plate --is it?

This was done (allowing other breeds into the registry) to increase market share or said in a better way to increase economic value. ASA knew that the traditional Simmental (Fleckvieh) had a much lower economic value compared to the other breeds in the US/Canada based on the quality parameters. Simmental had to change if they wanted an equal share of the pie --it's just this simple. In the real world, everything we succeed in is based on economic value and this is one way I form my opinion about breeds or crossbreeds of cattle. The bottom line for production folks is making a profit. The ethical thing for Breeders is to produce the best individual for sales to the production folks.

A closed population offers the cattleman/woman very little, no variation; they advocate straight breeding (to increase market share), which is not always in the best interest of the whole industry and some Identity -- sadly, identity doesn't pay the bills.

Before the information age and DNA markers and EPD's were widely used as quality parameters, we used performance as a "Predictor" - for cows (cow families) and bulls. Many put so much emphasis on bulls that they sometimes forget that the Dam plays a huge role in passing the traits of economic importance. For example, we know that much of the carcass merit traits for a calf comes from the MGS (Maternal Grand Sire).

This is an interesting topic and maybe we should look at cattle based on economic value (genotype) rather than phenotype. I do know that when Simmental decided to change, thus admitting that they had some issues within the breed to hopefully overcome; the die hard Fleckvieh Breeders broke off and formed the Fleckvieh Federation.

I think this was a huge mistake, on their part, and it was like telling the world that "hey we have the best of everything" which couldn't be further from the truth and in reality (which everyone knows anyway) they are very much lacking in many of the traits of economic importance. Even Simbrah, which is Fleckvieh-based genetics has surpassed the FB Simmental in the carcass parameters (by using more PBSM bulls). This further proves how a closed population like Angus or even Fleckvieh (that advocates straight breeding) does little or nothing to increase economic value. Based on Economic Value the Full Blood SM wont work in a world of ever-increasing inputs.

:tiphat:

Meanwhile, the Simm registry, as well as any others that have jumped on the "black hide" bandwagon are evidently open registries. It's all fine and dandy but all breeds lose their identity
Quoting from http://www.remitallwest.com/pdf/TheSecr ... Cattle.pdf starting on Page 2
Hybrid vigor is the most overrated and abused theory used in the cattle business. most perceived gains from hybrid vigor are really the result of taking larger framed, higher performing bulls from one breed and mating them to moderate sised cows of another, and then proclaiming my cows just weaned off 50% of their body weight, all because of hybrid vigor. We will guarantee you this, large, high performance Europeian breeds like Gelbvieh which we have raised mated back to gelbvieh will produce heavier calves at weaning time than if you were to outcross these same gelbvieh bulls on moderate sized angus or Hereford cows.

A point they were making was that with all the breed associations having open books, the predictability of the breeds is going down the drain. The article was about linebreeding, and how over generations, you end up with more homozygous genes, however, by outcrossing just once, you lose vast amounts of progress you just made from years of linebreeding.

I agree with a lot of the things you say, but just using the example of black hides, which I'm going to make a bit of an assumption in the Simmental case that it started with a Simm X black angus, and they kept the black offspring, bred them back to Simm until PB status was reached. My point is that the color of the hide has nothing to do with the quality of the meat, yet was most likely the MOST important selection factor when breeding up to PB. Had they imported the black angus carcass or any other trait without using color as a selection criteria, I would agree with it more. Black simm is nothing more than a ride on the coattails of the Angus association's effective marketing efforts.

Also, I don't have a problem with a registry allowing something to be bred up to PB status, but I think the full blood's should stay true to their heritage.

My quotation marks in my last post got messed up a bit and were 2 lines too soon (the first 2 lines are my words, not quoted)

Here's a good time to ask what the requirements are for Certified Angus Beef (I heard it was just having a black hide, is this true?)

Thanks dun

So here are the requirements
1.Marbling score of minimum Modest or higher;
2.Lean color, texture, firmness, and overall skeletal characteristics, each of which must meet the requirements for A maturity in the U.S. grade it qualifies for;
3.Medium or fine marbling texture;
4.Ribeye Area (REA) of 10.0 to 16.0 in sq
5.Hot Carcass Weight (HCW) less than 1,000 lbs*
6.Fat Thickness (FT) less than 1.0 inch
7.Moderately thick or thicker muscling and tend to be at least moderately wide and thick in relation to their length
8.No hump exceeding 2 inches in height

So from what I gather from this, you can have a PB angus that doesn't qualify for CAB, and a crossbred mutt that does. CAB is nothing more than a grading/marketing system and has even less to do with the Angus breed than I figured.. That being said, it is probably effective at delivering a quality product to the consumer.

Nesikep,
When our oldest daughter was in college, she worked at a feedlot processing cattle. She told me that all of the black animals were put in the CAB lots. Their final outcome was determined when they hit the end of the road (processing plants).
CAB is a very successful marketing ploy. It's all in the marketing.

Also, I don't have a problem with a registry allowing something to be bred up to PB status, but I think the full blood's should stay true to their heritage.

Absolutely! I agree wholeheartedly.

I just think the "Angus" part of CAB should be left out entirely, because it's not a requirement, it is however "certified beef" and guarantees the quality of it to an extent.

Here's what you get when you start believing Certifications... Organic is getting darned close to the same

While doing some pedigree research, I ran across a Simmental Registry in another country. Here is what is posted on their website about Breed Identity:

When the identity of a breed is lost, the breed is also lost

Why? Beef is mainly produced by crossbreds and Simmentaler is used to improve the growth rate and milk (weaning weight) of the crossbred herd. Commercial beef producers associate these two important qualities with the colour and pattern of the Simmentaler and its crosses. If we lose this distinguishable breed identity, the breed will also vanish.

Color may vary from dark red to cream, spread about the body in random patterns. The following animals are not registered: black, entirely red without white underline and predominantly white.

Can i ask.......If a person is OK with todays sims, why wouldnt that person be OK with a black hereford? I know i've seen very opinionated comments on the black hereford. I do not think that todays sim is a sim. They may call it a sim, but there is nothing that resembles a sim. Its a bigger angus. At least the black hereford looks like a hereford... The whole sim craze was similar to using a char today, except that sims were better milkers back then.

cowgirl8":32kgpabx said:
Can i ask.......If a person is OK with todays sims, why wouldnt that person be OK with a black hereford? I know i've seen very opinionated comments on the black hereford. I do not think that todays sim is a sim. They may call it a sim, but there is nothing that resembles a sim. Its a bigger angus. At least the black hereford looks like a hereford... The whole sim craze was similar to using a char today, except that sims were better milkers back then.
That part is debatable. The vast majority of black Herefords I've seen are pitiful. I think the difference is that all those other breed associations allowed their breeds to be turned black. The Hereford association doesn't, therefore they should not have used the Hereford name. That's just the impression I've gotten, if I'm mistaken someone correct me.

M.Magis":8ejj2o21 said:
cowgirl8":8ejj2o21 said:
That part is debatable. The vast majority of black Herefords I've seen are pitiful. I think the difference is that all those other breed associations allowed their breeds to be turned black. The Hereford association doesn't, therefore they should not have used the Hereford name. That's just the impression I've gotten, if I'm mistaken someone correct me.
Yup! Many black Herefords are pretty sorriest looking critters and I swore they have dairy in them. They looks NOTHING to the true red Herefords. Mottled faced and solid black individuals are registered and there's some heterozygous black and even red individuals (out of black Herefords). Black Herefords do not have same advantages when it comes to crossbreeding with a solid breed such as Angus as they don't always produce black baldies like the true Herefords do. They should be called something other than black Hereford. Maybe blackford.

cowgirl8":25vidt2h said:

I don't like either one but the black Sims are better animals than the black Hereford. I think mixing angus or brangus or any other black into a breed then calling the offspring registered is a joke. I love Beefmaster cattle, but won't mess with the black ones no offense to any one who does but to me they are not true Beefmaster.

wacocowboy":lpig0vid said:
cowgirl8":lpig0vid said:

I don't like either one but the black Sims are better animals than the black Hereford. I think mixing angus or brangus or any other black into a breed then calling the offspring registered is a joke. I love Beefmaster cattle, but won't mess with the black ones no offense to any one who does but to me they are not true Beefmaster.
Should call these blackized ones something instead of using their purebred name. I won't have any problem if they called black beefmaster Blackmaster.

If you look at the success of composite animals, the most successful have been by using totally different breeds.

What I mean is they are a composite of both British and Continental genetics. SimAngus, Balancer, LimFlex, Maintainer, etc. Or they have the Box Indicus Influence.( Brangus, etc.)

This gets you the greatest influence of hybrid vigor and also each contribute traits that compliment each other.

cbcr":1j6gl7i2 said:
If you look at the success of composite animals, the most successful have been by using totally different breeds.

What I mean is they are a composite of both British and Continental genetics. SimAngus, Balancer, LimFlex, Maintainer, etc. Or they have the Box Indicus Influence.( Brangus, etc.)

This gets you the greatest influence of hybrid vigor and also each contribute traits that compliment each other.
Or just ride in the black hide fad wagon. That is why there are more Angus composites than other British breeds.

Taurus":2du19y50 said:
Just for the record, black simmentals are not bigger angus, just same size or smaller than black Angus.
This makes me question why anyone goes with todays sims if this is true..

cowgirl8":1j9shb99 said:
Taurus":1j9shb99 said:
Just for the record, black simmentals are not bigger angus, just same size or smaller than black Angus.
This makes me question why anyone goes with todays sims if this is true..
Because they are BETTER animals, that's why. They have everything the commercial folks wanted. Who would wants to have a field full with huge fleck cows? That's not economically ideal for most commercial folks.

Latest posts