Scouring Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

We shoot Pepto down their throat with a syringe (no needle of course). About 60cc 2x a day. Works great.

I have had more than one experienced person tell me that Pepto works well. I have used it with good result. Kid medications, pepto, baby asperine, I ground up and Immodium once when I had nothing else. Anything probably beats nothing in a pinch.

Lots of human medecine work great with calfs. Immodium, Pepto, Asperin, Zithromax, ....But you got to be carefull . Exemple... Cipro and milk are not friends.

Rick":6zkkkqjg said:
has anyone ever heard of trying pepto bismol on calves I know it works for humans but how would a calf handle it and if you heard of it, how much would you give

We used to add cream of wheat to there milk. Worked well. Also Kohln pectin. (cow version of pepto cheeper than pepto)

Double R Ranch":w2pqr1q3 said:
Rick":w2pqr1q3 said:
has anyone ever heard of trying pepto bismol on calves I know it works for humans but how would a calf handle it and if you heard of it, how much would you give

We used to add cream of wheat to there milk. Worked well. Also Kohln pectin. (cow version of pepto cheeper than pepto)

Cream of wheat....hmmmm, that's interesting. :nod:

What color are the scours? If they're a pure or just off-white, this is from rich milk or too much milk, and may be caused by the corn sileage. We tend to see alot of milk scours around here due to the richness of the hay, however the calves adapt almost immediately (couple days) with no treatment at all.

If the scours are bloody, you need to forget about pills and start using Borgal or another registered drug for use on bloody scours.

If the scours are a light to medium green, this is caused by a viral infection of some sort, and the only cure I've found for this is NuFlor. With the wet fall, I was unable to clean my pens adequately, and I've had to treat a couple cases of this. Don't confuse this with the looseness that many calves get when they first get turned out to grass, even though it looks similar.

When giving the electrolytes, mix some Pepto Bismal in with them. This does not help eliminate the scours as some people believe (most scours that people treat are milk scours, which clears up on its own in a couple days), however it does coat the stomach wall and help the calf rest easier.

Rod

Latest posts