Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A08FAC3C-4112-4749-A974-020C4F78FDBF.jpeg

Welcome to the boards. Tell us about yourself/farm.
Just getting into farming. Did not grow up on the farmso lots to learn and figured could pick up something good on this forum for those that are more experienced. Southwest Mo area. Small herd 11 black cows. Supposed to be a Santa Gertrudis and angus mix on the bull.

Just getting into farming. Did not grow up on the farmso lots to learn and figured could pick up something good on this forum for those that are more experienced. Southwest Mo area. Small herd 11 black cows. Supposed to be a Santa Gertrudis and angus mix on the bull.
This is a good place to learn. We see a lot of newbies come and go because of various reasons, but I suspect most have preconceived ideas and when the experienced people here give them advice that doesn't match up they'd rather stick with what they think than what we know. You'll find a lot of "bull" here too but usually it's easy enough to weed out the opinions from the facts once you get the hang of it. And over time you can teach us things as we all share our experiences, too.

And pictures are always appreciated.

This is a good place to learn. We see a lot of newbies come and go because of various reasons, but I suspect most have preconceived ideas and when the experienced people here give them advice that doesn't match up they'd rather stick with what they think than what we know. You'll find a lot of "bull" here too but usually it's easy enough to weed out the opinions from the facts once you get the hang of it. And over time you can teach us things as we all share our experiences, too.

And pictures are always appreciated.
Figure there is always more than one way to do something. You talk to 10 different farmers you will get 10 different answers, just try and filter out the best advice that will work with your operation. Now just have to learn how to back up a gooseneck trailer and I'll be golden.

Figure there is always more than one way to do something. You talk to 10 different farmers you will get 10 different answers, just try and filter out the best advice that will work with your operation. Now just have to learn how to back up a gooseneck trailer and I'll be golden.
LOL... I have no idea how to tell you to do that. I guess practice. By the time you can back up in a straight line you'll know how to back up on a curve.

Practice is the only way. And only use your mirrors.
You will find posts where I have said that I have backed a gooseneck trailer more miles than most people have driven them forwards. But that comes from almost 40 years of pulling one. The more you practice the easier it gets.

Great looking cows and calves! What breeding?
Thanks!! These are purebred Simmental. I have 30 head calving for my "spring" herd (Jan/Feb). I am breeding another dozen for my fall calving (Sept/Oct) and a dozen replacement heifers coming on. Usually run 50 momma cows, but numbers are low because of sales (which is a good thing - not complaining), so I'm building numbers back up. Kept prices higher than normal. Buyers have to want them more than I do ALL the time.
If you meant sires - couple are Epic & Right Now (super CE + Growth bulls), a couple embryos out of our donors, and a Loaded Up and an Executive Order.

Thanks!! These are purebred Simmental. I have 30 head calving for my "spring" herd (Jan/Feb). I am breeding another dozen for my fall calving (Sept/Oct) and a dozen replacement heifers coming on. Usually run 50 momma cows, but numbers are low because of sales (which is a good thing - not complaining), so I'm building numbers back up. Kept prices higher than normal. Buyers have to want them more than I do ALL the time.
If you meant sires - couple are Epic & Right Now (super CE + Growth bulls), a couple embryos out of our donors, and a Loaded Up and an Executive Order.
Those are some DEEP cows. Very nice. And the calves look great. It will be interesting to see some pics in six months or so with their mommas.

Ok here's a cute newborn born during night. We processed him this am. 98#, banded. Dam has horrible EPD for CE.
I don't pay a lot of attention to EPDs when picking a bull.
But, when I an looking at SELLING a bull, EPDs are extremely important. Even if he will never be a calving problem, if a buyer has ONE hard calving, that's my reputation.
I sell a lot of bull calves with 90-98# BW, IF I'm comfortable with the actual dam and sire's real CE and EPDs.
We sold this cow's steer born last year as a show steer. Won all his shows as a prospect steer.

Attachments

• 21621.jpeg
    21621.jpeg
    972.7 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts