Shipping Containers

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
What are the Sea/Land type shipping containers going for in your area? I'm thinking about getting one for critter-proof feed and small equipment storage. Any pros/cons to be aware of?

here i think you can get those containers for $1300 to $1500 delivered an setup.the size of the container might affect the price.

:shock:

Are you guys serious??? They are almost triple that price down in Louisiana. That figures...

Yes. I am currently renting one and had thought about purchasing before I decided to rent it.
Moveable Cubicle, based in Raleigh NC but have dealers all over the US I guess.

One "pro" is that these containers are temporary items. Not much different than your stock trailer. The tax assessor/collectors hate them. Put in a barn, they can raise your taxes. Put in a couple of Sea Lands, they cannot. If they try to do so, move them. :D

gerardplauche":1q8fo10z said:
:shock:

Are you guys serious??? They are almost triple that price down in Louisiana. That figures...

Thats cause you live near a major sea port. The containers are loaded in China and shipped full to the US ports and then trucked to the interior of the US. Since the trade imbalance is so big there is not a need to ship full containers back to China. The cost of trucking an empty container from say Kansas to Los Angeles and the return freight to China costs more than it does to build a new one in China. Those who live near sea ports have a harder time getting containers cause it is more cost effective due to short trucking distances to send the emptys back on the ships return trip.

milesvb":11xvsahi said:
What are the Sea/Land type shipping containers going for in your area? I'm thinking about getting one for critter-proof feed and small equipment storage. Any pros/cons to be aware of?

There is a place off Hwy 146 with 1000's of them with a big for sale sign in La Porte Texas on the Houston ship channel I thought they were 800 and up.

If you want to buy them, catch a big contractor in a city who has completed a job. Buy them from them. For instance if a contractor from Oklahoma puts in the electrical in Baton Rouge, he is going to buy several containers attempting to keep the druggies from stealing the wire. When he is done, the supplier will only offer him railhead prices less transport fees. Offer him rail head price plus $100 and you'll transport.

I bought two forty footers at good prices. Contracted a guy to deliver them for reasonable rates. A month later the delivery guy called me. He had two brand new 20 footers on his rig. Hew was delivering to Comanche on a deer lease. The guy who had ordered them said, "I don't get that lease for another month yet..." So the delivery guy called me and told me what he had. He had stopped and needed to dump them . My place has easy access in and out. I gave him $100 over his cost - $1500 for both. All chalk lines were still on the floors. They had been built 1 year prior and shipped from China full of goods. I traded one for a PB Char bull and Angus cow. I had a $2K offer for the other but the wife wouldn't let me sell it. She wanted to keep it because it was totally pristine. I can load it on the flatbed and haul it anywhere myself if need be. So now I have two forty footers and a 20 footer.

I have buried three 20 footers for friends who bought them for storm cellars. Much cheaper than standard storm cellars, stronger, bigger and the salt water paint protection is awesome. If you consider using them for storm cellars, be sure your terrain is suitable. Don't put them on flat ground that will saturate with rain and allow them to float out. :shock:

You might also consider getting some old freight trailers. I have two 48 foot dry vans that we use for storage. You can pick them up pretty cheap sometimes. I believe we gave $1,00.00 for one and $1,200.00 for the other.

J. T.":gchr519f said:
How wide and how tall are those shipping containers?

8 foot by 8 foot. I can measure the exact bug dust dimension on the inside/outside and let you know if you'd like.

The aluminum ones are a bit taller and they come in a different length too. A freind of mine bought aluminum and it seems they were 8 foot 6 tall and 48 feet long. If you would like to know those specifics, he is only a phone call away.

Update on info. Post Katrina, FEMA has been buying up containers. That has increased the prices for aluminum ones, so I am told.

The aluminum containers my contact bought are 8' - 6" wide and 9'-6" tall 53 feet long.

Latest posts