show your mounts

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":2g1olfzq said:
skyhightree1":2g1olfzq said:
Hoss very nice. I don't bow hunt as much as I use too and never killed any mountable ones with the bow.

I bow hunted 6 or 7 years without killing a big deer. I finally came to the realization that the only chance I had at killing a bruiser was to hunt were there are bruisers. Sounds simple but it is very true. Once I concentrated on hunting areas that held big bucks (mostly the Midwest states) I started killing big ones. No matter how much skill I had, how scent free I was or how sound my my hunting strategy was if there were no big bucks in the area I had 0% chance of killing one. It has worked out well for me.

You definitely can't kill what you can't see.

Nice mounts Hoss! Thanks for posting them.

A 154" 8 point is impressive and all I can say about that latest kill is WOW!!!

HOSS":av3y0ret said:
skyhightree1":av3y0ret said:
Hoss very nice. I don't bow hunt as much as I use too and never killed any mountable ones with the bow.

I bow hunted 6 or 7 years without killing a big deer. I finally came to the realization that the only chance I had at killing a bruiser was to hunt were there are bruisers. Sounds simple but it is very true. Once I concentrated on hunting areas that held big bucks (mostly the Midwest states) I started killing big ones. No matter how much skill I had, how scent free I was or how sound my my hunting strategy was if there were no big bucks in the area I had 0% chance of killing one. It has worked out well for me.

Your absolutely right about hunting where the big ones are. That's not just true with the big ones it's true with any game. I've had a lot of guys ask me how I kill so many deer and I tell them it's simple. First, hunt where the game is. Second, hunt a lot. They ask me about camouflage, scents, and all kinds of gadgets that someone on tv uses or they've seen in a magazine. I tell them if that gives them confidence to stay in the woods longer then use them.

That picture has been around the block a few times. It's kinda like the black panther trail cam pic. Wildcat fans should recognize it.

You guys have killed some nice bucks!
Hoss that 8 pt is impressive! :tiphat: I have a friend that killed an 8 pt that netted 152 or 153....has a 22" inside spread. Did you kill those in Illinois? I think I remember you having a lease there?

ousoonerfan22":mbn365gx said:
You guys have killed some nice bucks!
Hoss that 8 pt is impressive! :tiphat: I have a friend that killed an 8 pt that netted 152 or 153....has a 22" inside spread. Did you kill those in Illinois? I think I remember you having a lease there?

This 8 pt only has an 18" inside spread. He makes up his score in tine length. He was a true monarch. I didn't kill him on my lease. I killed him on a small 40 acre piece of property in northern Illinois that I had permission to hunt when I lived up that way. Most of the bucks that I showed pics of were Illinois deer though. I have a pile of racks from bucks I didn't mount. I have some pretty nice ones that I should have mounted but for whatever reason didn't.

I don't have a single mount of any kind. Always said that if I caught a bass 10 lbs. or over I'd mount it. I caught it one day but it broke off. Walls are still empty.

Some very impressive trophies. Don't have a pic with me but I do have a 7 lb Rainbow Trout I caught here on a local stream. I was 13 years old and with my Dad so it made for a great memory. Only thing I've ever mounted.

This was my biggest 8pt. BC score was 168, but the FWC of MO. has him now in their headquarters. I put a landowners tag on him, that I bought from the landowner where I was hunting. He ended up getting in lots of trouble, but I would've loved to had my deer.
Not taking anything away from anyone but, killing big deer in MO. or KS. starts at 170 BC. in my book. We use to bow hunt KS. every year and someone killed a 150+BC every year. I've never killed a buck in KS. yet. But I've seen some whoppers, I'm after a 180+ and not going to settle for anything less.

highgrit":z77rt3yv said:

This was my biggest 8pt. BC score was 168, but the FWC of MO. has him now in their headquarters. I put a landowners tag on him, that I bought from the landowner where I was hunting. He ended up getting in lots of trouble, but I would've loved to had my deer.
Not taking anything away from anyone but, killing big deer in MO. or KS. starts at 170 BC. in my book. We use to bow hunt KS. every year and someone killed a 150+BC every year. I've never killed a buck in KS. yet. But I've seen some whoppers, I'm after a 180+ and not going to settle for anything less.

That's a fine buck right there! I hate that you lost him.

I totally agree with you on a big buck starting at 170 in Kansas but if your going to hold out for a 170 then you may never kill a buck in Kansas. I hunted in one of the best trophy units in Kansas 3 years and I only saw 2 buck that I thought would make Boone and Crockett. One of thos3 did get killed and was 4 inches short. The other was about a half a mile onto the neighbors place and I have no doubt he probably went over 180. The last year I hunted there four of us each killed 150 plus deer in one day of hunting. There were big deer there but B&C bucks are rare anywhere.

Nice bucks all yall have... I have did a guided hunt or hunted deer anywhere other than Va. My mounts all came from property we own and I manage the deer that are killed and who hunts it. I may never kill a big one like some of yalls but I have fun :tiphat:

skyhightree1":1cd4tx0y said:
Nice bucks all yall have... I have did a guided hunt or hunted deer anywhere other than Va. My mounts all came from property we own and I manage the deer that are killed and who hunts it. I may never kill a big one like some of yalls but I have fun :tiphat:

Sky, you kill good bucks. Deer should be judged against the deer that live in the same area. Like Hoss said, to kill Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young bucks you have hunt where there are some. This country I live in will never grow one. The soils are to poor. So when I'm hunting here I'm not hunting B&C bucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not hunting big bucks for this area. And a 120 inch buck here is as good a trophy as a 160 inch buck in Kansas. You just have to keep it in perspective and enjoy the hunt.
BTW, I've never been on a guided deer hunt either.

Deepsouth":3qxfdtt6 said:
skyhightree1":3qxfdtt6 said:

Sky, you kill good bucks. Deer should be judged against the deer that live in the same area. Like Hoss said, to kill Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young bucks you have hunt where there are some. This country I live in will never grow one. The soils are to poor. So when I'm hunting here I'm not hunting B&C bucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not hunting big bucks for this area. And a 120 inch buck here is as good a trophy as a 160 inch buck in Kansas. You just have to keep it in perspective and enjoy the hunt.
BTW, I've never been on a guided deer hunt either.

Very true statements you make there buddy. :tiphat: I know one thing without a doubt if I had to survive off of fish and I couldn't shoot them with a bow I would starve lol I caught 1 big fish my entire life 7lb bass 21 inches long when I was 14 I should have mounted it cause I will never catch another lol

Deepsouth, have you ever flown in a piper cub at first and last light in KS. I have plenty of times and seen some real Hogs. I enjoy flying and spotting more than hunting anymore. It's hard to believe how good a deer can hide in a broad open field. I hunted AB. and SK. in the 80's and my 2 hunting buddies both have BC. bucks from there. I passed on a 184 BC. net out of the truck window. My buddy in the back seat jumped out and shot him. He's killed 3 booners so far, but none really hunting. IMO We use to trade hunts for fishing trips, and a warm place to come in January and Febuary.

highgrit":nkn6rdvw said:
Deepsouth, have you ever flown in a piper cub at first and last light in KS. I have plenty of times and seen some real Hogs. I enjoy flying and spotting more than hunting anymore. It's hard to believe how good a deer can hide in a broad open field. I hunted AB. and SK. in the 80's and my 2 hunting buddies both have BC. bucks from there. I passed on a 184 BC. net out of the truck window. My buddy in the back seat jumped out and shot him. He's killed 3 booners so far, but none really hunting. IMO We use to trade hunts for fishing trips, and a warm place to come in January and Febuary.

When were you hunting Kansas highgrit?

Latest posts