Show your calf pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":3oce5x3z said:
Big Bucks":3oce5x3z said:
This is Ben, our full blood Aubrac embryo bull-calf
Here is Ben at 7 weeks out on new pasture

Ben_2_months.jpg
Great Picture.
That is a sight I would never get tired of seeing.
Big Bucks, would you care to brag on his pedigree and Aubracs?
I for one would like to know more and he looks worthy of some bragging.

Bens sire is a French bull named Andalou and his dam is a Ushuaia daughter that came from France as an embryo herself. I bought the recip cow confirmed bred with a bull calf of this exact mating from Darren Unruh of Walnut Crest Cattle Company in Kansas. This calf has exceeded my expectations. He is growing like a weed, is very well muscled and getting thicker by the day.

In my opinion Aubracs are the best kept secret in the cattle industry. I think their strength is in the female side of the equation although calves sired by Aubrac bulls grow extremely well and also yield and grade very well. If I had a commercial herd I would be getting some Aubrac blood in my cow herd. These girls live and even thrive on poorer forages, calve easily without assistance, breed back like clockwork and are long-lived. I would think that an Aubrac X Hereford cow would survive/thrive on pastures that would have other cattle looking like Ethiopians; breed those cows to a good black bull and the resulting calves would turn heads at any auction whether sold as feeders or as finished animals.

Personally, I am working with a small herd and plan to cross the Aubracs with Piedmontese and develop a specialty beef market.

highgrit":eqqmqxi4 said:
I can see all the poor forage in the picture. ;-)
You should have seen the hay those cows lived on last winter! It was year old hay that was basically grass waterways that had been baled - lots of weeds with no clover or alfalfa in it at all. They didn't get any grain whatsoever, just the poor hay and mineral tubs. Some of the cows didn't look so well come spring but the Aubracs looked fine and were the best of the bunch. The Aubracs were also the first to calve meaning they were the first to breed back last summer. I wont be doing that again (feeding them such a poor diet) but it is nice to know they can survive on it and still produce nice healthy calves.

Pretty cow and calf. We have a couple of Beefmasters that you know not to get close when they have babies, but it always amuses me that before long the calves will become friendly even though their mothers try to keep them away.

This was a hard pull. I hooked the chains up, and one person on each chain couldn't budge the calf. So I hooked my puller up and jacked the calfs head out. Then the calf was hip locked, and had to hook the puller back up. Once,the calf came out the heifer went down. The heifer took to licking and lowing to the calf, but wouldn't standup. So I pulled the calf away and went behind the heifer with a hotshot and she got up. Just left there and the calf is up and sucking. Animals are some kind of tuff. Hopefully it be ok in the morning. And I'll post a,good picture of our new calf. I can't believe it's alive.

Looks like everyone is getting a good calf crop this year!
New young bulls calf... He's breeding more cows this year, so pretty excited for next years crop..

Here's a new calf from this morning? And I think the cow must of had twins. Because this is supposed to be the last of the cows to calve till late August. Still have 4 heifers coming due any day though. I think we're gonna have a bottle calf till Wednesday's sale.

Have enjoyed the pictures.

Here's my latest experiment. These are 5/8 black angus calves. Out of bull Beral of Wye and heifers that are mostly British White. If they don't qualify for CAB, maybe I'll start the white angus breed.

IMG_6529-crop.jpg

CAM02586.jpg

CAM02587.jpg

Djinwa I want one of those calves!! They are really cute. Can you send me one?? :heart:

Bball glad that you figured out the picture posting. :clap: Cant see the calves through the tall grass. Nice!

Latest posts