Severe drought = cure for barn blindness

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. Greenjeans

Reaction score
As we were driving a 7 hour round trip from West to East Texas to buy a new bull today, I was considering the extent of the drought. While having empathy for those of us affected, the thought of improvement in the cattle in Texas crossed my mind. I have certainly culled back dramatically as well as the rest of my extended family as well as everyone else by way of record numbers crossing the scales at local cattle auctions.

What we have retained is what I consider the absolute best of our Angus/Brangus herds. The bull I brought home was a Gelbvieh bull purchased for $2500 last year by a producer with worse conditions than I have -- I paid considerably less. After having never driven more than 3 miles for my next herdsire, I am now coming home with a registered continental to take advantage of heterosis, improved efficiencies, and the resulting maternal impact of retaining cross-bred heifers.

I was forced into selling cattle I would have retained. I was forced to improve my herd. It was not of my own volition that my cattle improved ... it was the lack of forage. :oops:

The challenge for Texas producers will be to breed up from our outstanding remaining herds, not by buying culls and trying for years to polish a turd.

barn blindness is gone around here.alot have sold down to a bare bones cowherd.an more are selling out every week.buyer blindness will set in when the drought breaks,because every1 will be buying anything that can raise a calf.

Hi. Nice thoughts. I have considered the same and wonder what happen in the fifties and sixties in Texas? Should make for some entertainment/real opportunity at the sale barns in the years to come. What do you think? Where are you located?

The drought has allowed me to know EXACTLY how many cows I can run on a lean year. The drought has allowed me to acquire better genetics through the unfortunate circumstances of other producers during these hard times. The drought has allowed me to probe the memory of my 91 year old (and still running more cattle than me) grandfather who began his ranch after returning from WWII during the previous record breaking drought of the 50's. This drought has allowed me to test my diligence in becoming a better producer through perseverence. I am determined to have the best seedstock available when the birds start singing again.

I have set up a water pump transfer system between tanks (ponds to you yanks) which will allow me to always have quality drinking water when the eventual "grass rain" comes along. We have infrequent rains of the magnitude that will cause our tanks to "run around" (fill up to you yanks), therefore we will be prepared through due diligence. I will never overstock my ranch again and consider myself someone who raises cattle but manages grass.

By the way, TexasBred, I live on the east side of West Texas which allowed me to go to the west side of East Texas in just under 7 hours today. Even though I no longer live in Lubbock there is a little known fact: Lubbock to Harlingen vs. Lubbock to Phoenix vs. Lubbock to Cheyenne .... same distance between them all. That is how extensive this drought is and its effects will be more detrimental if we buy scabs when good times return as bigbull338 suggested.

Buy quality and breed up -- don't waste your hay on anything else.

Greenjeans

Mr. Greenjeans":2ht7htg8 said:
I was forced into selling cattle I would have retained. I was forced to improve my herd. It was not of my own volition that my cattle improved ... it was the lack of forage. :oops:

The challenge for Texas producers will be to breed up from our outstanding remaining herds, not by buying culls and trying for years to polish a turd.

drought is an eye opener. mother nature does it best and without bias...

coming back to texas in 60 days wont help the cows unless their owners have enough hay to carry them.i doubt if we much more than sprinkles by then.

Stocker Steve":2cj308ym said:
There are some Texas cows making it all the way up to Minnesota. I think they will be looking for a return trip in about 60 days.

I somewhat agree but whether it is 60 days, a year, or whenever, the number of cows that is going to be needed to replace what has been sold is huge. My thoughts are that many will buy whatever they can find instead of looking for better genetics. I think some operations will have a much better herd but many will have whatever they can get that will eat grass.

Latest posts