Minerals & Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I just came in from putting minerals in one of those feeders with three compartments with a flap over it. I got to thinking about our small cow herd when I was a child. We fed no minerals and the salt was in a white block with a hole in one side to stick over a post top keep it off the ground. Have to admit I was guilty of licking that salt block, any one else want to fess up.

We always went by the grocery store and bought Iodized salt in 25 lb bags. We used the same salt to cure hog meat. We made them come to us for salt about once a week. Usually spread it out on big flat rocks that were plentiful. But yes sampled it often.

Still do lick the salt block. Freaks the kicks out, especially if you do it right after the cows get done with it.

We always went by the grocery store and bought Iodized salt in 25 lb bags. We used the same salt to cure hog meat. We made them come to us for salt about once a week. Usually spread it out on big flat rocks that were plentiful. But yes sampled it often.
Why iodized? I understand for table salt, why for the cows? Do they need trace amounts too?

Why iodized? I understand for table salt, why for the cows? Do they need trace amounts too?
Im sure it was just because that's what the stores kept in this area. Every store, even the little country stores kept it.
But the TN coop can get Redmond natural iodized salt and I have used it some in the past. Some evidence it may help with foot problems.

Still do lick the salt block. Freaks the kicks out, especially if you do it right after the cows get done with it.

Im sure it was just because that's what the stores kept in this area. Every store, even the little country stores kept it.
But the TN coop can get Redmond natural iodized salt and I have used it some in the past. Some evidence it may help with foot problems.
Is that at the Hawkins County Co-op?

I just came in from putting minerals in one of those feeders with three compartments with a flap over it. I got to thinking about our small cow herd when I was a child. We fed no minerals and the salt was in a white block with a hole in one side to stick over a post top keep it off the ground. Have to admit I was guilty of licking that salt block, any one else want to fess up.
heck yeah (loose tm was what Grampa put out), rolled barley too, and even an occasional alfalfa pellet. LOL

Heck I thought everybody did.

Is Iodine naturally occurring in the soil? I am just curious. I have never seen a cow with a goiter.
In only some soils and some regions. A bit of dull history - Back near 1900 the slogan for SC was "the iodine state" as early soil samples showed quite a bit. These would have been samples from more progressive farmers who also fertilized. The choice of fertilizer then was guano (bird manure from coastal birds in South America). Guess where the high levels of iodine were coming from?: not the soils. When the sources of fertilizer changed the slogan appeared.

Today, if you want to add function to your herds or flocks around here with easy keeping, have adequate iodine in the minerals and most hoof issues will disappear.

Is Iodine naturally occurring in the soil? I am just curious. I have never seen a cow with a goiter.
It is naturally occurring in most places but not at any elevated level. Most commercial feeds have some added but also in low amounts and seldom with any quaranteed level (look for ethylene diamine dihydriode) in the list of ingredients. Loose mineral is a better source for iodine supplementation.