Redmonds salt vs White salt

Help Support CattleToday:

The way you worded your response implied that your comment about facts getting in the way was directed at ssterry. He asked a legit question that didn't deserve a smart answer. It was uneccessary. Is that blunt enough for you?
I must have missed the question ssterry asked . All I saw was a statement.
So back to the topic at hand .
Has the op clarified wich of redmund brand salt blocks he feed so it can be compared to white salt.?
For anyone interested here is the website for redmonds agriculture division.

Do you understand what a question mark means? Maybe you should go back and read my post again.
Nit picking at my every single post won't change the facts . That you posted incorrect,inaccurate, information . When the correct info was posted prior. If you don't like my comments then click the ignore button instead of nit picking ever post I make and try to blow up every thread I post in by your repeated inaccurate, incorrect information.
Your personal bias against me don't change the facts

They don't catch much time for book learnin' in the intermountain west.
Yet I continue to make people with personal bias who continue to nitpick and try to play gotcha look like fools . With sound science and opinions backed up by research and data.
So I guess my edemucation ain't so bad effer all,even if it ain't no gooder book lernin

I use them all. Lol.
I use salt blocks, trace mineral, loose mineral and range meal.
The cows seem to go after the trace mineral blocks the most.
I figure they go after what they need the most.
Research suggests different.
Cows can self regulate or identify what minerals or how much they need. The consume salt/minerals based of palatability not based on needs or requirements.

Cows can self regulate or identify what minerals or how much they need. The consume salt/minerals based of palatability not based on needs or requirements.
That's a good article...

I have seen cows chew on bones sometimes when there's plenty grass, could it be because they need the calcium?
Studies are done all the time and debunked later.

I have seen cows chew on bones sometimes when there's plenty grass, could it be because they need the calcium?
Studies are done all the time and debunked later.
This goes off on a tangent, but you comment about cows licking bones for calcium made me think of something I saw one time. Just looked it up. Sure enough:

now are you ever going to reasonably expect to see a cow eating a rabbit? My thought would be no, but I have seen this pictured before (yes, absurdly strange) and I've seen two separate articles indicating that it's caused by a phosphorus deficiency. I take this with a grain of salt but one of the articles (not the one above) appeared to have legitimate research tied to it. It wasn't social media either, but it was on the internet. I'm of the belief you can't believe everything you see on the internet. So do I believe it? (grain of salt) Do I think its totally preposterous? (please present me the facts and evidence supporting this claim that, on the surface, appears totally absurd)

More university say cows can't self regulate minerals.
Although not cattle a good example of consumption of one item doesn't mean you are deficient in it. And the craving is caused by a totally different deficiency.
In humans one craving and chewing ice has been sown to be in many cases directly linked to iron or zinc deficiency. And once the deficiency is corrected the cravings and action's decrease and stop.
If you where to use the , eat what they are deficient in you would assume they are deficient in water or ice. Not iron. Documented research that contradicts you crave what you are deficient in. While the craving is caused by a deficiencies the craving does nothing to eliminate the deficiency.

Last edited:
This goes off on a tangent, but you comment about cows licking bones for calcium made me think of something I saw one time. Just looked it up. Sure enough:

now are you ever going to reasonably expect to see a cow eating a rabbit? My thought would be no, but I have seen this pictured before (yes, absurdly strange) and I've seen two separate articles indicating that it's caused by a phosphorus deficiency. I take this with a grain of salt but one of the articles (not the one above) appeared to have legitimate research tied to it. It wasn't social media either, but it was on the internet. I'm of the belief you can't believe everything you see on the internet. So do I believe it? (grain of salt) Do I think its totally preposterous? (please present me the facts and evidence supporting this claim that, on the surface, appears totally absurd)
I've seen horses fighting over chicken heads. We had a bunch of roosters we butchered, throwing the heads out into the pasture as we cut them off. The horses came over and smells the bloody heads and soon one took one into it's mouth... and the horses were off (literally). They were searching all over and jostling each other as we threw more heads out. Mmmmmm... CRUNCHY!

As far as what cattle NEED in minerals, they don't need much. Usually they get most of what they need in their natural grazing. I doubt they crave specific minerals. That's why the minerals are mixed with salt... they crave the salt and it's easy to get the cattle to eat trace minerals by mixing them with salt.

Last edited:

Latest posts