Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I have Amish neighbors. I have told them in the past, that if a bull came thru my fence, they might have a steer sent back.
Would I be wrong in thinking your Amish neighbors made no mention of what they would do if their bull came through
your end (my fence) of the fence and came back a steer? Frankly Scarlett, I believe I would rethink that response.

LOL - more of a threat - but, if their animal came thru MY good fence and bred one of my "expensive" cows.....
But, I get along with my neighbors and it was more of a fun way of telling them NO BULLS.
I have had numerous horses - sheep - goats. They don't respect smooth wire fence, even 4 strands. They don't know what electric fence is and I don't ALWAYS have all my fence hot if my cattle are not in the area. I just drive around the block and let them know and a bunch of little munchkins gather them up.

Well, it was good while it lasted. Are they kissing? Cuz . . . eweee! Neighbor assured me they're bringing the pens and moving the entire herd. But it's because the pond is almost dry and they don't want to haul water. The question is WHEN. Whatever - good riddance!
1664576725799.jpeg

Well, it was good while it lasted. Are they kissing? Cuz . . . eweee! Neighbor assured me they're bringing the pens and moving the entire herd. But it's because the pond is almost dry and they don't want to haul water. The question is WHEN. Whatever - good riddance!
View attachment 21686

Which one is yours? Because I'd be keeping the one on the left (from this pic).

Which one is yours? Because I'd be keeping the one on the left (from this pic).
That would be Willy, 8308. Only bull I've ever had that isn't a hand feeder and I keep my eyes on him. And yet, we have a mutual respect and he's easy to catch/work - as long as I let him think it's his idea. He'll follow me in the Polaris or walking with a bucket and go in the corral no problem. Getting him in the trap going down the alley is a waiting game. I just open the side gate and wait: no sorting sticks, no pushing, no baiting, no yelling and I just stand there, doing nothing, until he decides he's ready. And then he's all in. Throws great calves and I can use him on heifers or cows. Scrotal cm 43.5 and 100% on his BSE in April.

That would be Willy, 8308. Only bull I've ever had that isn't a hand feeder and I keep my eyes on him. And yet, we have a mutual respect and he's easy to catch/work - as long as I let him think it's his idea. He'll follow me in the Polaris or walking with a bucket and go in the corral no problem. Getting him in the trap going down the alley is a waiting game. I just open the side gate and wait: no sorting sticks, no pushing, no baiting, no yelling and I just stand there, doing nothing, until he decides he's ready. And then he's all in. Throws great calves and I can use him on heifers or cows. Scrotal cm 43.5 and 100% on his BSE in April.

He is a dude and knows it. Have you ever kept any of his sons intact?

He is a dude and knows it. Have you ever kept any of his sons intact?
No, I haven't. I've occasionally kept a bull calf intact if a neighbor wants to buy one and selects it prior to banding at appx 3 months, but I don't offer any guarantees on EPD's or even fertility. But I also only charge whatever the high end of the steers are bringing at the sale barn. Last bull calf I sold as a breeder was in 2016 and they just sold him 2 weeks ago. Remember BooBoo, @cfpinz?

You are a smart girl TC. No use provoking the big guy and causing a confrontation that you have zero chance of winning.

Ken

No, I haven't. I've occasionally kept a bull calf intact if a neighbor wants to buy one and selects it prior to banding at appx 3 months, but I don't offer any guarantees on EPD's or even fertility. But I also only charge whatever the high end of the steers are bringing at the sale barn. Last bull calf I sold as a breeder was in 2016 and they just sold him 2 weeks ago. Remember BooBoo, @cfpinz?
Yup, he was a real wild one! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There is a herd out in the front field. There was a bull amongst them. I guess that would make him the herd bull. We finally figured out which one he was and made him a steer. So now he is just one of the herd.
Here with range land being what it is everyone runs good bulls. But bulls and cows change addresses. It happens fairly often. People with an all Black Angus herd have the occasional smoky calf. Hereford cows have a black baldie calf. etc
A couple years ago I had the homing bull. Sort of like a homing pigeon except a ton Charolais bull. Well not my bull. But he kept coming to my meadow. No cows just hay field regrowth. They would haul him back up into the hills 15 miles as the crow flies from here. Some real rough ground between here and there. A week later he would be back. After about 3 times of this he got hauled to the sale. Never managed to find his way back from there.

View attachment 21686
Happy dance! GONE! Buh-bye!!! Removing our base unit they borrowed for the electric fence in the morning. Which, clearly, was never maintained.

@TCRanch - I don't raise or sell any mature bulls either. All of mine are calves, $1850 you pick. All gone by Oct or castrated and sold with steers direct to a feedlot. I give him a $0.25 discount on the newly castrated. I may lose $150-$200 on the freshly castrated male, but well worth it to me on the $ made on the bull calves - no guarantees either. And feedlot gives me highest price at most recent feeder calf sale. I've only cut maybe 3 in past 10 years. Well, "I" don't cut them, my nephew does.

Latest posts