Self employment options?

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
As some of you know I lost my job earlier this month and have been trying to decide what I want to do next. The idea of working for myself is quite appealing but I would prefer not to go into debt doing it. My experience is mostly in dairy farming and a little in construction (plus I have my dad who has 34 years of experience in construction) I generally excel in anything physical.

A couple ideas I have are doing small welding jobs (Not sure that's a real feasible option as there are several people around who do that)

or making custom concrete coffee tables (could put names, anniversaries etc formed right into the top. Could also do countertops, bar tops etc )

and I like the idea of being a cattle hauler though the cost of getting started could make that one tough

So what are some other ideas?

A lot of father- son sub-contractors around here. From laying flooring, to spray in insulation, some of those two man jobs, that are one or two days of works per job. Pretty feasible to get into with out to much investment.

You might look around and see if anyone needs a partner, or extra boy. Help keep the bills paid till you can work something else out.

HVAC. You don't have to be good at it because there's nothing to be good at, other than good customer service. It will go with what you say you already know. Find a contractor that you can learn the trade from even if you have to work cheap, until you can get licensed. The need will always be there and you will be able to do it in to your late years. You sound like a young man so you will most probably be working for a long time. Good luck!

Not sure exactly where you are from, but If you can weld and know the other full time welders you may visit with them. I know sometimes they get behind on jobs around here and will farm out smaller jobs (building flagpoles, repairing cattle guards, building gates etc.). Go-to the local lumber yard talk to the guys that work there, maybe get some cheap business cards made and leave some there. A good RELIABLE Carpenter is hard to find a lot of times. And, you will be surprised how busy you will get fast... Good luck.

sim.-ang.king said:
A lot of father- son sub-contractors around here. From laying flooring, to spray in insulation, some of those two man jobs, that are one or two days of works per job. Pretty feasible to get into with out to much investment.

You might look around and see if anyone needs a partner, or extra boy. Help keep the bills paid till you can work something else out.

I like the idea of spray-in insulation. Especially if there is no one in your area. Hot commodity, unless you have to compete with someone already established - then it could get ugly.

If you like doing physical work you should be fine. It is hard to find people anymore that will do that.

If you like real work and like to work outside. You'll be just fine. There's plenty you can do with minimal investment. I'm the right area you can make more with a good lawnmower and a weed eater than your hs teachers make. Fence builder, carpenter, decks and barns. It's endless.
As far as welding just remember there is a big difference in welding up a fence brace and say welding a hitch on a trailer. Know your abilities.

Always do what you say.
Never raise your price from your bid.
Never go crying for money in the middle of a job.
Fix your mistakes
Buy some liability insurance.

If where you are is like Texas. Before you know it your income will only be limited by the amount of hours you are willing to work......and you get to makt that decision.

Good advice so far. Everything Fence says is true and I don't think you could go wrong folloing his advice. If you can weld and do construction work maybe starting a metal Building or shed business would be a good way to get your feet wet. The only downside I see to working for yourself these days is it seems to take more than one gig to make it.

people are begging me to work (construction) none stop everyday. More work then I can handle.. trying to hire new guys but can't get anyone to work.

it's crazy.. most people don't want to even paint a wall.. or do anything! they'll pay you hundreds to clean gutters for 10 minutes! people are so lazy.

its pretty hard to find someone who can even PAINT a wall though.. wow!

ddd75 said:
people are begging me to work (construction) none stop everyday. More work then I can handle.. trying to hire new guys but can't get anyone to work.

Ain't that the truth.
The economy is busting at the seams. You can literally pick your jobs and still stay several months behind.
I can't figure out what's changed in last couple years.

I'd second the metal building part or pole barns, you can start out fairly cheap, rent equipment at first, like skidloaders, lifts. Hand tools and screw guns are fairly inexpensive.

It is indeed crazy what people will pay to keep from doing some work. A couple weeks ago Seattle had a heavier than usual snow. I hear on the news that a high school kid with a snow blower made $35,000 in 4 days blowing snow off driveways and sidewalks.
My oldest son had a gutter business which didn't have much start up cost. As a side deal he would clean gutters. Sort of put them in his pocket and on any days when didn't have gutter installation to do the cleanings. Made $400-$500 a day doing that.

I have stated many times, that a small job contractor in this area can make a small fortune.
Porches, decks, repainting interiors, a little plumbing, running more piping for additional hose faucets outside, screening in a porch, building small outbuildings and well houses.
It's easy to find a builder for big projects but everyone I know (myself included) has had huge problems finding someone to do little projects we don't have time to do ourselves.
It usually goes like this:
You find someone to come out and give a quote on a job. You accept their quote, and they say they will start on a certain day, then never show up. What happens is, they find a bigger job that will last longer and they can make more $ on.

My two older sisters could keep a "handyman" busy for weeks and weeks..............if they could find one.
(I know, because for about 3 years, they ran me ragged doing this and that for them untill I finally told them I just couldn't do it any more without getting so far behind on my own projects and maintenance)

Good advice so far. I'd just like to reiterate that you have to do what you say and show up when you say you are going to show up or at least call well in advance if there is a hiccup, Most people are reasonable if you are upfront with them. If you do this you'll end up with more work than you can do and when this happens you need to learn turning down work and picking your jobs will make the difference between your making a living and making money. You can't make $100/hr doing $6/hr work. I think this is a mistake a lot of people make because they would rather have work than sit at the house. I've been guilty of this myself when I started out but I soon learned there isn't any money chasing butterflies especially when you inevitably have to chase them to get your paid.

Good luck. Again, a good reputation will pay serious dividends in the long run.

Ez, No matter which path you take there comes a huge amount of responsibility with self employment, a long list of things. And no matter what you think or what others say the stress can be enormous, there is a lot to say for punching a clock and going home. I use to think that just working hard would get it done but there is much more than that. The things I say or even type may sound harsh but I can't help that it's in my dna, I don't need to know you to want the best for you.

Just want to reiterate a point someone else touched on:
Make dang sure you have general liability insurance in place; especially if you intend to work on anyones plumbing or electric. Water can do a tremendous amount of financial damage in short time.
Blue dawg is also correct. Being self employed comes with many challenges that can be exasperating at times; however, if one can persevere, the rewards can be very bountiful. Juice v. Squeeze.

Best o luck!

Ez, if you want to travel and see some of the country, right now the oilfield and pipeline companies can't find enough guys who are willing to work. If you are a good worker you will climb the ladder quickly, and make a boatload of money. I highly recommend looking into it.

It takes alot to be a self employed business, basically you have to be heads above the rest,which today doesn't mean a lot, if you pick something that you have a passion for and put in the effort, you can make it work , anyone can punch a time clock, when you're self employed you better be ready to take care of your family and others.

ohiosteve said:
Ez, if you want to travel and see some of the country, right now the oilfield and pipeline companies can't find enough guys who are willing to work. If you are a good worker you will climb the ladder quickly, and make a boatload of money. I highly recommend looking into it.

This is something I did for over a decade in a previous lifetime.
It's dirty hard rock & mud, freezing hot, muddy, miserable, greasy oily, backbreaking, dusty don't stop for nuthin work and dangerous as heck but if I had it to do over, I do it again in a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXzZTYjUl0
make 'em bite worm......

Latest posts