Sedge grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
I just brought a small land across down the road that has sedge grass and carney grass. The land is only 5 acres and is right by the marshes. Is the sedge grass a good hay or nay nay?

Had a severe sedge problem years ago. The local Agronomist said it was a strong indication of poor soil conditions. Suggested a soil test and then make the necessary soil amendments.

Never seen a cow eat it. You can probably get by with 500lbs/acre lime and not see it for years.

shaz":2ihpr54j said:
Never seen a cow eat it. You can probably get by with 500lbs/acre lime and not see it for years.
I had it bad, or have it.. Will see. I put down 2 tons and acre last summer.

HDRider":254zfrlc said:
Will cattle eat it when it first comes out and tender green??
Yes.
They will also eat it as hay if cut while it is short. It will not make much yield when cut short for hay but it stresses the sage and from blooming.

my cows will eat it in the winter time if I make them :)

mine wont touch it..got a good stand..i call it broom cane..wife llikes it for crafts...its in a low wet part...I gotta mow it or burn it off

As I said, I had a lot of this in my pastures, about 100 acres. These pastures have had hay cut once a year for the last few years.
I am going to mow this in April. Should I cut the grass high or low? My cutter will go from 2" to 12".

I'll be putting cattle on it later this year.

My cows would eat it mixed in a bale with good grass but not in the pasture . A little line and it should die out .

As someone said previously, it burns very well. It is a dicot and so 2,4-d will work on it. Though in my experience it is slow to work, only does so in May-June and is best if you mow it first.

If you have thick clumps of it you can hit it with glyphosate as well. This works much faster than 2,4-d but will obviously kill native grasses as well. I have done this with a backpack sprayer (targeted spraying of clumps) and then followed it with drip torch burning and reseeding.

The only way I have 100% eradicated it from a field is to spray the entire field with glyphosate, burn, til, spray the resprout, burn, then plant.

Latest posts