Santa Gertrudis Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll second Brute. My preference is the Gert x Hereford, but I do also like them crossed with Red Angus.

I will chime in and agree with the others that have said Hereford. I have a few cows of that cross and really like them. I would think that Angus, would work real well too. Santa Gertrudis bulls would seem to me to work ok with about any kind of cowherd

I have got several pictures of Gert cross females. Here are a few:
Gert x Hereford
medium

Gert sired calf on a Charolais cow
medium

Gert x Red Angus
medium

Gert x Angus
medium

Gert x Gelbvieh
medium

Santa Gertridis sired calf out of a Sim-Angus cow
medium

]

Hi thanks for comments. I am still pretty new to rasing cattle. I do it right now just as a hobby but am trying to get to where this becomes a little more profitable in the near future. I currently have the 2 yr Gert bull. 1 hereford cow, 1 BrangusXHereford baldie heifer, 1 HerefordXAngus heifer bred to the gert bull due this February, his first. And 1 LonghornXBrangus pair. I am in the market to purchase 2-3 more cows or heifers and looking for some experienced guidance. I was thinking hard about trying to get a couple of reg hereford. Do you think registered is worth it for the small herd? I was hoping y'all would say Hereford was the best choice.

illegal_arm":3ncbbyiq said:
Hi thanks for comments. I am still pretty new to rasing cattle. I do it right now just as a hobby but am trying to get to where this becomes a little more profitable in the near future. I currently have the 2 yr Gert bull. 1 hereford cow, 1 BrangusXHereford baldie heifer, 1 HerefordXAngus heifer bred to the gert bull due this February, his first. And 1 LonghornXBrangus pair. I am in the market to purchase 2-3 more cows or heifers and looking for some experienced guidance. I was thinking hard about trying to get a couple of reg hereford. Do you think registered is worth it for the small herd? I was hoping y'all would say Hereford was the best choice.
Your location would be helpful in making recommendations. What is your goal for the calves and where and how do you plan to market the calves? I tried to show you examples of various Santa Gertrudis crosses so you can make up your mind based on your local markets. Gert x Hereford cross females are good cows and their brothers feed well. The same can be said for Santa Gertrudis x Angus/Red Angus. The calves from a Santa Gertrudis x British bred cow will be 3/16 (less than a 1/4 blood) Brahman influenced and can go on most orders.

illegal_arm":21n6zo2y said:
I am in south Texas and i plan on selling the calves by private treaty mostly.
That helps a lot. Since you are in South Texas, a red hided animal would be more environmentally adapted than a black one.

Latest posts