screwfoot? pics of foot problem..long toe

Help Support CattleToday:

learning that guru title is more like it brother..i didn't even notice..thanks for pointing it out..
450lber brought 2.25 today..was worth all the troubles on payday

:clap: if you got the fold off the wall of her hoof that she walks on, I am sure that she feels better! Good job cowboy!

we will keep an eye on her...i think she will be fine..

still looking for some kinda explanation for all the broken crack looking btms on the sole. looked like a shattered glass. but it washed out clean. didnt stink and i couldnt stick my knife into it..the fissues were hard...some kinda fungus??

A photo might have helped with that question :)
All I can think is either: the sole has been under-run in multiple places and you're looking at the various layers and fissures resulting
or as brangus suggested the outside wall has folded in and been walked on such that the remainder of the sole is neither growing or being worn down and thus doesn't look smooth and flat like most feet do.

I had one years ago that had big white blobs on the bottom of her foot... can't remember what they were, vet said it was the worst foot he'd ever seen, but she came right. Needed trimmed once a year for the rest of her life but at that time I'd thought she was ready to become a downer any day.

I have a question. Was it pretty wet this winter where the cow was? I had that trouble with one cow that was running the feed trough pretty bad and I think she got acidosis. She formed a sore on her foot, but her feet look fine now and she is OK.

Check out this trimming device. See how he holds the leg. When I took a couple of cows to have them trimmed, the man made their feet bleed. After watching these videos, that is pretty cruel how he treated mine. He charged $65 a cow
[youtube]uQNrMinz1nc[/youtube]

Here ya go....except you would have to loop it around under her pastern...er I mean her ankle. :lol2: I think I would have used a larger diameter softer rope. Look, a dumb ole girl is doing it. :roll:
[youtube]xpdx9ZfiixM[/youtube]

Something else I was going to add, I think what ever rail I was going to place that cows leg on, I would have some kind of padding there, mostly if it was square railing. I would have to put my brain on that one because it would be easily torn off too. Maybe a large poly tube of insulation that goes around pipes duct taped on????

i did it kinda like the girl in blue..cept i didnt bring it outside. hooked the knee and brought it up high as i could then tied off the foot. cow didnt like it but i didnt get kicked in the face either...

the guy with the grinder is an artist..but he aint kneeling n the dirt behind that cow in headcatch when its the 20th one in 100 degree heat either...i didnt go nearly as far as he did

that chick in the last video got some guns on her...she aint no slacker.
she wouldnt have it so easy with my cows...that one is a pet...mine wouldve sent her flying i think

I would be like you. I would not go as deep, but make it where it made it real comfortable for the cow. That was a really neat blade he had for his grinder. What kind of blade did you use? A regular girding wheel for metal?

i atually used a sharp knife to dg into it but for the major shaping i used a pr of laupers like for trimming small tree branches. sharpened em up real good and they worked pretty well.but i just matched the other toe and then trimmed em with the knife