Some Feedlot/Shipping Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I spent the day helping haul, sort, and brand inspect several loads of calves that were weighed up at one of the local feedlots- before they were loaded for trips to Des Moines and West Point Nebraska....Remembered to take the camera and snapped a few pictures when I had the time- altho the place was kind of a zoo with semi loads of cattle coming and going...Some nice calves- one bunch of Feb steers averaged 640- and my old partner- who runs right up the creek - March steers averaged 685....

Oct302008013.jpg

Jeri-One of the ranchers selling loading the scale....

Oct302008014.jpg

Smile Jeri- the calves in the back are ones already worked and weighed...I'd inspect and count them on and off the scale- and they don't go back into the worked pen until we all agree on count...

Oct302008015.jpg

Some of the pens of cattle left to be worked- and still more being hauled in...

Oct302008019.jpg

The Big Boss- Mom, showed up with the Little Boss Jack who let Dad know he was ready to go to work...

Oct302008020.jpg

Jack taking a couple back to the sick pen...

Oct302008021.jpg

Dad-Dad- did you see me whip up those cows? What can I chase now? Dad- I'm ready to take over the job buying calves....

I like Jack. That picture of him driving the calves to the sick pen is post card material. I hope you get some prints of it to save. Definitely a Kodak moment for sure. Thanks for sharing.

loved the pics of the cattle an pens.an lil jack was to cute driving those calves to the sick pen.

great photos... thanks for sharing. Looks like Jack is ready to go at anytime.

I showed my wife the picture of Jack and all she could do was make some ooooooiiing noise and said he is "soooooooo cute".

Yep those are great pics. You have alot to be proud of.

baxter78":ayva8vy4 said:
Looks like that jack is going to make a real cowboy (cow man) some day.

He probably doesn't have much choice- as his Dad runs one of the family owned feedlots along with helping to run the family cattle operation that probably runs another 7,000-10,000 head of cattle counting mother cows and yearlings...

The family has been neighbors to us for years- and I watched his Dad and Mom both grow up and hope to get the opportunity to watch Jack too... ;-)

Sylvan is the pen rider on the horse- and does most the doctoring- and you should have seen the smile on her face watching Jack herd those calves back :D

Latest posts