Scouring Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Rick

Reaction score
We are a cow/calf beef operation in Wisconsin. And we have been having problems with our calves with the scours. We have been feeding the cows with a corn silage and dry hay. The corn silage smells and looks good. Could the calves be having a problem with the corn silage through the cows. Calves are very weak and cows udders are bagging up. Should the cows be milked? We have been treating the calves with Electrolytes and scouring pills and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Need a little more information...
Age of calves.
Exact drugs you've been using.

Just a thought...could you move the calves to ground that hasn't been used by the cows...or any other calves, for that matter. All kinds of nasty bacteria can live in soil. We have a place here at our farm that I wouldn't put a calf on now if my life depended on it...'cause they'll scour and die in a heartbeat. Also, my brother, who's been a dairyman for most of his 52 years, as my father was before him, says that if the calf can't keep the cow milked down, you need to milk the cow. Sometimes their udders get so swollen that the calf can't get it in its mouth and effectively suck it and if the cows aren't milked down they can wind up will all kinds of teat problems.

Myself, for the scours, I'd give them an antibiotic that's a little more powerful than scour pills. And keep the electrolytes going. I know that mother's milk is always better, but if you're really worried about the milk they are getting, maybe you should switch them to a high protein milk replacer and feed them small amounts throughout the day interchanging with the electrolytes. Oh, one other thing...microbials...push the microbials (Pro Bios).
I feel for ya'...

Alice

The calves are any where between one to three weeks old and now their noses are peeling. We also have been using Intestasorb and Re Sorb.

Resorb is a brand of electrolytes.

What type of antibiotic are you using?

I have a heifer calf who scoured pretty badly and her nose peeled. I though it was because she was pink and white on her face and got sunburned or because she's always licking her nose. She is better now.

I have never tried this because it seemed pretty old fashioned, but there is an old lady down the road from us that has a small dairy. She's 89 and still working cows every day! Gone through 4 husbands. Says she worked the all to death.

Anyway, she told me to mix up 12 raw eggs and give it to a calf in the bottle for scours. She swears by it. Anyone ever heard it that? Tried it?

I've tried one egg...but not twelve! :shock: :lol: Not sure it did anything.

I had a set of bull calves last year that came down with really bad scours and high fevers. One of them lost hair all over his hind quarters, belly, chest, face, ears, etc. Recovered fine and the hair grew back, but he sure looked odd for awhile.

Beefy, that is what she said. i am afraid to try it. I have chickens, so I had enough eggs to spare, Gaws knows, but I have been reluctant to try this home remedy. Now, I did grind up two Immodium pills one time and put in the milk when I didnt have anything else and I needed to feed. Seems to work!

Some people swear by the raw egg thing...I've tried it...with absolutely no luck at all. Of course, the people that told me about the egg trick also had calves (holstein bull calves) that had the benefit of their mother's colostrum. My holstein bull calves may have had, and may not have had any colostrum. Here the bull calves are snatched away and hauled to the auction about the time they hit the ground. :( :mad:

Alice

If all else has failed I've used a ground up charcoal briqette in their milk. Clogs them pretty tight. All it does is dry out their guts, doesn;t do a thing if the have a digestive infection.

dun

Lammie":3a8pqoqi said:
Anyway, she told me to mix up 12 raw eggs and give it to a calf in the bottle for scours. She swears by it. Anyone ever heard it that? Tried it?

That's a new one. Since eggs are almost pure protein and an excess of protein will cause scours, it looks to me like they would make them worse - not better. :???:

msscamp":g80tlbok said:
Lammie":g80tlbok said:

That's a new one. Since eggs are almost pure protein and an excess of protein will cause scours, it looks to me like they would make them worse - not better. :???:

Same thing I was thinking.

I think it's safe to say there's a lot of home remedies out there that can and will work on occasion with a little bit of luck. I'd prefer to stick with something proven that I know how and why it will work, rather than a mysterious concotion. :lol: ;-)

milkmaid":1ac6z6q6 said:
msscamp":1ac6z6q6 said:
Lammie":1ac6z6q6 said:

Same thing I was thinking.

I think it's safe to say there's a lot of home remedies out there that can and will work on occasion with a little bit of luck. I'd prefer to stick with something proven that I know how and why it will work, rather than a mysterious concotion. :lol: ;-)

I would have to agree - on both points! :lol: :lol:

How bout this? I have a friend who has raised many bottle calves and he said that sometimes lamb milk replacer is easier on their systems. Anyone try that?

Lately I've been using Purina Pro Nurse until the babies are about 3 weeks old and have been having real good luck with it...at least a lot better luck than the 20/20 milk replacer we used to use. It's for all kinds of livestock babies...calves, goats, lambs, etc.

I still use that 20/20, but introduce it gradually after 3 weeks. It's a whale of a lot cheaper than the Purina Pro Nurse.

Alice

I guess some calves just want to live dispite some of the good old ways of treating scours. I know a guy that still thinks the best way to treat a calf is with a egg and a shot of whisky. :(

I sure hate to hear of anyone having scour problems. I know is no fun at all. We use to get quite a lot of it.
Changes we made are: Worked to get a dry,clean area for calving. We changed calving months to a drier time so the cows had clean udders and they could be turned out to pasture. We give scourgaurd 3 (K), 7 way,and vitamines AD&E to cows before calving. If a calf gets loose I like using Nuflor and probios. I've had good luck with Fastrack also,www.drshultz.com . This year I put out some Biomos mineral and I have the driest tails ever. The drought may be helping that to. Cargil offers biomos mineral I know but I'm sure there are others.
Good luck.
Ned Jr.

has anyone ever heard of trying pepto bismol on calves I know it works for humans but how would a calf handle it and if you heard of it, how much would you give

Rick":29fhfwh9 said:
has anyone ever heard of trying pepto bismol on calves I know it works for humans but how would a calf handle it and if you heard of it, how much would you give

With bottle calves we've given it in the milk with others we just poked the pills down their throats.

dun

Latest posts