Sick Zebu Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

mjbrasberger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question. I have a sick bull that has been depressed for about 3 weeks we took him to the vet last week and he got 7 way shot. Vet said that he did not know what was wrong. Was running a low fever. He is off feed. He just stands around. Today he started looking like he was going to fall over. We just gave him Liquamycin. He is just laying down now, breathing heavy. Mucus is coming out his nose, tip is dry. He just started having diareha still laying down. His testis are swollen and he has some raw areas. Can anyone help me find out what might be wrong. I looked at bovine diseases but could not find one that matched. He is about 4 yrs old. PLEASE HELP this is my baby...

Believe I'd find me a different vet.
Wish I could help but diagnosis is certainly not my strong suit. I use LA200 for everything but in this case, I'm not comfortable saying that it will help.

mjbrasberger":1o99ki3g said:
I have a sick bull PLEASE HELP this is my baby...

The words "bull" and "baby" do not belong in the same post...

:shock:

Have you seen him urinate lately? I had a steer a few years back that had pretty much same characteristics, but without swollen testes as he did'nt have any, but had a bladder stone and could'nt pee. On 1 hand sounds like he has pneumonia, and a urinary infection.

Well we are not sure what was wrong with him. He died later that night. His penis and testis were real swollen. When Pine Hills came to get him wednesday evening. Thanks alot for all your help. Yes we are going to get a differnt vet. There are not many that will treat bovine around here.
Janet Brasberger :(

Sure sorry to hear that. Would like to ask if his belly was swollen before passing?

Yes his belly was real swollen. Sorry it took so long to reply, but we went to our ranch near cross palins this weekend.

Janet Brasberger

I'm so sorry. You obviously did all you could.

Alice

Would bet some money then if belly was swollen he had a bladder stone, and could'nt pee, and urine built up under his skin. If so, vet could have made a heifer out of him.

How can we tell ahead of time in the future. Does this just happen or is there something that causes this? We have only had cows since 2004. We had a bull and 2 heifers. We have 2 heifers, a calf and one on the way now and we do not want to lose another animal. This was a expensive learning experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
:shock:
Janet

Vet explained it to me that a bladder stone gets caught in urinary tract blocking the urine from escaping, which in turn builds up under the skin, consequently, causing the the belly to swell from the amount of urine. If it was to happen again, which is probably not to likely, I would watch to see if he was urinating,or look to see if his sheath was wet, if he showed same symtoms, and belly was swelling. Maybe isolate him in an area where you can see on ground or floor of stall , probably with no bedding so you can observe if he pee's or not. Not to likely you would need bedding anyways, as he would spend most of his time just standing.

Janet

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds to me like your bull had urinary calculi, more commonly referred to as "water belly". As roadapple said it is a blockage of the urinary tract. The only treatment I know of is expensive surgery to reroute the urine duct and this would most likely ruin him as a bull. When I first encountered this 25+ years ago surgery was not an economic option.

FWIW-in over 30 years I have only encountered this 2 times. The good news is this is a relativly rare occurrence. It's unfortunate you had to experience it with an animals that was special to you, but you'll likely never experience it again.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

mjbrasberger":14k2c19l said:
I have a sick bull that has been depressed for about 3 weeks we took him to the vet last week and he got 7 way shot. Vet said that he did not know what was wrong.

Brock and Roadapple - I'd agree with your diagnosis except that it's been going on for such a long period of time. I can't see an animal being completely blocked up for so long and still alive. If it were only 3 days that would be different. Might be wrong though. Thoughts?

milkmaid":3bbo9r5t said:
mjbrasberger":3bbo9r5t said:
I have a sick bull that has been depressed for about 3 weeks we took him to the vet last week and he got 7 way shot. Vet said that he did not know what was wrong.

Brock and Roadapple - I'd agree with your diagnosis except that it's been going on for such a long period of time. I can't see an animal being completely blocked up for so long and still alive. If it were only 3 days that would be different. Might be wrong though. Thoughts?

MM

Good point. Been several years so my CRS is kicking in but seems it did take only a few days to take it's toll. Possibly this one started as a partial blockage & therefore took longer?? I guess we'll never know for sure. Too bad the vet wasn't more (to put it nicely) helpful. At least the owners did try to get vet help.

Good luck & happy trails to all.

Brock

Brock could be right on partial blockage, and that's why it went on for awhile, but if I recall correctly, it did take an extended time Seems like 10 to 12 day's, maybe little longer. Can't recall how long before urine causes toxic reaction.

Thanks alot everyone for your help. I am a city girl trying to raise some animals. Sometimes I feel like I am in the show green acres. LOL We have mini cows and fallow deer. this does not seem to be our year.

Janet Brasberger

I want to throw this in for thought and comments - could it possibly be from snake bites?

I'm telling y'all.. this terrible problem a lot of us are facing with not having a vet that will treat large animals is going to be epidemic soon. It sure makes it hard for new folks trying to get into the business!

I agree. We have a good vet by us but he his large animals is limited to treating horses. He did look at an alpaca once for us. Make me wish I was a vet.

Latest posts