Simiangus quality?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which sales are you going to??? At the Alabama BCIA sales, (according to the published after action reports) Angus is beating Simmental (in the averages) and Sim-Angus is beating either of the parent breeds with Charolais and Hereford bringing up the rear while Limousins and Gelbviehs have disappeared this year.

Brandonm2,

Sunshine farms in Alabama is having a bull sale this Friday or Saturday (can't remember which)

I went to their website(http://www.sunshinefarms.com), and have looked at their sales catalog, and they really seem to have some quality bulls. You bama boys would know better than me about their quality , but we don't have a simiangus breeder close to me.

I have never been to a registered Simmental sale. Angus, Hereford, Limousins, Charolais, Pinzgauer, Senepol sales, yes; but I don't even get sale catalogs from the Simmie people (although I have had some Simmie females and used a Simmie bull in the past). All I know about the cattle at Sunshine farms is what we read in Cattle Today and their ad in the Alabama Cattleman mag.

IMO You have to read the sales catalog and weed out the sales HYPE and look at the bulls and data supplied and take the one you feel best suits your needs.

They all Build up their cattle, because who would show up with a statement,,,,,,WELL THEY ARE OKEEEEEEEEE DOOKEEEEEEEEE Cows come get yallllll some,,,,lol :)

Hey Brandonm I will be at Culman BCIA sale on the 10th to look at some Charolais Bulls Will you be there

I didn't go to the others....I just read the breed averages posted on the AL BCIA website afterwards. It sounded like you got a good deal on the Char heifers in Uniontown. There are MORE Anguses than other breed bulls in the sale so there are more cheap Anguses so I can see how it might look they weren't doing as well as some others. And the $5000 Simmental was bought by the University experiment station (if they had ANY brains they could get semen/even bulls donated to them by just asking so I don't know why Auburn was actually bidding). I might be in Cullman, though I ain't ready to buy anything yet.

Brandonm, I am very pleased with my Charolais heifers that I bought and the the 2 Lim angus cross heifers also. I may breed all 5 to one of the Charolais bulls from this sale since I am not setup to do AI yet. I may just wait until this spring and do my 3 angus cows that are due in Jan.

I picked up the photo's of the heifers from the Uniontown sale today and will be posting them later.

"Cypress",

The SimAngus cross has become a very popular item in our production sale as well the last few years. We held our 31st annual bull sale this past October and they were one of the most talked about pens of bulls all day.....(we have both Black and Red SimAngus) along with a few other breeds. 80 head of SimAngus bulls averaged $3700 with a top of $5500. Many of our commercial customers use this bull on Brangus or F1 type cows and come back for more every year. My advice would be to study your lesson and find a reputable breeder that will stand behind their product and are willing to help you find the right animal for your situation. SunShine Farms have an excellent program and have been working hard on the SimAngus business longer than most. We have done business with them and highly recommend them.

aplusmnt":334ha85k said:
dun....are you very close to Joplin MO? We live about twenty miles from there just over Kansas border. Brahman influenced cattle aren't very popular here either, seems like it gets hot here but guess not hot enough to need that influence much. I know one of our neighbors raises Brangus but he is only one I know in area that does.

SE of Lebanon

C HOLLAND":1ls76cl2 said:
Brandonm, I am very pleased with my Charolais heifers that I bought and the the 2 Lim angus cross heifers also. I may breed all 5 to one of the Charolais bulls from this sale since I am not setup to do AI yet. I may just wait until this spring and do my 3 angus cows that are due in Jan.

I picked up the photo's of the heifers from the Uniontown sale today and will be posting them later.

It sounds like you did really well. I don't understand that sale at all. The bulls did surprisingly well ($2149 avg); but what you'll were paying for those heifers (given this cattle market) was approaching borderline theft ($872 avg).

Talk about timein, I got the Dec. TN Cooperator in the mail this AM the Tn Simmental Ass. has a 1/2 page add for you guessed it SimangusX!

When looking at Sim/Angus bulls will they have epd's on them or do you have to just look at the epd's on Sire and Dam? Wondering how much information is available on Cross bulls especially F1's

When looking at SimAngus bulls, you should see EPDs on that specific animal if the breeder runs their data through the Simmental Association. ASA provides EPDs through their multi-breed evaluation that takes into account both sides of the pedigree. You can look up the SimAngus EPD percentile chart on their website at http://www.Simmgene.com to see where those specific EPDs rank out of all the animals in their database.

aplusmnt":1y7uvee2 said:
When looking at Sim/Angus bulls will they have epd's on them or do you have to just look at the epd's on Sire and Dam? Wondering how much information is available on Cross bulls especially F1's

The breeder that I was referring to does have EDP's for each bull for sale. They have 3/4 simm - 1/4 angus; 1/2 sim 1/2 angus, and all sim and all angus. They list the average epd's for each in the front of the sale catalog, and individual edps under each one.

Latest posts