scurred and homopolled

Help Support CattleToday:

haase

Reaction score
Have a question, If you take a scurred cow and breed to a polled bull and have a bull calf, will the bull calf be homo polled? Heard this the other day and was wondering if it was true.

the scurred bull carries both horned an polled genes.most times the polled gene comes out.when the scurred bull is bred to a polled cow.unless the polled cow carries both the polled an horned gene.then the scurred or horned gene could come out in the calf.

bigbull338":r44cwb9y said:
the scurred bull carries both horned an polled genes.most times the polled gene comes out.when the scurred bull is bred to a polled cow.unless the polled cow carries both the polled an horned gene.then the scurred or horned gene could come out in the calf.

The last research I have read, it was still inconclusive whether homozygous polled cattle can express scurs or not. Haven't seen anything newer stating the contrary.

Scurs is actually seperate set of genes and has very little (almost nothing) to do with either polled or horned genes except that in the case of horns the horns will be present instead of scurs.

The heriditary in scurs is sex linked and the scur gene is dominant in bulls and recessive in heifers.
The scurs can vary from a small almost invisible loose scab to a horn size hornlike growth that can even grow attached to the skull. Talk about an imprecise science! :roll:

haase,
To answer your original question, no the bullcalf will not neccesarily be homo polled, either or both the bull and cow could be heterozygous polled and you can either get a homo polled bull, hetero polled bull or even a horned bullcalf. With every chance of scurs in the case of a polled calf.

KNERSIE":aromsljt said:
bigbull338":aromsljt said:

The last research I have read, it was still inconclusive whether homozygous polled cattle can express scurs or not. Haven't seen anything newer stating the contrary.

Scurs is actually seperate set of genes and has very little (almost nothing) to do with either polled or horned genes except that in the case of horns the horns will be present instead of scurs.

The heriditary in scurs is sex linked and the scur gene is dominant in bulls and recessive in heifers.
The scurs can vary from a small almost invisible loose scab to a horn size hornlike growth that can even grow attached to the skull. Talk about an imprecise science! :roll:

haase,
To answer your original question, no the bullcalf will not neccesarily be homo polled, either or both the bull and cow could be heterozygous polled and you can either get a homo polled bull, hetero polled bull or even a horned bullcalf. With every chance of scurs in the case of a polled calf.
i like your thinking.thats like saying a hereford bull on black angus cows all the calves will be black.wrong a hereford bull can have the dom gene that can override the black gene anytime.

bigbull338":2hs2dwf0 said:
i like your thinking.thats like saying a hereford bull on black angus cows all the calves will be black.wrong a hereford bull can have the dom gene that can override the black gene anytime.

Hate to say this, but there is no dominant red gene. If you end up with a red calf from a Hereford bull and a Black Angus cow, that means that the COW had the RED gene. Not that there is a dominant red gene.

randiliana":32f8t9xa said:
bigbull338":32f8t9xa said:

Hate to say this, but there is no dominant red gene. If you end up with a red calf from a Hereford bull and a Black Angus cow, that means that the COW had the RED gene. Not that there is a dominant red gene.

Correct :nod:

well im going to strongly dissagree with you 2 on that.an heres why.ive talked to hereford breeders that tween them have well over 100yrs breeding reg herefords.an thats what they say.they say a super dom red gene herefod bull on pure angus cows the bull can an will throw red white face calves from black cows.

bigbull338":35l9b1v0 said:
well im going to strongly dissagree with you 2 on that.an heres why.ive talked to hereford breeders that tween them have well over 100yrs breeding reg herefords.an thats what they say.they say a super dom red gene herefod bull on pure angus cows the bull can an will throw red white face calves from black cows.

Very politely I'll say, they're full of BULL. Red/black color genes and polled/horned are probably the most studied and best understood of any of the gene's in cattle. Too often any black cow is called Angus even if she's really just a black cow.

well dun looks like you just proved that theres no purebred reg angus.but the truth is we was all taught differant in the cattle business.an nor do we know everything about this businessim no schlor i admitt that.

bigbull338":19yffsgg said:

Well, I would have to say that those hereford breeders need to study genetics a little more. Pure angus cows can carry the red gene, where do you think Red Angus came from. Go to the Angus Association website, they have a whole list of animals that carry the red gene. By the way, the white face gene is separate from the color gene....... Want some more info, check out this blog

http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

bigbull338":1yoydx8l said:
well dun looks like you just proved that theres no purebred reg angus.but the truth is we was all taught differant in the cattle business.an nor do we know everything about this businessim no schlor i admitt that.

If there was such a thing as a prepotent dominant red gene, every calf sired by the bull that carried it would be red.
I bet MARC would really like to know about these bulls.
We have one old black Angus cow that has alwasy been bred to a red bull, either Simmenthal, Red Angus or Polled Hereford. She has only had one red calf, that one was sired by a Polled Hereford. That same bull bred to a dozen other black cows only sired that one red calf. Now where do you suppose the second red gene came from?

You cannot even get a homo polled breeding polled to polled most of the time. I have bred polled to polled and got horned calves more often than i would like even using double animals. I have been told by a couple of breeders that using a surred on horned seemed to produce more polled calves. While using surred on polled would produce more horns but if the calves from this mating were polled they would have higher chance of being homo polled. Remember this is a few breeders talking about a few bulls. Might only happen with a few indivual animals.

bigbull338":154lswjp said:

I don't agree. Purebred is what the breed registry defines as purebred. Maybe your statement would be correct to say Fullblood instead of purebred. :cboy:

JMichal":25megldi said:
bigbull338":25megldi said:

I don't agree. Purebred is what the breed registry defines as purebred. Maybe your statement would be correct to say Fullblood instead of purebred. :cboy:

Since you can;t breed up black Angus there isn;t any need for the confusing fullblood purebred BS.

dun":2ixsfdca said:
JMichal":2ixsfdca said:
bigbull338":2ixsfdca said:

Since you can;t breed up black Angus there isn;t any need for the confusing fullblood purebred BS.

Can you "Breed Up " any breed? Please explain in a little more detail for us simple minded folk. Can you find or Import pure Angus Blood?

Cowdirt":1by8kkyp said:
I'll say it this way. A homozygous black cow bred to a red bull will not produce red offspring.

Beins we live in America and my Red Bull does your white cow do we get a blue calf :frowns: :compute: :compute:

JMichal":3mtldkfz said:
Cowdirt":3mtldkfz said:
I'll say it this way. A homozygous black cow bred to a red bull will not produce red offspring.

Beins we live in America and my Red Bull does your white cow do we get a blue calf :frowns: :compute: :compute:

Yes, with a star in it's forehead. ;-)

Latest posts