Shipping Containers

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good place to purchase shipping containers at a bargain price ?

I'm not sure myself, but have been helping a friend get his shipping container home buttoned up. Im in love with it. He used 2 40's and a 30 I think. Pretty dang sweet.

I'd like to find a couple myself. Of ya find a good source maybe share it here? Buddy said they've gone up a lot since he started the build.

Anybody know of a good place to purchase shipping containers at a bargain price ?
I wonder what they would cost in San Diego or LA? Especially if you could buy them at the source? I've heard they aren't worth the money to load them on a ship and transport them back to be filled with freight. That would make them pretty cheap. Of course they probably have a system set up to wring as much money out of a buyer as they can.

In 1993 I had the opportunity to "buy" some of the 20' containers. A tornado had went through town, and these containers arrived shortly after, set up in the Walmart parking lot. I don't think FEMA existed then, but some government agency brought them in to store food and supplies. About a year later they sold a few, but ended up giving some away for $1, buyer pays the hauling.
I had no pot to pee in, nor window to pitch it from, so I did nothing. Now they are >$5,000, plus delivery.

I'm not sure myself, but have been helping a friend get his shipping container home buttoned up. Im in love with it. He used 2 40's and a 30 I think. Pretty dang sweet.

I'd like to find a couple myself. Of ya find a good source maybe share it here? Buddy said they've gone up a lot since he started the build.
So far what I have found the further inland or you are from a ship yard the more expensive the ones that you do find are. Guess probably the cost of hauling them inland is the reason for that ?

A regular 40' container here local would cost me about $ 5,000 delivered. And that would be an older container. If I wanted and the salesman could come across one they make what is called a high cube container that is a little taller than a regular container.

From what I understand that same container would cost anywhere from $600 to $1500 buying it at an off load in a ship yard. That doesn't include transport or any other cost.

So a lot of people have started their own business of buying them cheap along ship yards, trucking them inland then raising the prices to what they consider profitable, which seems to be very profitable considering the most they paid and probably didn't pay even $ 1500 for it and then resale for $ 5,000. Which I am finding a lot of these businesses are taking on all kinds of extra expenses on top of the advertised price.

The containers range in size from 10,20,40 foot containers. Those are the most common size. 80 % of these containers are built in China because of the cheap labor there.

The biggest container made which is a high cube is a 53 foot container and contains 60 % more volume than a standard 40'. That is what I am looking for. And those are harder to find. When you call adds on Craigslist list I would be careful who and how I dealt with these people. Called one who they all have to get back with you. Called me back a few hours later. Told me they had 4 53ft for $4400 plus tax. Said they were in Texas. Told them I would like to come look at them. Said I couldn't do that. Said I would have to pay for them first. Said they couldn't let me in without a paid receipt. Ask for pictures, said they couldn't do that either.

I told them there was no way I was paying for anything I have never seen and couldn't inspect before I bought it. So in the meantime I had found what I was looking for, 53 foot high cube, had pictures and location, looked like they were in descent condition from the pictures. But they was priced for $ 7,000 each. No tax a flat $ 7,000. They could deliver for a price. While looking at the add I get a text from this place that told me they had 4 of them for $ 4,400 plus tax, they had sent me pictures. The same picture of the ones listed for $ 7,000 ? This was the place that wanted me to pay them sight unseen and wouldn't give me the location so that I could go look at them myself.

Other words what I think is a scam. So I have called this place on Craigslist and they are supposed to be calling me back. Not that I am expecting that they will have or are a legitimate business either but will listen to what they have to say.

Right now you really can't trust nobody that you don't know. But if I do find anything place that is reasonable I will sure post it.

One more thing I know everyone already knows but will mention it anyway. The condition of the container affects the price of the trailer. So if the dealer closest to you dose not have any competition. There is a good chance he will buy poorer quality and condition containers and sell them at a premium price.

So far what I have found the further inland or you are from a ship yard the more expensive the ones that you do find are. Guess probably the cost of hauling them inland is the reason for that ?

A regular 40' container here local would cost me about $ 5,000 delivered. And that would be an older container. If I wanted and the salesman could come across one they make what is called a high cube container that is a little taller than a regular container.

From what I understand that same container would cost anywhere from $600 to $1500 buying it at an off load in a ship yard. That doesn't include transport or any other cost.

So a lot of people have started their own business of buying them cheap along ship yards, trucking them inland then raising the prices to what they consider profitable, which seems to be very profitable considering the most they paid and probably didn't pay even $ 1500 for it and then resale for $ 5,000. Which I am finding a lot of these businesses are taking on all kinds of extra expenses on top of the advertised price.

The containers range in size from 10,20,40 foot containers. Those are the most common size. 80 % of these containers are built in China because of the cheap labor there.

The biggest container made which is a high cube is a 53 foot container and contains 60 % more volume than a standard 40'. That is what I am looking for. And those are harder to find. When you call adds on Craigslist list I would be careful who and how I dealt with these people. Called one who they all have to get back with you. Called me back a few hours later. Told me they had 4 53ft for $4400 plus tax. Said they were in Texas. Told them I would like to come look at them. Said I couldn't do that. Said I would have to pay for them first. Said they couldn't let me in without a paid receipt. Ask for pictures, said they couldn't do that either.

I told them there was no way I was paying for anything I have never seen and couldn't inspect before I bought it. So in the meantime I had found what I was looking for, 53 foot high cube, had pictures and location, looked like they were in descent condition from the pictures. But they was priced for $ 7,000 each. No tax a flat $ 7,000. They could deliver for a price. While looking at the add I get a text from this place that told me they had 4 of them for $ 4,400 plus tax, they had sent me pictures. The same picture of the ones listed for $ 7,000 ? This was the place that wanted me to pay them sight unseen and wouldn't give me the location so that I could go look at them myself.

Other words what I think is a scam. So I have called this place on Craigslist and they are supposed to be calling me back. Not that I am expecting that they will have or are a legitimate business either but will listen to what they have to say.

Right now you really can't trust nobody that you don't know. But if I do find anything place that is reasonable I will sure post it.
Those were $4,400 plus tax each not for all 4.

I have 3 of the 20' containers. I find the 40' too long, stuff stored at the back gets hemmed in too easily, the 20' are more workable if you are getting things in and out of it regularly. They are great for storage 100% keep vermin out.

Ken

put your location in your profile...it will be easier to find something closer to home...maybe
I have 3 of the 20' containers. I find the 40' too long, stuff stored at the back gets hemmed in too easily, the 20' are more workable if you are getting things in and out of it regularly. They are great for storage 100% keep vermin out.

Ken
Am planning on storing square bales in them. Can put 476 bales in one 53 ft high cube container. The 100 % vermin free that you mention is a big part of the reason I want them to store hay in. Horses can get a disease from opossum's and rodents. Personally I can live without horse's but unfortunately the wife says she could live without me versus the horses.

Plus I plan on using two containers space parallel to one another 50ft a part and add a roof so that I can stack round bales in between.

On a daily basis I see trains several miles long going by with nothing but containers. Full ones headed east and empty containers headed back to the west. I think they haul the majority of them back to China for another load. The ships are going back that direction anyway.

Am planning on storing square bales in them. Can put 476 bales in one 53 ft high cube container. The 100 % vermin free that you mention is a big part of the reason I want them to store hay in. Horses can get a disease from opossum's and rodents. Personally I can live without horse's but unfortunately the wife says she could live without me versus the horses.

Plus I plan on using two containers space parallel to one another 50ft a part and add a roof so that I can stack round bales in between.
I have used a 20ft for several years. I thought 100% vermin free but i have to keep poison out all the time. Small mice somehow get into mine.

Yeh, they make some great vinyl dome roofs to cover space between containers. A fellow down the road has that for his earth moving equiptment.

Ken

Latest posts