safeguard dewormer cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Have had good luck with these before. Questions is "can you give it to the cows if they're heavy bred?" I can find nothing saying you can't on the cube instruction box.
Thanks

Well, my bull runs with the cows year round and I use the safeguard cubes. I never paid much attention but am sure there have been a few heavy breds in the bunch when I used it and don't know of any ill effects. All I remember reading was somethng about not giving it to lactating dairy cows or those about to be 'freshened'

It says to feed the blocks for 3 days then remove them. Will it hurt to just leave them out until they're gone? The cows ate about 70% of each cube after 3 days.

tncattle":2k8hylw5 said:
Have had good luck with these before. Questions is "can you give it to the cows if they're heavy bred?" I can find nothing saying you can't on the cube instruction box.
Thanks

I have with no ill effects I like using it in the fall mine actually get theirs on Labor Day like to use injectable ivomectin in the spring

I'm new to this forum and was just reading through some topics. I use the Safeguard blocks on my cows with good success. My cows are accustomed to licking blocks or tubs. Sometimes it does take about a week for them to clean them up. One trick I discovered is when you buy the blocks, take the covers off and inspect them. Some of them that have been sitting awhile will get stale on the top. Take you knife and check the freshness. Also, the worms that safeguard products target are different than the ones that ivomec or Noromectin target. The only injectable that covers same as safeguard is the Long Range injectable. So you should use both types to cover all your worms. Also, i have some rougher country that I run cows and a lot of it is wet. I have ALOT of flukes. Ivermectin or Noromectin PLUS are the only injectables that kill ADULT flukes. Otherwise Valbazen as a drench. I guess there are 2 different types of flukes and some experts say these products only kill one kind, but I have found that the experts can't agree on this. I just give and and hope for the best.

Worming adult cattle is like wearing socks, different story on calves. Make no mistake, I do it too, it makes us feel good, but most of the time it isn't necessary.

Maybe, maybe not. Some cows do better and have more resistance than others. I do em all and then it's done. If you get new cows in and they get flukes, it'll tear up their liver pretty good in a year.

Latest posts