Vertical Feed Mixer Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

SmallTimin

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a vertical feed mixer. Right now I'm purchasing a premixed feed, but I'm wanting the ability to grind hay too. I also hope to move into commodities and mixing feed. My budget is going to be about 15k USD. I also will run it with 120 horse New Holland, with 100 pto HP. I'm fine with 1000 or 540. What do I need to look for as far as wear? Brands? I'll have to travel out of state, but I'm okay with that. Any help/ insight/ advice Is appreciated.

I can't offer much insight on vertical mixers although a few neighbours seem to enjoy theirs and i'm sure the the dealers and fuel suppliers do also.
The only situation where you can afford to put a machine between the mouth of the cow and her feed source is when the feed is a by-product of something else and is very low cost.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/blog/6-steps-low-input-cow-herd-feeding

Burke has a series of articles on profitable ranching lots of good info also there are YouTube presentations.

The big operator I run cattle for has several, and they are all different brands. They don't grind hay so they don't have much to offer in the way of an opinion on one either. As far putting a machine between a cow and their feed source, I am already using my tractor bucket to feed. Right now I'm feeding around 3,500-4,000 pounds of feed a day. It is time consuming to feed a tractor bucket at a time.

Don't depend on one for grinding large quantities of dry hay. If you're using big squares, or smaller round bales in a big mixer, it will do okay. Try putting a large bale that will fill it more than 50% and it will take quite a while and make a mess in the process.

As far as wear, check the thickness of the tub at the bottom, slop in the conveyor chain, and the thickness of the auger flighting. You will be able to see the original thickness under the knife bolt heads, if they appear raised the flighting is worn quite a bit. Check the knives, they are serrated when new and shouldn't be worn smooth.

Latest posts