Simmental blood lines to use

Help Support CattleToday:

wtrapp

Reaction score
Asking for opinions please. I'm beginning my search to find a good "red" simmental bull to cross with my red angus cows. In reading various threads I keep hearing about rat tails in simmental crosses but surely that isn't an across the board bad trait or there wouldn't be so many simangus cattle out there. Right or Wrong? Also since I sell most of my calves for freezer beef I'm looking for good growth of course but also good carcass traits. Any suggestions as to simmental blood lines to look at? Thanks for your time. Wayne

Recessive Genes
Red Bull x Red Cow 100% red offspring
Red Bull x black cow with recessive red gene 50% red offspring 50% red carriers
Red carrier x Red carrier 25% red 50% carrier 25% will be non-carriers
Red carrier x Non-carrier 0% red 50% carrier 50% non-carrier
Non-Carrier Black Bull x Red Cow 0% red 100% will be red carriers

Gators Rule":wt1ou0we said:
S.A.K, I would just caution against using him for heifers...

Are you suggesting a typically large Simmental bull could be too large for the angus girls? I am a newbie so I'd love to know.... thanks

Look at some Hooks Shear Force 38K sons & grandsons. WS Beef Maker(red), Hooks Pharoah 16P(hetero black) are two good red/red carriers we're using on Angus/SimAngus/ANxSH heifers and cows
Most of the Shear Force sons I've looked at sire good carcass - high marbling/ribeye/tenderness - and calving ease and udder conformation on daughters are usually very good.

NorfolkCattleCo":3to0aqew said:
Gators Rule":3to0aqew said:
S.A.K, I would just caution against using him for heifers...

Are you suggesting a typically large Simmental bull could be too large for the angus girls? I am a newbie so I'd love to know.... thanks

No I'm not saying a typically large Simmi bull is too large for Angus. What I am saying is If you look at the bull's EPD's, he has high birth weight numbers and lower Calving Ease numbers, which could spell train wreck for Angus heifers. Heck, those BW numbers could spell train wreck for grown cattle too.. Pretty bull to look at, but I wouldn't use him, especially when there are other good red Simmi bulls that would seem to be a better fit for the scenario.

Welcome to Cattle Today.

David

Any Shear Force or Force sons will add pounds and milk to the females. We have several Shear Force and Pacesetter (shear force son) daughters in production, and they have perfect udders and wean off our biggest calves. We have a 1000 pound Shear Force daughter that weaned off a calf her first year that weighed over 700 pounds (remember she is a dink at 1000 pounds), and he went on to win the carcass contest for our county fair; at 14 months he weighed 1324 and hung at 890 pounds with a choice, YG2 carcass! And, he was RED! So no CAB premium was given, and he still won!!!
Beef Maker is a son of Shear Force, and we have not used him yet but will this fall on a few. Love his EPD's, and love the genetics! Not show stuff, just good beef cows.

I'm a long time Simmental breeder and I use and highly recommend WS Beef Maker (ABS semen). We have several daughters in the herd. Super calving ease, super calf vigor, great daughters. And, yes, the DO make show calves.
Also, Mr. Amigo (Genex semen).
BTW - Simmental calve easier than the Hereford breed and within 1% of the Angus breed according to MARC Research. I don't sell a lot of bulls, but they generally go to commercial breeders with British heifers/ cows.
Here's a young BM calf:
3-09_Calves_P6S__calf_pix.jpg

Wow Jeanne, nice calf! I ordered some Beef Maker semen at the fall special price, can not wait to use it this fall. What do you find he clicks with? Does he need a cow with some rib shape?

Thanks for the pic!

I guess I can't really say. My cattle may range in color and height, but all are big barrelled (easy keepers), & clean fronted. The pic is a 3 yr old w/ 2nd calf. I use him on cows and heifers. He's my "go to" red bull.

Thanks for your opinions. I like the looks of the Beef Maker calf. A pasture full would be pretty wouldn't it. Sounds like a bull I need to check out. Thanks again and to all Happy Thanksgiving. Wayne

Latest posts