Watch your step.

Help Support CattleToday:

Timber rattlers don't like it up here on the high side of the creek, TG. I've only seen three in the past 19 years.

bball said:
Howd you dispatch him Grit?

I'm guessing he caught him behind the head with his teeth and clamped down.

Or he might have grabbed him by the tail and popped him like a whip.

Or it could be that he caught one behind his ear :hide: :lol2:

However it played out, it worked :tiphat:

JMJ Farms said:
bball said:

I'm guessing he caught him behind the head with his teeth and clamped down.

Or he might have grabbed him by the tail and popped him like a whip.

However it played out, it worked :tiphat:

Thanks my friend. Got a good chuckle out of that response!

That sucker would hurt you . Stepped on a big cotton mouth on edge of pond the other day I'd take getting near a rattler any day over a cotton mouth but I still don't wanna mess with a rattler either

True Grit Farms said:
Canebrake came on the wrong side of the creek.
Is that the same as a Timber Rattler?
I believe Timber Rattlers are considered endangered here in Texas and are 'protected'.
I've never seen one here.

JMJ Farms said:
bball said:

How do you tell where a snake's ear is?

Killed a little one here Monday. Backed the tractor into the shed. Went to get off and the snake was right where I would have stepped. I must have clipped him a little with the back tire of the tractor. At least that was how it was acting. I took a big step over it. The quad was right there with a shovel on it. These snakes got to learn not to get near me when I have a shovel.

greybeard said:
True Grit Farms said:
I believe Timber Rattlers are considered endangered here in Texas and are 'protected'.

Yes. He's still a type of timber rattler. We call them canebrakes because they have that red, cane colored stripe down the center of their back. Once you get 60 miles or so above us they don't have that stripe anymore. Not real sure why.

True Grit Farms said:
bball said:

A swat behind the ear using a fiberglass sorting stick from Pulaski County Livestock. Looks like a new belt to me.

I knew it Brad! Caught one behind the ear

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the find
You don't pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Grit

Vince, I need an new wallet

JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:
bball said:

A swat behind the ear using a fiberglass sorting stick from Pulaski County Livestock. Looks like a new belt to me.

Diamond back or Timber rattler?

greybeard said:
True Grit Farms said:

Covered up with Timber Rattlers here GB and every once in a while Eastern Diamondback.
The state says they are endangered never seen one that wasn't.
Quite common to see a dead one on the road with his rattles cut off.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:

Diamond back or Timber rattler?

I ain't particular. I will pay good money for one :tiphat:

Here's who does my taxidermy work, if your ever around Thomasville stop by and check his shop out.
http://hardenstaxidermy.com
I have some deer capes and snake skins to trade him. You pick the snake and the rest is on me.

A big Georgia rattler like that took out my neighbor. He was handling it in church, the snake latched onto his hand and had to be pried off. They prayed for him about a day as he refused medical help. He met his maker. He was a good guy, had two small kids at the time and had built a lot of houses around here. His dad had been bitten so many times he had an immunity built up.

jltrent said:
A big Georgia rattler like that took out my neighbor. He was handling it in church, the snake latched onto his hand and had to be pried off. They prayed for him about a day as he refused medical help. He met his maker. He was a good guy, had two small kids at the time and had built a lot of houses around here. His dad had been bitten so many times he had an immunity built up.
I met with him the day before about buying some land. I had talked to his dad years ago about the same land. He died within days of that discussion. The grandson called me about it last summer and I told him it was bad luck for his family.