Shipping Containers

Help Support CattleToday:

Would be interested in seeing pics of any barns or storage buildings built with cubes. Thought of it as a teen sitting on my porch watching a train go by... using a boxcar for a buried hillside home. The thought was implanted by my father that always talked about building a buried home on his farm in shell lake, Wisconsin back in the 70s. He drew up plans and had them for 30+ years, just in case he ever had the chance. Had oil tube walls heated by the fireplace, as was the melted snow for water......

Would be interested in seeing pics of any barns or storage buildings built with cubes. Thought of it as a teen sitting on my porch watching a train go by... using a boxcar for a buried hillside home. The thought was implanted by my father that always talked about building a buried home on his farm in shell lake, Wisconsin back in the 70s. He drew up plans and had them for 30+ years, just in case he ever had the chance. Had oil tube walls heated by the fireplace, as was the melted snow for water......
Google it. They build houses and all kinds of stuff out of them. People will put 2 or 3 in a horse shoe and pour concrete in the middle to make hunting camps. You can put rafters from one to the other and cover the area or turn it in to a shop.

There are a lot of options.

I try not to get random info off the internet. There are real idiots out there that push ideas that plain just do not work out.
I would trust a farmer/rancher that made one out of necessity, maybe use an idea or two of something that works over some bored college students or someone that has to much money to throw away.

Just sayin'....

I try not to get random info off the internet. There are real idiots out there that push ideas that plain just do not work out.
I would trust a farmer/rancher that made one out of necessity, maybe use an idea or two of something that works over some bored college students or someone that has to much money to throw away.

Just sayin'....
It's very common, not random info.

Just sayin'....
If you have the ability to read a floor plan it's not much different than looking at a house to buy. If nothing else it's nice to stretch our imagination and let it get some exercise.

Somewhere on my camera I have a picture from a friends neighbor. This was in Wrangell Alaska. Four 40 foot containers stacked 2 and 2 with trusses going across them. Made a dry storage in the middle. Storage in the bottom ones. And the top ones faced the other direction with a stair way up each of them

There are several hay companies in the PNW who buy hay and ship it to Japan. One in Ellensburg WA is pretty big. They have been doing it for 40 years or more. They recompress the bale. A standard small square ends up being about 2x2
Yeah the ones my son hauls start out as the big 1200+ pound square bales, they have a massive press on-site that they re-compress the bales into smaller ones . I know they have had bales break open inside the container and it literally will blow the wall out. There's several companies in our area that haul hay to the ports. I know the one my son works for has like three or four different "divisions" that run under different names of the same family owned company.

The problem with using shipping containers for construction is, unless you cut a whole wall out and weld the top and bottom together you're still limited to an 8 ft wide room.
I've seen pictures from the inside of some of the completed projects and they have to use very small furniture. If you think about it very difficult to live in an 8-foot space. Especially if your large people 😜
I'm all in for use them for storage, but as far as making a house out of them I'd rather use concrete or wood.

The problem with using shipping containers for construction is, unless you cut a whole wall out and weld the top and bottom together you're still limited to an 8 ft wide room.
I've seen pictures from the inside of some of the completed projects and they have to use very small furniture. If you think about it very difficult to live in an 8-foot space. Especially if your large people 😜
I'm all in for use them for storage, but as far as making a house out of them I'd rather use concrete or wood.
Agreed with that. This one, the two 40s were put together side by side and walls taken out.

I wonder if they'd do it again if given the opportunity. Barndominium would be my choice after being around this build. It's strong as heck though!

Latest posts