Should you buy the name brand surfactant?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":33g6aon1 said:
I guess I'm just a no count hobby farmer. I just pour a jug of herbicide in the tank and dump some crop oil and start spraying. If I don't kill it the on the first try, I double up on the second try. I've never calibrated or measured anything. But I do and sit through my 3 credit hours for my applicators license. I hope the feds get a search warrant first? Sky taught me all I know over the phone.

Wish we only had to have three we have to get 15 hours,
The Laws and Regs are the hardest to get around here you have to get 5 CEU's
in law. Usually they will offer one hour per session.

ChrisB":1s8leb5r said:
I've been following along out of curiosity if you can indeed get in trouble for using Dawn off label. I did a bit of google searching and can't find where it is illegal. Not that I'm going to start using it, but I have a hard time believing that I couldn't if I wanted to. What's the verdict?
Same here. Always have some kind of dishwashing detergent around. Ain't driving 20 miles just to get a jug of surfactant.

TennesseeTuxedo":wyhikpno said:
HDRider":wyhikpno said:
TennesseeTuxedo":wyhikpno said:
Good grief this thread has me so jonesing to go up to the farm and spray Roundup and Crossbow willie nilly all over the place. I'm going to add some liquid dish soap just for spite!

Bring it on EPA!
Nilly willie?

No, Willie nilly. Big difference.

Just a bigger billhilly.

TennesseeTuxedo":2e4yft3f said:
Yup, the kind who says "License?!?!, we don't need no stinkin' license!"

Its coming we used to not either.
Even without one you fall under CFR 40.
You can find your state regs here.
http://www2.epa.gov/home/health-and-env ... erritories
Yep all you have to do is have a little drift and a complaint .
We are not viewed as stewards of the land by the general public anymore.
I don't like it any more than the next guy but ignorance is not a defense with these people
and I dealt with them almost weekly for years.
The one thing I am sure of it has gotten worse instead of better as they seem to have unlimited
authority.

TennesseeTuxedo":3f9qzc0a said:
Yup, the kind who says "License?!?!, we don't need no stinkin' license!"

No but you still fall under the law.
That dang pesky label is where the problem lies.

From your state site.
This publication contains herbicide recommendations that are subject to change at any time.
The recommendations in this publication are provided only as a guide. It is always the herbicide
applicator's responsibility, by law, to read and follow all current label directions for the specific
herbicide being used. The label always takes precedence over the recommendations found in
this publication.

Use of trade or brand names in this publication is for clarity and information; it does not imply
approval of the product to the exclusion of others that may be of similar, suitable composition, nor does
it guarantee or warrant the standard of the product. The author(s), the University of Tennessee Institute
of Agriculture and University of Tennessee Extension assume no liability resulting from the use of
these recommendations.

Regulatory duties for FIFRA (Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act) are delegated. States are delegated authority to regulate pesticides under FIFRA usually the state's agriculture office. It is important to remember that they also have their own statues and regulations which allows the state to place more restrictive requirements on pesticides than EPA. In delegated programs, the role of the US EPA is OVERSIGHT of the state Regulatory Authority (RA) NOT enforcement. The EPA may over-write the state if the state is failing to enforce FIFRA. Or if the state continues to fail its obligations and the terms of delegation, the EPA may begin proceeding to withdraw the delegation in which case the US EPA will step in as the first level RA. I believe every state has achieved delegation.

It is worth noting that there is confusion as to the identity of the regulatory authority. Many states at one time had regulatory programs that used the name "Environmental Protection Agency". Many think the US EPA is the RA. Direct enforcement of environmental law is rarely performed by the US EPA. Even Superfund has been mostly delegated except for federal facilities.

soooooo i juust got a sprayer...finally got it 100% . going to try and calibrate this weeknd and git it out before dog fennel is a ft tall..

now with all this bs going on maybe it aint worth it. aint like its cheap..mowing is far less dangerous and its brainless if ya do it at the right time...has got my weeds down to about half what i had...

i spot spray glyco to kill unwanted terribles...

this is way more complicated than need be...mix ratio..add sticky stuff...spray..hope for the best return on investment....maybe some liquid fert in there too...

at about what...200 bucks per 100 gal it better do the whole 50 acres

dieselbeef":1bfjctn6 said:
soooooo i juust got a sprayer...finally got it 100% . going to try and calibrate this weeknd and git it out before dog fennel is a ft tall..

now with all this bs going on maybe it aint worth it. aint like its cheap..mowing is far less dangerous and its brainless if ya do it at the right time...has got my weeds down to about half what i had...

i spot spray glyco to kill unwanted terribles...

this is way more complicated than need be...mix ratio..add sticky stuff...spray..hope for the best return on investment....maybe some liquid fert in there too...

at about what...200 bucks per 100 gal it better do the whole 50 acres

DB,

Calibrating is not difficult and is a means of saving money. Chemical is not cheap and if you can spray 105 oz of chemical to get the same results as 200 oz, which would you rather? By just "doubling" up, your wasting chemical. Just read the label and use what is shown on the label. It is far from complicated. Also remember that on a foliage herbicide, any chemical that runs off and onto the ground is wasted chemical. There is no need to soaking the grass to the point where the chemical runs off. By doing so, your only wasting chemical and costing yourself more money.

Spraying will cover a much wider area than mowing, so once you get the calibration done, you will see benefits of spraying. Just read the label of what your spraying.

yep..knowing nothing about it ill be for sure taking my time and measure.
picked up alotta info here between my thread and this one got me a good start

thanks fellas

so water flushes out the surfactant?

any special ways t clean it..altho i figure to only use the same thing ill still need to water flush..anything else?

I run detergent (dish soap) and water through the whole system to clean up any residue that may be left. Some of those chemicals will harden/thicken as they dry and can really screw up your psrayer.

it had some stuff in the btm like a brown film. came off in sheets kinda..got it cleaned out now but a tank full of water washed most of it out.
that will clean the surafactant out also

Caustic Burno":2inch3wm said:
ChrisB":2inch3wm said:
I've been following along out of curiosity if you can indeed get in trouble for using Dawn off label. I did a bit of google searching and can't find where it is illegal. Not that I'm going to start using it, but I have a hard time believing that I couldn't if I wanted to. What's the verdict?

This all falls under CFP40 EPA regs and vary from state to state with some states having more
stringent rules than the standard.

Texas
Falls under section 12.
http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... &ch=8&rl=7

CB: Sincere Inquiry.

To my knowledge the federal government has not enacted legislation for the regulation of herbicides that is comparable to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). To my knowledge, EPA offices do not have a division or section dedicated to the regulation of herbicides like they do pesticides. Being curious, I was reading your reference to try to understand what authorities the state of Texas uses to regulate herbicides. As I was briefly previewing your reference, I only saw reference to pesticide labels not herbicide labels. To be sure and to not be misunderstood, I am aware that regulatory authorities often use "backdoor" means to regulate activities and practices that have not been specifically legislated and that might be the case here.

My question to you: Is the reference you provided applicable to herbicides in the State of Texas? Without spending more time could you explain since you live in Texas, how they enforce this program?

The point I made about the pesticide program applies here: People often misunderstand where the authority to regulate comes from and who is the Regulatory Agency. I have been away from this area for a few years and my duties before retirement from the US EPA was as a Remedial Project Manager on the Rocky Mountain Arsenal In Commerce City, CO so I did not concern myself with details on pesticide and herbicide legislation but I do remember that there has been a long term bipartisan effort to avoid a federal herbicide act specifically because of its potential impact on agriculture.

I think by definition a herbicide is a pesticide, as are fungicides, insecticides, nematicides, etc.

ga.prime":295ndglj said:
I think by definition a herbicide is a pesticide, as are fungicides, insecticides, nematicides, etc.

Ga.prime: pursuant to Section 2 of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), it appears to exclude herbicides but include plant regulators, defoliants and desiccants.

Copied from FIFRA:

(u) Pesticide
The term "pesticide" means

(1) any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest,

(2) any substance or mixture of substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant, and

(3) any nitrogen stabilizer, except that the term "pesticide" shall not include any article that is a "new animal drug" within the meaning of section 321 (w) [1] of title 21, that has been determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services not to be a new animal drug by a regulation establishing conditions of use for the article, or that is an animal feed within the meaning of section 321 (x) [1] of title 21 bearing or containing a new animal drug. The term "pesticide" does not include liquid chemical sterilant products (including any sterilant or subordinate disinfectant claims on such products) for use on a critical or semi-critical device, as defined in section 321 of title 21. For purposes of the preceding sentence, the term "critical device" includes any device which is introduced directly into the human body, either into or in contact with the bloodstream or normally sterile areas of the body and the term "semi-critical device" includes any device which contacts intact mucous membranes but which does not ordinarily penetrate the blood barrier or otherwise enter normally sterile areas of the body.

Inyati, you're well schooled on this subject and the kind of language used in the regulations and you're probably right but some would argue weeds or other undesirable vegetation are pests.
The term "pesticide" means

(1) any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest,

(2) any substance or mixture of substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant, and

In MO it is a "Pesticide Applicators License", that includes plants and bugs, etc. as pests.

Latest posts