This is why I love cubes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Our only feed store just shut it's doors this year, they didn't even have cubes or anything

We press sunflower oil, and it takes the cows a little bit to learn what the pressings are, once they do they'll stop at nothing to get them

Brute 23":3m00olb3 said:
There are different brands and different qualities of cubes. Find an actual feed store some where and they can help you.

Nearest "actual feed stores" are 140~170 miles away and they have never even heard of cubes... lol. And I don't want to haul feed that far. Local hardware store sells sweet feed and the cows come to it just as well.

You guys get spoiled in more populated farm areas. But UP here the nearest TSC is 65 miles away, nearest tractor dealer of any color is 120 miles, feed store 140 miles, sale barn 350 miles, etc.

chevytaHOE5674":12j60x9j said:
Brute 23":12j60x9j said:
There are different brands and different qualities of cubes. Find an actual feed store some where and they can help you.

Nearest "actual feed stores" are 140~170 miles away and they have never even heard of cubes... lol. And I don't want to haul feed that far. Local hardware store sells sweet feed and the cows come to it just as well.

You guys get spoiled in more populated farm areas. But UP here the nearest TSC is 65 miles away, nearest tractor dealer of any color is 120 miles, feed store 140 miles, sale barn 350 miles, etc.

Is the area that remote or is there just not a lot of cattle around you?

We have 2 feed stores and one stop light in town. There are no less than two feed stores, in the next towns over, no matter what direction you head, also. :)

I am on a dividing line
East of me there are pitiful few cows
Most laND is cash grain with some vegetable prodution
West of me is rolling land and as you go west the herds even get good sized

Brute 23":2tdy2410 said:
chevytaHOE5674":2tdy2410 said:
Brute 23":2tdy2410 said:

Is the area that remote or is there just not a lot of cattle around you?

We have 2 feed stores and one stop light in town. There are no less than two feed stores, in the next towns over, no matter what direction you head, also. :)

We have three feed stores besides Walmart that is the only place to shop.

Not very many people around (around 2 people per square mile in this county), and way less cattle. Town has a gas station, hardware, and grocery store. Anything else is a minimum of a 65 mile one way trip. We have a very odd climate being on the largest body of fresh water in the world that is very cold so farming is a challenge so there isn't many left doing it.

Wow, guess I hit the jackpot. The ones we buy are from one of the local Coop's that make them on site, buy in bulk or by the bag. The other Coop buys from Purina, sells primarily in bulk. Orscheln Farm & Home is within 20 miles. Atwoods & Tractor Supply are both within an hour. The county also has Flemming Feed & Grain and Western Feed Mills is in the next county but delivers in bulk.

ChevytaHOE5674, I've been to Upper MI so I understand your lack of resources. Or people.

TCRanch":1tl193bg said:
I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

I'd buy a boatload at that price and "supplement" with hay! :lol2: All jokes aside I would feed cubes daily and provide roughage with much cheaper hay than what I currently grow. Cubes are $400/ton here. That's buying in bags. No bulk options that I'm aware of. Sweet deal you've got going TC.

greybeard":27lp2qn6 said:
boondocks":27lp2qn6 said:
Ok, this IS the beginner's board, so I'm gonna come right out and admit that when y'all say "cubes" I used to think I knew what you meant but now I'm not sure whether there's a defined/commercial product as such???? Is it a catch-all phrase? (pic? link?)
We used to be able to get cube-like supplement (protein, molasses, mineral etc) in a big bag at Tractor Supply but now it looks more like rabbit feed in shape.
Depends I guess, on how big the rabbits get in your area.
This is close to actual size.
3/4" x 2 to 3" long.

His hand would wither away and fall off before she walks away from cubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7raN3oY_Q
That's what we used to get at TS but now all we can get is sweet feed (small pellets). They do like it but when I fed it by hand recently, one of them accidentally got her teeth on me (thru my glove, hurt but didn't quite break skin. She was as surprised as me). Wish we could find the bigger ones again. They waste half the pellets

280 a ton here in bags, but I can pre book (pay for a ton), and go get whatever amount at a time, so I don't have to handle and store a pallet at a time, really handy for me. We have about 10 feed stores within 25 miles, I just can't wrap my head around not having one close.

Never known to have any here by me in NY. Hubby worked as nutritionist for feed store & he really couldn't even order it in. Used to readily have it available when we lived in Kansas back in the 70's.

When I worked at the farm in Ohio I got to unload a semi trailer load every year and stack them in the barn....then I got to feed several bags daily....thank god I was young and strong and stupid....

Cubes are a great source of supplement if you have to feed your cows. But, on most farms, there isn't a bunch of grain feeders sitting around. These can be poured out on the ground and not one cube will be lost.
Kinda glad they are not available out here. Would be way too easy to supplement cows!

i use them more to teach animals to come to call....when I call em I feed the ones who come and pretty soon they are all coming...good way to introduce them to rotational grazing as well....once they learn to come to call they will come to you if you are near a fence and sneeze...

Latest posts