Self employment options?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ez ,I wish you the best in what ever you decide, feel free to PM me on any questions you have on self employment ,I'd be glad to help you.

ohiosteve said:
Ez, if you want to travel and see some of the country, right now the oilfield and pipeline companies can't find enough guys who are willing to work. If you are a good worker you will climb the ladder quickly, and make a boatload of money. I highly recommend looking into it.
If i was your age I wouldn't stop till I had a job there. Work your butt off for a few years and then get an easy job the rest of your life. I have a friend that is a pipeline welder and a forman over a welding crew. He is going to retire in 2 years at the old age of 35.

greybeard said:
ohiosteve said:
Ez, if you want to travel and see some of the country, right now the oilfield and pipeline companies can't find enough guys who are willing to work. If you are a good worker you will climb the ladder quickly, and make a boatload of money. I highly recommend looking into it.

This is something I did for over a decade in a previous lifetime.
It's dirty hard rock & mud, freezing hot, muddy, miserable, greasy oily, backbreaking, dusty don't stop for nuthin work and dangerous as heck but if I had it to do over, I do it again in a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXzZTYjUl0
make 'em bite worm......
I feel the same way as you greybeard. I only know ez from on here but I get the impression he would like it also. It's generally a really good group of guys to work with.

greybeard said:
I have stated many times, that a small job contractor in this area can make a small fortune.
Porches, decks, repainting interiors, a little plumbing, running more piping for additional hose faucets outside, screening in a porch, building small outbuildings and well houses.
It's easy to find a builder for big projects but everyone I know (myself included) has had huge problems finding someone to do little projects we don't have time to do ourselves.
It usually goes like this:
You find someone to come out and give a quote on a job. You accept their quote, and they say they will start on a certain day, then never show up. What happens is, they find a bigger job that will last longer and they can make more $ on.

My two older sisters could keep a "handyman" busy for weeks and weeks..............if they could find one.
(I know, because for about 3 years, they ran me ragged doing this and that for them untill I finally told them I just couldn't do it any more without getting so far behind on my own projects and maintenance)

The guy I know doing that is starving. Didn't make sense. Then I heard what a jerk he was. Does everything his own way and doesn't do what his customers ask. No wonder.

Most folks running a weld shop started part time. Then it became a full time position.

Attitude means a lot. A whole lot.

Attitude means a lot. A whole lot.
Yep. A person can 'think' whatever they want, but they better present a good attitude to their customers, especially if they ever want to work for that customer again or get good references/word of mouth work from that customer's family or friends.

One of the things you have to think about with self employment is that you don't have retirement or insurance unless you set them up. That's one of the biggest reasons that keeps me from doing it. Also, when I have a slow month here at work, it's no big deal, my paycheck stays the same. For some folks that kind of stress doesn't matter, but for me and my wife I think it would kill us. There's several jobs that will get you outside, working your tail off that will offer that. Lineman for an electric company, welder, pipe fitter, etc.

Another thing that I see missing here is that you need to advertise. There's a ton of ways to do it for free at this point in time, but the biggest thing is that you can have the best product in the world and if no one knows you have it you won't make a dime.

So everyones gave their two cents. And I haven't seen any bad advise

It comes down to one quality. If you have it you'll be ok.
Most people need someone behind them cracking the whip. If you want to be self employed you have to be able to crack the whip on your on back. Every single day. ........

callmefence said:
So everyones gave their two cents. And I haven't seen any bad advise

It comes down to one quality. If you have it you'll be ok.
Most people need someone behind them cracking the whip. If you want to be self employed you have to be able to crack the whip on your on back. Every single day. ........

Know your abilities.

Always do what you say.
Never raise your price from your bid.
Never go crying for money in the middle of a job.
Fix your mistakes
Buy some liability insurance.

Lots of good advice. I really have to agree with fence on the points he made. I just wanted to repeat and highlight!

Also, be aware there is a thing called "self employment tax". If you work for a company, they pay half of your social security and other taxes. Your half is deducted from your check. If you are self employed, you pay both halves.

Setting up a LLC or something like that can be beneficial.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

kenny thomas said:
ohiosteve said:
If i was your age I wouldn't stop till I had a job there. Work your butt off for a few years and then get an easy job the rest of your life. I have a friend that is a pipeline welder and a forman over a welding crew. He is going to retire in 2 years at the old age of 35.

We have a fracking company staying at the hotel. They are begging for employees. Boss said they need to go through 100 people to hire 20. 1/2 can't pass the pizz test and the rest don't have drivers licenses. PM me EZ 14. I'll get you in touch with a good company that is hiring. You would have to move to Northern Pennsylvania and want to work.

Latest posts