high quality herd fast?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":394r4vpa said:
ez14":394r4vpa said:
where i read this the main focus was on fertility (that's why you only give them 21 days) and that forces the "cream to rise" as he put it

i'm not experienced enough to say whether i think fertility is the "fix all" trait like i've seen some people say but it's for sure a good one to select for and i've seen some good argument for it

I don't consider fertility, or any other trait, to be"fix all", but it is the one I start with. As far as I'm concerned, if a cow won't have a calf every year then her other qualities don't matter.
the way i see it you need to cull in order meaning the order things need to happen in so first is

fertility she needs to get pregnat

Then calving ease she need to have a calf

Then milking the calf needs to grow

Then longevity the longer she lives the cheaper she is (the initial cost averaged out) :2cents:

Anybody see any flaws to my thinking?

I personally see no flaw in your thinking. Many here will say you need to broaden your thinking. Since this scenario is hypothetical, I would throw out that eared heifers won't reach sexual maturity as early as say an angus. Nor will a chi influenced heifer. Probably not many of those in your area.

Some folks do care about disposition, good weanweights in the calves, good udders and low inputs (easy keepers vs hard doers).

Bigfoot":3vep8wh9 said:
I personally see no flaw in your thinking. Many here will say you need to broaden your thinking. Since this scenario is hypothetical, I would throw out that eared heifers won't reach sexual maturity as early as say an angus. Nor will a chi influenced heifer. Probably not many of those in your area.
I could make the list longer but things like udders and feet id say go under longevity and BCS go under fertility

I did see a chi heifer on cragslist once id never heard of them before that and i still dont know anything about them

Muddy":y4n4t32j said:
Some folks do care about disposition, good weanweights in the calves, good udders and low inputs (easy keepers vs hard doers).
The list i made is one i think most people could go by i want good disposition (and meant to put that in) but that might not be necessary in all operations good weanweights in calves goes under milk

The list is a very basic list to start with (one that i think every operation need to follow to make money)

ez14":2alhc11h said:
Rafter S":2alhc11h said:
ez14":2alhc11h said:
where i read this the main focus was on fertility (that's why you only give them 21 days) and that forces the "cream to rise" as he put it

i'm not experienced enough to say whether i think fertility is the "fix all" trait like i've seen some people say but it's for sure a good one to select for and i've seen some good argument for it

I don't consider fertility, or any other trait, to be"fix all", but it is the one I start with. As far as I'm concerned, if a cow won't have a calf every year then her other qualities don't matter.
the way i see it you need to cull in order meaning the order things need to happen in so first is

fertility she needs to get pregnat

Then calving ease she need to have a calf

Then milking the calf needs to grow

Then longevity the longer she lives the cheaper she is (the initial cost averaged out) :2cents:

Anybody see any flaws to my thinking?

I'd say it a little bit different:

* If you don't have new calves every year, you'll eventually go broke (and find something else to do). Fertility is a must.
* If you have cattle with bad attitudes, you'll have no fun (and eventually find something else to do). Good working temperaments is a must.
* If you don't have animals who maintain condition and stay healthy no matter what (bad droughts / stupid-hot summers / blizzard-filled winters) mean you won't make it long -- as there's a tough time getting ready to start all the time. Hardy cattle are a must.
* If you aren't proud of the quality of the dining experience you're offering to those who eat the beef you grow, what's the point? Raising critters who'll taste good when you eat them is a must.

Everyone's programs are different. Develop your own program and see which animals fit in your program/environment. Some folks only wanted 400lbs calves at weaning time while others want them to be over 600lbs.

Muddy":3u7sdghg said:
Everyone's programs are different. Develop your own program and see which animals fit in your program/environment. Some folks only wanted 400lbs calves at weaning time while others want them to be over 600lbs.
true what i was thinking is a cow who weans a 700lb calf when she should only wean a 500 or 600lb calf wont have a very good BCS and wont breed back on time thats (one reason) why fertility is over milk/calf growth

ez14":1i2z10az said:
Muddy":1i2z10az said:
true what i was thinking is a cow who weans a 700lb calf when she should only wean a 500 or 600lb calf wont have a very good BCS and wont breed back on time thats (one reason) why fertility is over milk/calf growth
One key: GENETICS!!!!! I can have cows that raises big 700lbs calves without lost some body condition and still get bred on time.

Fertility is important yes, but you cannot ignore the other traits to keep the cow stays in your program longer without giving you some trouble.

Muddy":3q37bj2s said:
ez14":3q37bj2s said:
Muddy":3q37bj2s said:
One key: GENETICS!!!!! I can have cows that raises big 700lbs calves without lost some body condition and still get bred on time.

Fertility is important yes, but you cannot ignore the other traits to keep the cow stays in your program longer without giving you some trouble.
yes genetics are huge and pound of intake vs pound of calf growth is going to be a big part of my program

i want one pound of intake for the cow to make two pounds of growth for the calf (sarcasm)

ez14":38uiqgwa said:
Muddy":38uiqgwa said:
That will depend largely on your feed... Mine stay on the farm and eat grass/alfalfa, which is significantly better than the bunchgrass the range cows have to deal with. I consider anything under about 500 lbs (except for first calves) a disappointment... I've still got a few of them, but the better half of my herd will do better than 600 in under 200 days, and most will still look decent after it (a few exceptions).

Latest posts