Salt/Minerals....Question

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie1":10za01zh said:
As far as I remember my main brand doesn't have any salt in it but I don't have a bag in front of me right now. I know in my area I go through 100+ pounds of mineral to 50 pounds of salt. I just bought a set of good black cattle who have had almost zero management. The first thing I did was put a mineral feeder out with 50 pounds of mineral and 50 pounds of salt. In a week I have I'd say 40 or so pounds of salt and ZERO mineral. These cattle haven't been getting what they need. IMO it doesn't matter if it has salt in the mineral or not. If the animals need it they know and they will consume it.
That belongs in the Old Wives Tail thread.

arkie1":3ji77dp4 said:
As far as I remember my main brand doesn't have any salt in it but I don't have a bag in front of me right now. I know in my area I go through 100+ pounds of mineral to 50 pounds of salt. I just bought a set of good black cattle who have had almost zero management. The first thing I did was put a mineral feeder out with 50 pounds of mineral and 50 pounds of salt. In a week I have I'd say 40 or so pounds of salt and ZERO mineral. These cattle haven't been getting what they need. IMO it doesn't matter if it has salt in the mineral or not. If the animals need it they know and they will consume it.

That's the reason for that. Your opinion vs mine.

LongLopeSlowHorse":v9eh7071 said:
No, it ain't junk.

Cattle will eat and crave salt.

They'll eat sticks and bones if they're short.

But most minerals taste bad. And cows won't eat them.

The so called 'smorgasboard'---where you put out the ingredients and they take what they want--is a joke.

With minerals---you got to have something in it to make them eat it---like salt, grain, etc.

And you gotta have something in it so they don't eat too much--like salt, phosphorous is bitter and used to be kinda a control but got too expensive.

so--it's a balancing act. And their consumption will change with their diet---not necessarily because their needs have changed.

I mix mine with loose salt. I make sure they're filled up on salt first, if they've run out. It's not recommended, I'm probably overfeeding a tad, I can get close to the 4 oz rec'd.

Since good mineral program, I have almost -o- dystocia and hardly ever have anything weird or malformed. Our calving assistance ---where somebody has hand inside a cow---is probably less than 1 in 200.

Good mineral is cheap. But---mineral is not something you buy on price. Know what you're getting and what ingredients are sourced from---some more expensive inputs are cheaper when you consider the efficiency.

In winter on rough feed, adding bovatec will pay all mineral and salt bills.

They eat those when they are short on mineral, not salt.

bball":1i7zzqo2 said:
TexasBred":1i7zzqo2 said:
:bs: :bs:

Your thoughts TB

Sould be a good mineral bb...well fortified an at least a portion of the minerals are organic (amino acid complexes). Probably well worth what you're paying IF they are eating the recommended amout. A small thing but the IGR (methroprene) is included at only about 75% of the recommended rate. And it does have the "Raincoat".

TexasBred":2gbwj4v3 said:
bball":2gbwj4v3 said:
TexasBred":2gbwj4v3 said:
:bs: :bs:

Your thoughts TB

Sould be a good mineral bb...well fortified an at least a portion of the minerals are organic (amino acid complexes). Probably well worth what you're paying IF they are eating the recommended amout. A small thing but the IGR (methroprene) is included at only about 75% of the recommended rate. And it does have the "Raincoat".

Thank you for the breakdown. Much appreciated.

Banjo":26gqan8h said:
What is bovatech? .....Excuse my ignorance.
Technical term is "Inophore" but is added to feed primarily as a prevention or treatment for coccidiosis. It also improves utilization of feed which gives better gain for the amount of feed fed. (theoretically).

Banjo":3h512j9c said:
What is bovatech? .....Excuse my ignorance.

another ionophore (sp) is rumensin--bovatec ain't as bitter. I can cram at least 10# of straw thru my cows. still need to do the math on meeting requirements.

Latest posts