Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice bull! Even better when anxious to work. Also looks like he should pass any scrotal measurements performed...
He is very well equipped to take care of business. We have him semen tested every year before turnout I remember in 2019 his sc was 44. He was turned out on 50 head I think we AI'd 2 the rest he covered. He knows how to get the job done for sure.

We never used a walking bull before, but raised this guy from an embryo and liked him enough to try him on a few cows last spring. He is 12 months old in one pic, 14 in the other. Also, his dam is pictured. We are selling him now, since we really do not want to use a walking bull.
View attachment 21418View attachment 21419View attachment 21417
He is nice we will use 3 or 4 bulls each year all of them bred in our program. This year we will use 1701, 2011, 2034 and a yearling still to be determined. I don't keep a bunch of bulls anymore our freezer beef program has done really well and heck steers are less of a headache than bulls. That being said the bulls we do keep are pretty sporty so picking one is tough for sure.

He's baaaaaack. But at least he's keeping a somewhat respectful distance from Willy. This time, after yet another picture text to the neighbor, he agreed it was time to bring over the portable corral & load the sumbytch up. I graciously offered the use of our corral. You know, since he's already in our pasture. Again.View attachment 20485
Ummm, yeah, I count 4 bulls. So, he's baaaaaack again, but this time just hangin' with my bulls in the east 80. Bromance! Why else? No ladies to breed, no ripe young heifer calves that aren't weaned yet. No fighting - yet.
1664234209737.jpeg

If that was my bull I'd offer good money to just let him hang out with yours for the winter. I have suggested the neighbors all get together and somebody host a community bull pasture, but haven't gotten any traction on that idea yet.
I'm pretty much over having this bull as our guest. Even if they paid us. Biosecurity should be a consideration, although that's essentially a moot point. We had him almost 2 months last year before they got around to fixing the fence - which, clearly, is merely a suggestion in his case.

I'm pretty much over having this bull as our guest. Even if they paid us. Biosecurity should be a consideration, although that's essentially a moot point. We had him almost 2 months last year before they got around to fixing the fence - which, clearly, is merely a suggestion in his case.
Yeah, once a bull learns they can go through or over a fence, they never unlearn it. Electric fence might work, but that takes maintenance which your neighbors, like some of ours are not going to work at.

I don't blame you. It does get old running the neighbor's critters out. We have good neighbors who have quite a few pastures where they can put a frequent offender. I have one bull that tears up fences when there is a hot cow or a bull on the other side. During breeding season I have to put him and the cows in a pasture with a quarter mile separation from neighbors. After breeding season he just runs with the cows and doesn't cause any problems, but if he does I have places to put him. Your neighbor is rude. Maybe pen his bull up and feed "$600/ton hay" and assert a lien on him.

years ago we had open range around our place,.. neighbors bull in our field for many months at a time, then suddenly one morning the guy is working our cows in our pasture, unannounced or anything.. glad that's over

Your neighbor is rude. Maybe pen his bull up and feed "$600/ton hay" and assert a lien on him.
He is. And yet, his grandfather that owned it passed away a couple years ago and now he's "managing" the herds - of which there are many. But he's also the first one to lend a hand if I need any help. Picking my battles. Unless that dang bull gets in with my heifers!!!! I will read him for filth and make him cry - and he outweighs me by 250 lbs!

He is. And yet, his grandfather that owned it passed away a couple years ago and now he's "managing" the herds - of which there are many. But he's also the first one to lend a hand if I need any help. Picking my battles. Unless that dang bull gets in with my heifers!!!! I will read him for filth and make him cry - and he outweighs me by 250 lbs!
The owner or the bull outweighs you by 250 lbs???

Latest posts