This is why I love cubes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Started to catch bulls this week. Walked up to this old man with a couple cubes in my pocket. Fed him two or three thru the gate and then opened it up just enough for him to slide thru before the cows could. Drove for the cattle pens with him in tow. Threw him #10-15 in the trough and closed the gate. Put my spurs and cowboy hat away and called it a day. :cowboy:

(Please excuse the loud racket in the back ground... the Polaris was the only utv there)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/b_lPqLmnSEk[/youtube]

Ok, this IS the beginner's board, so I'm gonna come right out and admit that when y'all say "cubes" I used to think I knew what you meant but now I'm not sure whether there's a defined/commercial product as such???? Is it a catch-all phrase? (pic? link?)
We used to be able to get cube-like supplement (protein, molasses, mineral etc) in a big bag at Tractor Supply but now it looks more like rabbit feed in shape.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ipph1jn said:
We do the same thing with sweet feed. Cube/cakes are not sold in our market. I'd feed them if they were.

Are you serious Tux? I thought cubes were a fixture everywhere. May be a business opportunity for some local feed store.

:nod: I can buy them at any feed or farm store.
Several gas stations. Heb.
And the drive through beer store in lometa.....the girls will load em on the back,put your beer in your cooler and fill it with ice. You never have to get out the truck........I've been there a time or two.... :nod:

JMJ Farms":2o501vga said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2o501vga said:
We do the same thing with sweet feed. Cube/cakes are not sold in our market. I'd feed them if they were.

Are you serious Tux? I thought cubes were a fixture everywhere. May be a business opportunity for some local feed store.

I've never found them.

boondocks":3pq0f0my said:
Ok, this IS the beginner's board, so I'm gonna come right out and admit that when y'all say "cubes" I used to think I knew what you meant but now I'm not sure whether there's a defined/commercial product as such???? Is it a catch-all phrase? (pic? link?)
We used to be able to get cube-like supplement (protein, molasses, mineral etc) in a big bag at Tractor Supply but now it looks more like rabbit feed in shape.
Depends I guess, on how big the rabbits get in your area.
This is close to actual size.
3/4" x 2 to 3" long.

His hand would wither away and fall off before she walks away from cubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7raN3oY_Q

Available sometimes at the local tractor supply, but my cows will hardly eat the things. But some sweet feed in a bucket and they will follow you anywhere.

the local stores around here will special order them but not enough folks use them to get the stores to stock them...now in all honesty the two stores have mostly horse and homesteader and gardener customers...plenty of alpaca and rabbit feed and ten lines of horse feed...

i needed some cubes for a few heifers out on pasture and one of the stores did have some hay cubes and they worked pretty well for short term feeding on pasture and the heifers would come running when they saw me coming.

These are 20% cubes. They make some cotton seed cubes also that are higher and not even a dollar more.

Pretty much have to have them to call the cows out of the brush to get a look at them.

Ill start heifers on sweet beef then switch them over to cubes over time.

chevytaHOE5674":3rlzpnd0 said:
Available sometimes at the local tractor supply, but my cows will hardly eat the things. But some sweet feed in a bucket and they will follow you anywhere.

There are different brands and different qualities of cubes. Find an actual feed store some where and they can help you.

I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

TCRanch":2gpy1owx said:
I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

what amount of cubes are you buying for that price?

pdfangus":173l41h6 said:
TCRanch":173l41h6 said:

6780 lbs to fill up the Versa Tote.

TCRanch":ve60ijpm said:
pdfangus":ve60ijpm said:
TCRanch":ve60ijpm said:

I should clarify: 2.20 for whatever amount/pounds purchased this year. We also have a smaller Tote & sometimes they don't fill them to the brim.

TCRanch":2k31oedh said:
TCRanch":2k31oedh said:
pdfangus":2k31oedh said:
I should clarify: 2.20 for whatever amount/pounds purchased this year. We also have a smaller Tote & sometimes they don't fill them to the brim.
I'm missing something here....
$2.20 per lb X 50lbs=$110 for a 50lb sack of cubes??? :shock: :shock:

greybeard":3vyo63lc said:
TCRanch":3vyo63lc said:
TCRanch":3vyo63lc said:
I'm missing something here....
$2.20 per lb X 50lbs=$110 for a 50lb sack of cubes??? :shock: :shock:
My bad just reading the description, which says pounds but it's actually figured by the ton.
6780 lbs, price 220.000, amount 745.80. 6780 lbs is 3.39 tons. 3.39 x 220.00 = 745.80.

tons is not even an option around here

I have been looking at prices this morning since clicking on this thread

my avaialbe sources
all in fifty lb bags.
some have quantity price breaks
base prices per fifty lb bag
CFC Farmers Coop 12.54
purina web site price via local dealer 12.99
southern states makes one no price listed and my SS dealer would get them from Purina
tractor supply has two brands I think both made by Purina
one for 12.49 and the other for 13.49
Rural King has one for 9.99 but we don't have a Rural King within 100 miles yet.
not that many years ago these things were six bucks a bag...and I bought them by the ton at that price but we had sixty cows then.

TSC sells them here in 50 lb bags. I get em every once in a while and will keep some in my pockets to give as treats when i walk through checking the cows. Certain cows like them and the rest aren't too interested. Whether it's feed or cubes, it's nice to have cattle broke to come to feed like that. Makes it a lot easier to get them where you want them. I'd rather lead them than have to drive them any day.

Latest posts