Shipping container for storage

Help Support CattleToday:

baldy

Reaction score
Hi folks, I was looking at getting a 20 or 40 foot shipping container hauled in to use for some "secure " storage. I was just wondering if anyone is using them and how they are working out. The guy I talked to would add a little ventilation for a few dollars more...seemed worth it to me. Anyway just wondering.

I know a few people who have them and they like them. With us importing more than exporting I hear they are becoming quite affordable.

The newest "use/fad" around here has been to by 2 of em and put em about 10-15 foot apart and build a roof between them. Kind of like an imported dog run setup. How much are they selling for today?

I had one on the Farm here for over two years.Stored everything from furniture to Guns and it worked great. Good Luck

I have looked at them, but always backed out because I could build the same square footage for less.

I've got two 40 footers that I paid $1200 a piece for. I like them. Wound up being for free. Read on and I'll tell the story.

Contractors generally buy a half dozen for big projects in the city. Mostly to preclude theft of copper and such. When they are done, you can buy them for railhead prices. If you buy them from a dealer, you're gonna pay three times as much. Find a hauler. Contractors will call the dealers back and the haulers will sell them to you much cheaper than a dealer will.

A guy called with two 20 footers on a trailer headed to a deer camp. He drives a truck for a dealer and sidelines from the railhead. His customer was a fellow at the deer camp and said he couldn't take them for three more weeks. The hauler had to unload the company truck. He said I could have 'em both for $1500 because he needed to dump them. So I told him to come on. They still had the chalk lines on the floor. Those two were built in China and came across the ocean. Never used again. Pristine. Traded one for a registered Char bull and three angus cows and immediately hauled them to the sale barn. Paid for both containers and the two original 40 footers too.

I have 2x 20 footers. I prefer the 20 ft to the 40ft as they are too deep and things tend to get congested the further back you go. They are vermin proof too and you can leave things stored with confidence.
I mainly use mine for storing my hand tools at my shed, the sort of things that are easily nicked.
Ken

This may seem like a foolish question but what is to prevent thieves from breaking the lock on a shipping container and making off with the contents?

ga.prime":1ab9q1k6 said:
This may seem like a foolish question but what is to prevent thieves from breaking the lock on a shipping container and making off with the contents?
Nothing more than is preventing them from doing the same to your office, home, shop, barn....
Thieves are predators of opportunity 99% of the time. A lock does more to deter than you realize. Though I understand not always.

Years ago there was a gent (sort of eccentric) that put 2 of them together and used them for a house. His bedroom was the second floor which happened to be an old wooden caboose. For yard lights he used some old visible gas pumps.

When we moved here we went from a 2100 sf to a 700 sf house. All of our stuff that wouldn't fit in this house has been in a 45 ft semi trailer for the past 6 years. Including some very nice antiques. It's waterproof, pest proof, and there have been no issues with humidity. We paid $2000 delivered and it's still on the trailer and can be hauled most anywhere when ready. It paid for itself in about 18 months by not haveing to pay for storage somewhere, and of course all my stuff is right here. As soon as I get it cleared out (I'm in the process of selling everything on ebay :lol: ) we're going to use it as lumber storage and auxilliary shop space.

We have a 40 foot one that we've had for about 10 years. I don't know where you live or your climate. We live on the Texas Gulf Coast. They are not airtight and our's has a leak at one of the top corners. I think that that is why it was sold. It is very useful and will withstand a hurricane.

If you get one, be sure to check the doors and latches. I have seen some that are sprung.

There are lots of them around here. A lot of container traffic comes in through the ports at Seattle and Tacoma, just north of here. With the slow down in the economy I know of a 5 or 6 acre parcel that is entirely covered with containers stacked 3 high. There is also miles and miles of railroad track with those double stack container rail cars that are just parked. And I have a friend who has a business in Singapore. He says the harbor over there is full of container ships just swinging on anchor. They should be getting pretty affordable.

Thanks for all the info... I have a pole barn but was hoping this would be more secure. I dont live on site and have quite a few tools, saddles,etc. My place is on the edge of an oil play, things are getting pretty "wild west" like up here in the Dakotas. I suppose I could also build a more solid room in the barn. From what I have seen, I would have at least 4000$ into a 20' container in decent shape(delivered)

$4000?
Seems kinda high. I priced a 20 footer for $1850 delivered from about 30 miles away a couple of years ago. I was going to get one to store hay (sq bales) in, but was afraid bad things might happen being it was virtually airtight. They do get hot as heck in the summer time around here, and they really need to be placed on something to keep the bottom off the ground. Rust never sleeps.

I have a "semi-related" question, pun intended...I bought a 40' semi trailer and the doors are in bad shape. I have done a bunch of google searches and can't find a source or a how to fix them.

If any one has an idea on how to fix, I figured it would be on here.

I bought the trailer for $400.00 with no axles and it cost me $600.00 to get a wrecker service to move it to the farm. Other than the doors it is in excellent shape. It is a reefer trailer and all aluminum.

greybeard":ypjkwkk8 said:
$4000?
Seems kinda high. I priced a 20 footer for $1850 delivered from about 30 miles away a couple of years ago. I was going to get one to store hay (sq bales) in, but was afraid bad things might happen being it was virtually airtight. They do get hot as heck in the summer time around here, and they really need to be placed on something to keep the bottom off the ground. Rust never sleeps.

I've buried a few of those. People used them for storm shelters. Cheaper and stronger than the store bought storm shelter version. They come with salt water paint. Some people put undercoating on them before they bury them. They need to be on a slope to ensure they don't float out of the ground. Anyway, these weren't touching the ground but rather put in the ground.

Latest posts