SIMMENTAL Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

French Anne":32gnd4zi said:
Sometimes calving is hard, but idk How you Work in US, but if you pay attention to each calving, there is no problèm.
We bought our first sim bulls in the 80s...They are the reason i'm pretty good at getting a stuck calf out of a cow..lol..Yesterday, we had a old sim marked calf. I usually get one or two a year out of our older cows. The newest is marked just like our old 80s sim bulls.
My kids showed sims in the 90s...We started converting our mostly sim herd into sim/angus around the turn of the century. Black calves are boring, but when those colorful few come out, its like finding that prize easter egg....

French Anne":5xb91r4i said:
Sometimes calving is hard, but idk How you Work in US, but if you pay attention to each calving, there is no problèm.

For my experience in dealing with hard calving it is a problem. Even if the calf is assisted quickly there is still added stress on both cow and calf. Larger calves are sometimes slower to get up and going. Cows that have had trouble calving can
take longer to get rebred. I prefer to use bulls that are either proven calving ease AI sires, or herd bulls that are sired by them. That being said, I have heard of some farms especially dairy farms that don't seem to have issues with pulling calves.

However, today's Fleck sims has improved with the calving ease. I think there is a member on here raises good fleck Simmentals (in United States).

12743668_1053159194744140_2420849418172712015_n.jpg

Not all limousin in the US are black. Muddy gets a little carried away now and then.

Red Bull Breeder":aqy5vuty said:
12743668_1053159194744140_2420849418172712015_n.jpg

Not all limousin in the US are black. Muddy gets a little carried away now and then.

Nice looking bull :tiphat:
A few years ago when I was buying feeder calves, I bought a few Limousin heifers, they were probably the best quality calves
of that group. I always wondered how they would have done as cows, it was hard for me to sell them, when I sold the others.

French Anne":h7n3ft5o said:
Nice calf but not à simmental for me.
Nevertheless I understand that your cows are adapted to your systèm.
I don't say that your cows are bad, i'm just disappointed because american breeders make all breeds Turn black sometimes without any reason.

Hello Anne,

I've enjoyed your posts. I understand your feelings about people turning all breeds black, and don't disagree with you, but there is a reason. The US Angus Association's marketing efforts have many US consumers believing that Angus beef is better, and more tender, than that from other breeds. While I believe there may be some small element of truth in that statement for steaks and other whole muscle cuts, I also believe it's wildly overblown. I've even seen hamburger patties advertised as being 100% Angus. I don't care what anyone says, I don't believe anyone can tell the difference between ground meat from Angus and any other beef breed. Anyway, in many US markets the buyers will pay a premium for black calves, even though they may actually have only a very small percentage of Angus blood.

And for the Angus breeders here, please don't beat up on me too much. I'm a tired old man.

And in answer to your original question here, I used Simmental bulls back in the 1980's. I liked the calves, but the bulls didn't hold up well in the hot humid summers here.

I've enjoyed your posts. I understand your feelings about people turning all breeds black, and don't disagree with you, but there is a reason. The US Angus Association's marketing efforts have many US consumers believing that Angus beef is better, and more tender, than that from other breeds. While I believe there may be some small element of truth in that statement for steaks and other whole muscle cuts, I also believe it's wildly overblown. I've even seen hamburger patties advertised as being 100% Angus. I don't care what anyone says, I don't believe anyone can tell the difference between ground meat from Angus and any other beef breed. Anyway, in many US markets the buyers will pay a premium for black calves, even though they may actually have only a very small percentage of Angus blood.

Thank's for the explanation. I understand those reasons but still think it's a shame... Idk Angus beef, but for example, I know Limousin beef, and it is exellent. No need to cross it.
Thanks!

French Anne":193fi2r7 said:

Thank's for the explanation. I understand those reasons but still think it's a shame... Idk Angus beef, but for example, I know Limousin beef, and it is exellent. No need to cross it.
Thanks!

I agree, I think it is a shame in a lot of ways too. I have some Angus, and use mostly Angus bulls, but I do think that the Angus marketing helped to eliminate a lot of good cattle of other breeds. Like has been said, I have always heard that there isn't much difference between the breeds. I do understand that Angus are on average better at marbling, but have bought some CAB steaks that weren't any better or as good in a couple cases, as the other steaks at the store. When I was younger, there were some fairly large herds of Herefords, and Santa Gertrudis in the area, now those fields are mostly black cattle. I can't help but feel that a lot of years and efforts put into breeding those cowherds, were ended with the push to go to black cattle, and that the black color has been viewed as more important than quality in getting there.
Please forgive me fellow Angus breeders, and know that I will readily speak on the strong points of Angus too.

Stocker Steve":3190tvt8 said:
The simi fad locally was blaze face, now it is red. So perhaps we should be looking for reds with blaze faces?
Maybe your area, but the black hide fad is still strong here.

Muddy":8na4oswb said:
Stocker Steve":8na4oswb said:
The simi fad locally was blaze face, now it is red. So perhaps we should be looking for reds with blaze faces?

I haven't seen black cattle get a premium over good simmie or simmie cross cattle here for a couple of years for sure now. In fact, locally I would say the Simmies have the edge.

Silver":8ksio1jb said:
Muddy":8ksio1jb said:
Stocker Steve":8ksio1jb said:

I haven't seen black cattle get a premium over good simmie or simmie cross cattle here for a couple of years for sure now. In fact, locally I would say the Simmies have the edge.
You meant black Simmentals.

Parisian was the first Simmental bull I used when he first came into Canada and I have been loyal to the breed every since. I use all red bulls. American and Canadian breeders have done a great job of modernizing all breeds and spieces during my career. The black color though is a poor choice in relation to heats stree. I am glad we have polled simmentals now and I like the more moderate frame size. In the last five years Running over one hundred head of cows I have assisted only one heifer calving. I think that speaks highly of the ASA progeny testing program. You

Waterway65":zutstqh3 said:
I am glad we have polled simmentals now and I like the more moderate frame size.
In the last five years Running over one hundred head of cows I have assisted only one heifer calving.
I think that speaks highly of the ASA progeny testing program.
OR highly for both your luck and Ability in selecting suitable genetics and heifers for breeding.

Latest posts