Scale recommendations?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I've done a search but it didn't turn up too much. I've been kicking the idea of getting a scale (load bars and indicator) to go under my Priefert S0191 squeeze. I've looked at Tru Test, Gallagher, Southwest, B and B, and I'm getting dizzy. Any models you would recommend or suggest staying away from, for whatever reason?

First of all do not put your scale under your chute. your load cells will last alot longer if you make a platform or get a platform and put it in your chute or just right behind it. load cells do not stand the rocking back and forth of catching cattle in the head gate.
Also make sure they get installed right. I have had good luck with scales from A an A scales. Look at them on there web site then look on ebay, should be cheaper.

muleskinner":3ef0hzq9 said:
First of all do not put your scale under your chute. your load cells will last alot longer if you make a platform or get a platform and put it in your chute or just right behind it. load cells do not stand the rocking back and forth of catching cattle in the head gate.
Also make sure they get installed right. I have had good luck with scales from A an A scales. Look at them on there web site then look on ebay, should be cheaper.

A&A is where I bought mine and posted in the picture my platform will be before the headgate.

We bought the basic True test set, with the platform, and it goes IN our chute, not under. We love it, and have taken it out to weight round bales, and to our county fair AI they can weigh the steers.

I just put a ASWB-75 Anston scale under my Big Valley Silencer chute. We worked and weighed the entire herd. The scale worked good. Our one problem: we had made angle iron braces to keep the chute stable on the weigh bars. The cows and bulls hitting the head catch nearly wrecked the braces. I have since built way heavier braces and instead of one concrete ancer I have three ancors. I think as time goes by we are really goin to get a lot of good out of the scale and more records to go by. No I probably didn't need this large of scale and at $699 I could have saved a few dollars. I dicided to make sure it was adequate for future uses. Mel

muleskinner":2tjcnbah said:
IIRC, the TruTest bars was recommended for permanent install under the chute, and that they were designed to withstand the side loading/force of the forward and back of cattle hitting the chute? Have you had problems with one that you attribute to the side force?

The reason I was wanting to put under the chute is that the barn wall is the off side of the alleyway, with a foundation wall there about 2' high. I don't have good access to the off side to properly install a platform I don't think. Also, I don't want to have to mess with/wait on an animal to get off the sides of the cage before weighing. Weighting chute and all I won't have that problem. With that said, I don't want load cell problems either. May need to rethink things.

Personally I like mine under the chute. I used a friends in the alley before having my own and it just seemed to be slower. You stop them to weigh them, then have to run them in the chute. granted I did not have the best setup to keep them from backing off the platform but even with a better setup to me it was one extra step.

I had a few people ask for pictures of our scale inside our chute. so here it is:

chute doors closed
r7kg93.jpg

One chute door open (we do not usually use this door, we let them go from the other door, but the light was better on this side:
331fxie.jpg

Both doors open;
2bbbbs.jpg

Outside with the head attached to the chute:
5168ea.jpg

And to answer the last poster's question, we weigh the pigs in there also. We just walk them in like the cattle, and then walk them off. Our two pigs are weighing 188 and 156 pounds for our June show! Our steer was weighed last night and he is 1101, so we are right on track with him also.

don't buy from b&b, a friend of mine ordered 6 months ago and he never got it, they keep giving him excuses, charged his credit card and no scale

Finally got my scale set up. $400 kit Sky posted on here. Just had to make a platform. Very pleased.

bird dog":3ea15zp6 said:
Nice setup. You probably want to use some zip ties and tie up the cable to the post. Don't ask me how I know about this.

Yea I figured as much. Actually, I take the display down when not in use, rolled up the cord and put it in a 1 gal zip lock bag and stuffed it under the platform. I figured the calfs would have a field day. Just hope the field mice choose the poison and not the wire. Thanks BD. You have a similiar setup?

Yes I do have a similar setup. I have a True Test set that is under the squeeze and I have a cheaper set up like yours where I was backgrounding some calves. I also take the indicator off when finished. My pan pinched one of the load cell wires into and I had a calf get a leg thru the pipes and tangle the indicator wire. That one was OK but I had to replace the load cell.

I wish mine was on concrete but as it is right now, it sits on buried 4 x 6 timbers. When things quit working, always check the platform first. They move around

bird dog":165g57yy said:
Yes I do have a similar setup. I have a True Test set that is under the squeeze and I have a cheaper set up like yours where I was backgrounding some calves. I also take the indicator off when finished. My pan pinched one of the load cell wires into and I had a calf get a leg thru the pipes and tangle the indicator wire. That one was OK but I had to replace the load cell.

I wish mine was on concrete but as it is right now, it sits on buried 4 x 6 timbers. When things quit working, always check the platform first. They move around

I was worried about pinching a cell wire, but after assembling, it seems like I will have enough clearance under the platform. Platform is 1" square tubing with 1/4" diamond plate. After mounting cells and feet, seems like have plenty of space. Advice appreciated to avoid a problem like that.

skyhightree1":28ngv6qv said:
bball":28ngv6qv said:
Finally got my scale set up. $400 kit Sky posted on here. Just had to make a platform. Very pleased.

Looking good..

Thanks for the compliment, but more importantly, thanks for the great lead. :tiphat:

Latest posts