Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

:) Bulls lose weight from endlessly walking searching for cows, approaching their hind ends in order to hopefully do some 'work', only to so her walking away. Seems like this is about the the same for males of every species.
It's all part of the job, just like ya said. It's arguably a good job, for sure. But hey, even the best job requires a little sweat.

It's got to be some amount of strain, I've seen 'em lose weight doing it.

And yes, I know they don't make an evening of it, ma'am. I've watched more than a few fill their function.
A good bull will wine and dine his lady for a day or two until she gives him the nod. They are actually quite romantic I find.

Ken

The dairy cows of today no longer know the romance of bull and cow in the pasture. Daphne herself is the product of a clean up bull, although she herself has known many suitors. A black Angus bull will appear on the horizon, stroll down and a courtship begins that lasts several days. There is a lot coy affection and mutual grooming behavior. And then one morning it's suddenly over. It's like the two of them are lying there smoking cigarettes. It doesn't look all that strenuous to me it looks like a pleasant dalliance.

It's the walking and searching that makes bulls lose weight. Such as those bulls in West Texas that hang around the water tanks. The cows come to them and they remain in good flesh.

The dairy cows of today no longer know the romance of bull and cow in the pasture. Daphne herself is the product of a clean up bull, although she herself has known many suitors. A black Angus bull will appear on the horizon, stroll down and a courtship begins that lasts several days. There is a lot coy affection and mutual grooming behavior. And then one morning it's suddenly over. It's like the two of them are lying there smoking cigarettes. It doesn't look all that strenuous to me it looks like a pleasant dalliance.

It's the walking and searching that makes bulls lose weight. Such as those bulls in West Texas that hang around the water tanks. The cows come to them and they remain in good flesh.
The more cows they have to cover, the more strenuous their job can be. A lot of people, when mildly over the ratio, rather than getting a second bull just leave him in longer.

Since this is a bull thread I'll ask a bull question. I'm cutting way back on cows this year and with some on here help have convinced myself to try a Hereford this year on my assortment of Brahma, brangus and brangus/char cross. Anyone have a source for leasing Herefords? Not going to have enough cows to buy and have leased for the last 5 years

Since this is a bull thread I'll ask a bull question. I'm cutting way back on cows this year and with some on here help have convinced myself to try a Hereford this year on my assortment of Brahma, brangus and brangus/char cross. Anyone have a source for leasing Herefords? Not going to have enough cows to buy and have leased for the last 5 years
Where are you located? How many cows? How long do you want to lease? And what is your (preferred) calving season?

Where are you located? How many cows? How long do you want to lease? And what is your (preferred) calving season?
Well I did leave a lot of info out didn't I! Very north central Texas. I usually turn bull in last week of April till aug 1. Preg checks in nov/dec and sell open. Sold 25% in may this year before drought so breeding 18-22 and grazing out this years crop thru spring

Well I did leave a lot of info out didn't I! Very north central Texas. I usually turn bull in last week of April till aug 1. Preg checks in nov/dec and sell open. Sold 25% in may this year before drought so breeding 18-22 and grazing out this years crop thru spring
Gotcha. I know a guy but KS is pretty far for a lease. Are you on Facebook? There's a group specifically for Herefords and you might get a lead from there. Or ask at your local sale barn - they should have a lot of resources.

Gotcha. I know a guy but KS is pretty far for a lease. Are you on Facebook? There's a group specifically for Herefords and you might get a lead from there. Or ask at your local sale barn - they should have a lot of resources.
Thanks for the reply. Also thinking about AI for all but the Brahma. Bought them as yearlings crazy as deer and they are no fun in the pen no matter how slow we go. We ai'd them first go round and it was brutal. Eat out of your hand in the pasture, eat your arm in the pen or chute.

Thanks for the reply. Also thinking about AI for all but the Brahma. Bought them as yearlings crazy as deer and they are no fun in the pen no matter how slow we go. We ai'd them first go round and it was brutal. Eat out of your hand in the pasture, eat your arm in the pen or chute.
Bring them in around the pen more often without working them.

Latest posts