Simiangus quality?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
hi guys/gals

i have seen some ads for simiangus bulls. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this cross, and whether it could make a good sire/cow, etc.

Looks like the trend with simis, and many others, is to head torwards black. Don't know if this is necessarily good if people are culling good bulls because they aren't the right color.

Anyway, any one have any experiences with this cross?

All other breeds want to be angus so bad it hurts.

well, that's what I would like to think. Just out of curiosity how did all the other breeds turn black? I was just wondering.

ccc":1z5e9o5o said:
well, that's what I would like to think. Just out of curiosity how did all the other breeds turn black? I was just wondering.
Yes, they turned black with an Angus in the woodpile, but to reply to your quote,not Everyone wants their cattle to be Angus.

ccc":1m4f2f60 said:

Not in my pasture. I raise beef for the salebarn on grass that sell by the pound. Hate to bust your bubble they can't compete with a pasture full of tigers.

Caustic Burno":3o1cf8bx said:
ccc":3o1cf8bx said:

Not in my pasture. I raise beef for the salebarn on grass that sell by the pound. Hate to bust your bubble they can't compete with a pasture full of tigers.

Hey caustic you may be right. Can I come over to watch you work em?

Seriously, there's a farm (Sunshine Farms) in Alabama that has a sale coming up. They have a bunch of 1/2 simi - 1/2 angus bulls for sale. Seems like it might be a good combo, just wondering...

As with any breeding program, the parents and ancestry is important in the results. Complimentary breeding should be used. But like all breeding, the offspring may not be of sufficient quality that they should be used for breeding.

dun

Caustic Burno":8ddbqi4c said:
aplusmnt":8ddbqi4c said:
It is pretty popular cross in our area!

Not bad cattle, bad heat it is hard to put on pounds standing in the stock tank.

Just another example of having cattle that are bred for a specific environemnt. SimAngus and Balancers are pretty popular around here too, but Brahman influenced cattle aren't. A 100 miles south the balance swings the other direction.
There isn;t any one breed, cross or composit that fits all needs everywhere. Just because someone in MN raises straight Brahmans and someone in FL raises straight black Angus doesn;t mean that it's the optimum for that area. My bro in Seattle has an orange tree, but I sure wouldn;t consider oranges a good choice for a fruit tree in that area.

dun

Cypress, The Sunshine farms sale will have some great Bulls for sale. They have a great program there. Take a look at some of the other farms that have bulls at this sale, they should be good quality also but bring a little less. ???? did you notice they have a min price listed for all the bulls for sale, you will have an idea of what you will have to pay for one you like.

I may be there also, it is only 100 miles from me.

dun....are you very close to Joplin MO? We live about twenty miles from there just over Kansas border. Brahman influenced cattle aren't very popular here either, seems like it gets hot here but guess not hot enough to need that influence much. I know one of our neighbors raises Brangus but he is only one I know in area that does.

The Simm/Angus is extremely hot right now. 1/2 bloods will sometimes bring more than the Purebreds - females & bulls. BUT, you don't want to use a bull that is out of an extremely LARGE parent bred to/by and extremely SMALL parent. You will get too much fluctuation in your calf crop. You want "like" parents for the mix.
The commercial men are gobbling them up in big cattle country.

C HOLLAND":2bilfk4v said:
Cypress, The Sunshine farms sale will have some great Bulls for sale. They have a great program there. Take a look at some of the other farms that have bulls at this sale, they should be good quality also but bring a little less. ???? did you notice they have a min price listed for all the bulls for sale, you will have an idea of what you will have to pay for one you like.

I may be there also, it is only 100 miles from me.

Hey "C", that's the kind of info I was looking fo.

If you are there, could you give me an idea of what the 1/2 semi -1/2 angus bulls are going for? I'd really appreciate it. I'll name my next born after you. I'm thinking of using a simiangus to cross with my brangus cows. Just thinking at this point. Where the ranch is located in AL is about 400 miles from me. I do like the way they put together their catalogs. The price is nice. I'm concerned about their EPD's , though. They have EPD's for simiangus cross. If you read the catalog it sounds as if they calculate their own from the data that they collect from their farm. Sinds kind of fishy, but the bulls do look nice.

Cypress,
It sounds like you have a good plan to me,
With brangus cows I think it would be a great cross for you.
As mentioned earlier, make sure "mom or dad" didn't have a 100#
+ BW.
Here in SW Mo. they dock brangus but I like a little influance,
not for heat or bugs but for longevety.

Sorry about the spelling...
After all I am,

hillbilly

hillbilly":3p5n2tpj said:
Cypress,
It sounds like you have a good plan to me,
With brangus cows I think it would be a great cross for you.
As mentioned earlier, make sure "mom or dad" didn't have a 100#
+ BW.
Here in SW Mo. they dock brangus but I like a little influance,
not for heat or bugs but for longevety.

Sorry about the spelling...
After all I am,

hillbilly

Hillbilly,

Between myself and my father we have three seperate herds of cattle. We mostly run angus bulls (sometimes brangus) with angus cross and brangus cows. I'm thinking of experimentating with the third herd (about 20 brangus cows) I'm looking for a bull that will still give me a good bit of angus influence, keep the black, and have a little more growth potential. Looks like the simiangus might fit the bill. But I'm not gonna compete with the big boys on price. If it's too high, then I might as well buy a black simmental (or substitute another growth black bull here)

Cypress, I will do if I go.

One thing I can tell you from this past years auctions I have been to. The PB Sims are out selling the PB Angus and the Sim/Angus cross is a hot item also. Like Jeane said you just have to make sure they both (parents)match up in the size dept or you can flip a coin on what you get.

I may be getting some of the Macho semen from Simvalley and cross with a 6I6 angus daughter this spring.

I have a neighbor that raises his own bulls,
He has six good cows that he takes over to our local vet every spring and has them AI'ed to good bulls.
They aren't regestered cows, just dang good ones.
He says he averages about $110 each in vet bills per cow.
He has been doing it for about 10 years, there is a noticable
differance from the road and a big differance up close.
just a thought.

hillbilly

Latest posts