Shipping container for storage

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad put a 40 foot one on our place to store some crap , mostly antiques and his seasonal stuff ,the fact that he has a 3 door industrial size garage ,a double attached garage as well as filling our barn and machine sheds with his stuff is irrelevant . I guess one can never have too much shytt. BUT I digress . The container is air tight and rodent proof so I ended up storing my deck furniture in it now . Handy to have in the country for a reasonable price, but is a flippen eye soar . :roll:

backhoeboogie":2yn97i0a said:
I've buried a few of those. People used them for storm shelters. Cheaper and stronger than the store bought storm shelter version.

We've got a neighbor that did that about 6 years ago. It should come in real handy of there's a tornado.

Katherine

backhoeboogie":2xn10lvd said:
greybeard":2xn10lvd said:
$4000?
Seems kinda high. I priced a 20 footer for $1850 delivered from about 30 miles away a couple of years ago. I was going to get one to store hay (sq bales) in, but was afraid bad things might happen being it was virtually airtight. They do get hot as heck in the summer time around here, and they really need to be placed on something to keep the bottom off the ground. Rust never sleeps.

I've buried a few of those. People used them for storm shelters. Cheaper and stronger than the store bought storm shelter version. They come with salt water paint. Some people put undercoating on them before they bury them. They need to be on a slope to ensure they don't float out of the ground. Anyway, these weren't touching the ground but rather put in the ground.

They also use those buried ones to grow certain crops. Had one around here doing that.

I'd like to bump this up as it's relevant to me at the moment.

How can I contact shippers, and who to search for that might offer a bargain as described above? I live very near a major north/south highway with more trucks than cars it seems. With the right advice, I should be able to save more than a few bucks.

Help? :cboy:

gimpyrancher":2duntna9 said:

How can I contact shippers, and who to search for that might offer a bargain as described above? I live very near a major north/south highway with more trucks than cars it seems. With the right advice, I should be able to save more than a few bucks.

You might start with a "wanted" ad on Craigslist.

gimpyrancher":hh5ktuwe said:

Gimpy there are probably some on Craig's list. Also check these little papers everybody puts out these days that are nothing but ads. Seems there is always at least one seller in their paper down this way every day.

I'd line up the shipping on my own. That's where you'll save some money and buying from a wholesaler not a broker. I wonder what those things weigh?

kingfisher,

Approx
20' - 5,000
40' - 8,000

I guess I'll try an ad on craigslist. The prices they're asking for is surprising considering the glut.

There is an outfit close to me that sells them. But I hear that they are cheaper most every where else. I hear that Portland and Tacoma are the places with the best price. That is a bit of freight to your area but everything is a bit of freight to your area.

Portland and Tacoma advertise here all over the place. Their prices seem to be about the same as everyone else.

There's a local guy here with what I think is a wrecking yard and he has them stacked up at his entrance. Never seen any changes in the stack. I think I'm gonna start there with a cash offer at the end of the month when money is shorter and see if I can get two. If they can load them, I have the trailer.

PS: If it wasn't for our Highway 97, I think there'd be a lot of truckers out of business. :boy:

The retail industry refers to "railhead" prices for them. That's where the inlanders wholesale from - the nearest railhead. The word I heard was $900 "railhead" price for 40 footers.

I can move 20 footers easily on my float. I can load 20 footers easily on my float. I have been using pipe to roll them on pushing with the tractor once I get them onto the back of the trailer. So I would opt for 20s any time.

If you have any connections with anyone in the railroad business, that's where I'd try for a bargain. Secondly, if you can find a driver that delivers them who has a rig and works side deals. :banana:

gimpyrancher":3hig20yu said:
Portland and Tacoma advertise here all over the place. Their prices seem to be about the same as everyone else.

There's a local guy here with what I think is a wrecking yard and he has them stacked up at his entrance. Never seen any changes in the stack. I think I'm gonna start there with a cash offer at the end of the month when money is shorter and see if I can get two. If they can load them, I have the trailer.

PS: If it wasn't for our Highway 97, I think there'd be a lot of truckers out of business. :boy:

I am about 5 miles off I-5 about mid way between Seattle and Portland. We have a container dealer here and everyone says they are cheaper shipped in from Portland. Of course it could be just that guy. You think there are trucks on Hwy 97.... it is nothing compared to I-5. I know because my GF lives right beside 97 so I see that truck traffic nearly every weekend.

backhoeboogie":2736mdg6 said:
The retail industry refers to "railhead" prices for them. That's where the inlanders wholesale from - the nearest railhead. The word I heard was $900 "railhead" price for 40 footers.

Best idea yet. Thank you. We have the railroad running through our town. I'm gonna have to ask around. In fact, one of my neighbors is retired from the RR and still in contact with some of his old workmates. I'll make an issue to go ask him. If things pan out, I'm sure to report it here.

Again, great lead.

Been thinking about this for a long time. I want to pour an 80X80 pad and place 40 footers around three sides. Those will be used for barn space and the open spot in the middle for hay storage. Seems like at 8000 lbs each it wouldn't take too much foundation to support them and not too big of a crane to unload and spot them. Question I have is are the containers strong enough to support an open span red iron roof?

lavacarancher":dag3qd1m said:
Been thinking about this for a long time. I want to pour an 80X80 pad and place 40 footers around three sides. Those will be used for barn space and the open spot in the middle for hay storage. Seems like at 8000 lbs each it wouldn't take too much foundation to support them and not too big of a crane to unload and spot them. Question I have is are the containers strong enough to support an open span red iron roof?

I saw, and actually took a picture of, a guy in Wrangell Alaska who stacked two containers on top of each other on opposite sides of a slab and put trusses across from container to container. I would think they have a lot of strength that way. I see container ships going in and out of here with containers stacked 10-12 high on their deck.

I would have NO worries about their strength... kinks in the corrugated walls will weaken them, but a roof is no load in comparison to the weight they carry in shipping.

I agree with HD.. they are an eyesore if left out in the open, but if you can tuck them away or get some shrubbery growing around them it's not too bad. We're looking for a 7x20 to store all our oil and flammables in. haven't looked closely at prices, but with the amount of port traffic here they should be able to be had pretty reasonably

lavacarancher":2qoz7nrh said:
I've seen a lot of them with a roof on them.

Latest posts