Sick Gelbvieh bull

Help Support CattleToday:

thebabybrahma

Reaction score
I have a 3 year registered Gelbvieh bull who for so reason or another has gotten very sick. He was down and the vet came to check him out. Only thing he found wrong was low calcium in his blood. He got up the next day and started to mend, but only for about 2 weeks, then a relapse. He has been to the vet for a physical check out and still nothing. They sent blood to the University to check for anything abnormal that couldn't be checked for at the vet station. He has lost about 500 lbs, he doesn't want to eat anything (calf starter, pellet feed, orchard grass hay) except for bread. He is sweating normally at his nose. Any ideas???? :cry2: :help:

Does he have diarreha? Has the vet tested for Johnes? That's the only thing I can think of that's recurring, and would make him lose weight quickly.

I would assume that the vet gave him calcium IV and he seemed better the next day .I would try that again . It does not sound good . Maybe recheck his temp to make sure some secondary infection has not taken over . Possibly some probios and B complex to help appetite .

Larry

Low calcium is pretty serious and doesnt just happen. He is not making milk. The body will take calcium from the bones before the blood levels drop, I'm thinking hardware of some type...

Be suspicious of digestive issue as impaction, displaced abomasum of obstruction , partial or complete. Also don't forget about hardware disease.

G Lesamiz, DVM

thanks for info, i think hardware too. some of the tests i know that were to be run were for Johnnes, cancer and BVD. Any ideas for something to get him to eat abit, so he won't be just hide over bones? The night he got sick, we had unrolled a roll of hay and he took up his usually area to eat and the next morning he was down. We searched around and thru the remaining hay but found nothing and it has been downhill ever since. Thanks again for the info, test results are supposed to be back on Tuesday.

Get the vet to tube oil. Instead of mineral oil use corn, peanut or vegetable oil. The vet should have the long tube used when a horse colics. Don't try this yourself. A calf esophageal feeder is not long enough. These food oils may clear an impaction and provide high energy calories. Try also pouring some corn oil on feed. Some cattle like the taste. The goal is to tube enoung oil until it comes out the other end. It may take several tubings. Good luck.

It would help if you have observed some signs such as, does he grunt moving downhill, does he kick at his stomach, does he stand with a "tucked up" appearance, urinate frequently, temp slightly elevated, shallow breathing? Try walking him downhill to see if he grunts, then turn him and walk him up hill and see if he still grunts if in fact he grunted going downhill. Was the hay you fed baled along a road? Could he have eaten some plastic bagging causing an impaction? But a magnet is only $2.00 so I'd stick one in him.

Test came back..he has Johne's....looks like he is stockmarket bound....what exactly is Johne's and more importantly how can it be prevented?? thanks for everyone's help

The Gelbvieh is ready to travel, looking for a replacement... thinking about a Gert or a Braunvieh...we only have about a dozen cross bred cows right now, but have ran as many as 30... we have had good luck with the Gerts (even though we take a hit for the ear ), anybody use a Braunvieh bull???

Might want to make your next step testing the other cows, and after that look for a new bull.

Yes, you'd better test your other cows. Unfortunately Johnes is VERY contagious.. the feces of your bull can spread it to your cows and calves. You'll have to watch for it to reoccur for years.

thebabybrahma":2rb7auq0 said:
The Gelbvieh is ready to travel, looking for a replacement... thinking about a Gert or a Braunvieh...we only have about a dozen cross bred cows right now, but have ran as many as 30... we have had good luck with the Gerts (even though we take a hit for the ear ), anybody use a Braunvieh bull???
Yes. The Cattle Show just ran a program on Braunviehs. Showing again tomorrow at 10:00am cst, and again on the 23rd at10:00pm cst.

thebabybrahma":3t8sjs7o said:

If you liked the red Gerts but not the ear you may want to try a Red Poll bull.

Latest posts