Dewormer

Help Support CattleToday:

Cindy

Reaction score
Can you give a cow oral dewormer? will it work? Normally I do poor it on down the back but was wondering if oral would work as well or better. Thank you!

I think several folks on here use drench wormers and have success with them. I don't have direct experience with them though. We typically use pour on or injectable.

Yes, drench or ones that you mix with feed are actually much more effective than pour on. If it is just one cow or a small number where you can separate them and feed individually Safe Guard works great.

Dave said:
Yes, drench or ones that you mix with feed are actually much more effective than pour on. If it is just one cow or a small number where you can separate them and feed individually Safe Guard works great.
Use to use Safeguard Drench on dairy cattle once a year with good results.

An old back grounder taught me that the only wormer that works is the kind that you put in them not on them. My cows are worked with injectable wormer in the spring, I rotate between Iveomic and Cydecton. Then in the fall they get Safe-Guard oral before they go to corn stalks.

Thank you! So I can squirt orally into mouth? I use the Iverm. on her that you would normally give in a shot and that will work? My daughter gives the ponies we have orally so she thought it would be great if we could do our heifer the same way. The heifer is very gentle. I would dose it by the weight of the heifer
correct?

Cindy said:
Thank you! So I can squirt orally into mouth? I use the Iverm. on her that you would normally give in a shot and that will work? My daughter gives the ponies we have orally so she thought it would be great if we could do our heifer the same way. The heifer is very gentle. I would dose it by the weight of the heifer
correct?

If you only have one heifer, then they make an oral anti-parasitic that you can mix in with her feed (SafeGurad) and it works well. I would not be squirting anything into her mouth unless it is specifically made for such administration.

Also, to be a different voice, the studies show that a pour on can be just as effective as other types if it is administered correctly.

oral wormers are formulated for the purpose of squirting into their mouth... but yeah, I wouldn't do that with a pour-on or injectible wormer. I did my dairy heifers with an oral one year, can't remember why. They very obviously didn't like the taste much, but it went in (they were all already trained for regular oral dosing with minerals)