Help me find a quality Hereford breeder

Help Support CattleToday:

T & B farms

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a couple more Hereford bulls this winter/ early spring to go on my commercial angus cows. It is hard to find good Hereford bulls locally here. I am in the very corner of se Kansas. I am not afraid to drive a few hours. They must be polled, absolutly no horns. I can spend 5-7k each on them, would prefer not to go much higher than that. Will this price get me some good bulls? I could buy some very good angus bulls locally for this price. Looking for highly maternal bulls, yet still with acceptable growth. People go nuts over my Baldie heifers, so that is what I'm looking to produce more of. Any recommendations on breeders is much appreciated.

Try contacting Danny Miller at JMS victor domino http://jmsvictordomino.com

Not sure if it's too far of a drive.

They have very good maternal cattle. I have a bull that came from cows they sold bred. He is one of the best looking Herefords I've seen in my area. And his best quality is docility. I have no problem having the kids in the field around him. He's definitely a change from the angus bulls we have ran for years.

Forgot to add I'm pretty sure he is Mrvictordomino here on the forum.

kentuckyguy":2moizj8y said:
Try contacting Danny Miller at JMS victor domino http://jmsvictordomino.com

Not sure if it's too far of a drive.

They have very good maternal cattle. I have a bull that came from cows they sold bred. He is one of the best looking Herefords I've seen in my area. And his best quality is docility. I have no problem having the kids in the field around him. He's definitely a change from the angus bulls we have ran for years.

Forgot to add I'm pretty sure he is Mrvictordomino here on the forum.

+1

Harrell Hereford in Baker City Oregon. They are a ways away from you but they have real quality cattle. They have a sale in early February. It is an event filled three days. McKenzie working cow horses, Harrell Hereford sale, and Thomas Angus sale.

Thank you guys. I will get busy with your suggestions. I am very picky, I won't buy a bull without seeing the dam and her breedback/calving records. I'm every bull salesman's nightmare

There are several in OK. Langford Herefords and Curry Herefords both raise good cattle. They raise both horned and polled but if you tell them what you want I'm sure they can find something that will work. If you are willing to travel to the OKC area or further I can list more.

elkwc":2d45e0no said:
There are several in OK. Langford Herefords and Curry Herefords both raise good cattle. They raise both horned and polled but if you tell them what you want I'm sure they can find something that will work. If you are willing to travel to the OKC area or further I can list more.

I have been eyeing Langford pretty hard. They sure have some good looking bulls on their web sight.
I would not hesitate to go to okc.

Danny has some fantastic Herefords,nobody can argue that..but surely in a state that's known for producing quality cattle. There's got to be some good PH cattle, closer to the house...

ALACOWMAN":358honce said:
Danny has some fantastic Herefords,nobody can argue that..but surely in a state that's known for producing quality cattle. There's got to be some good PH cattle, closer to the house...

I agree Danny has some outstanding cattle and would be a good choice. But there is several good breeders in both KS and OK. I know of a few in MO but just from them coming to sales in our area or from the internet. Sure MO has several more. It seems many of the breeders don't advertise a lot or show much anymore. They rely more on their reputation and word of mouth. A person can get online and look at the state members and see who is close to them. I sent him a pm and gave a few names of some breeders I respect.

Davemk":2a2qb41i said:
http://www.huthcattle.com/
Looks like they have good cattle and they will ship for a real reasonable price. I was going to buy a couple bred cows from them a couple years ago but they ended up having a guy come in that wanted to buy all the bred cows they had for sale before we had agreed on which ones I was going to get

Kingfisher":2d5n76jr said:
How are those Kentucky fescue bulls going to adapt to SE Kansas?

We are 99% fescue here, but the heat worries me. I know nothing about Kentucky, but it gets brutally hot and humid here. I had a group of hunters here in September from south Texas. It was 102 and 98% humidity. Said they had never been so hot and miserable.

Kingfisher":eck40rgm said:
How are those Kentucky fescue bulls going to adapt to SE Kansas?
Kentucky fescue bulls will do fine pretty much anywhere they go. If cattle are adaptive to fescue they will certainly do even better grazing any other grass. One thing to look for if one is concerned about summertime heat and humitiy would be bulls that have the ability to shed off and have slick hair coats. The Victor Domono's certainly do this well, some other bloodlines not so well.
DM

T & B,

I just found a Hereford sale this Saturday, Dec 2nd, at the Missouri State fairgrounds in Sedalia, MO.
Starts at noon but it is mostly a female sale. But, it might give you a chance to talk with some of the consignors.
There is a slim chance I go as I would like to add a few head of Herefords but not sure I can fit it into the schedule.

http://moherefords.org/wp-content/uploa ... 018_lr.pdf

Latest posts