tubs vs cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
Seems to be 2 of the most common protein supplements to go along with hay or roughage. Would 38% cubes not be more cost effective than tubs other than convenience?

Can't say, not enough info.
What does cubes cost?
What kinds of tubs you talking about?
some are 50.00 + or - a few bucks and some cooked tubs are 110.00 + or - a few bucks.
What's the travel to feed ?
Out the back door or in my case I have one place 97 miles round trip
The 97 mile place if I count my time, wear & tear on the PU and cost of fuel then I don't know I could come out feeding cubes if they were free.
All the debate about tubs on here for the last few years many people don't seem to understand there is a lot more to cost than the price paid.

BRYANT":2pbi73re said:
Can't say, not enough info.
What does cubes cost?
What kinds of tubs you talking about?
some are 50.00 + or - a few bucks and some cooked tubs are 110.00 + or - a few bucks.
What's the travel to feed ?
Out the back door or in my case I have one place 97 miles round trip
The 97 mile place if I count my time, wear & tear on the PU and cost of fuel then I don't know I could come out feeding cubes if they were free.
All the debate about tubs on here for the last few years many people don't seem to understand there is a lot more to cost than the price paid.
Anybody can use their own variables. Just mine for example: 16% ration- $200 a ton, 38% cubes- $350 per ton, 28% cooked tubs- $1000 per ton, and 11% hay for $70 per ton. 1 hour turnaround on feeding time.

RanchMan90":3ulp60gr said:
Seems to be 2 of the most common protein supplements to go along with hay or roughage. Would 38% cubes not be more cost effective than tubs other than convenience?
Convenience is the big selling point for both tubs and liquid feed. Put it out and forget it. Visit when you get the opportunity. For those situations my opinion is that tubs and liquid feed would be the most feasible method of supplementation. For me, with all the cattle close by, feeding cubes is both the most economical and the highest quality of feed whether it's a 20% cube or the 38% cube. Takes me 30 minutes every time I feed but I work cheap and I get to walk through the cattle and observe every little thing that might not look quite right.

Ranchman have you ever tried range meal, I have used it for years for me with the distance I am away I think it is the best deal for the money. It cost 340 per ton for non medicated. I will mix some corn in it when we are having very cold /bad weather, cold for Okla. not like some on here show pictures of, I see more people feed it in the SE part of the state than I do around here, seems like more tubs are fed the father west you go, in Okla.

Ranch7DK":2rk202gt said:
I met someone who feeds chicken litter mixed with corn and hay. he also puts puts out loose mineral year around. any thoughts on the chicken litter?

I would think it'd stink pretty bad.

Ranch7DK":1fjtfoam said:
I met someone who feeds chicken litter mixed with corn and hay. he also puts puts out loose mineral year around. any thoughts on the chicken litter?
never tried it myself, because I don't have it to try, but know some people that feed it and think it is good.

Ranch7DK":r2occhmd said:

That would be a drawing card for private treaty sales.
Tubs are absolutely the most dollars you can spend on protein.

Chicken litter used to be used here for feed/ mixed into a ration. It has a smell, but if you pile it in a field, the cows will stand and eat it. Like it's "chocolate candy to them". YUCK. But the thing is, it was being fed as part of a finishing ration by some friends that were finishing out cattle, and when they butchered one for themselves, said you could just taste something "off" in the meat.
Don't know about the arsenic now....but it is no longer suggested as an additive to stretch feed and I think it has to do with the quality and the smell/taste of the meat.
We often get litter when one of the guys has no where to go with it due to not being able to deliver because of field conditions... too wet, muddy, snow, whatever. We have 2 places where they can get into, and back out of without getting stuck, so we get calls sometimes that "so & so has 2 loads that they need a place to go with it", etc.. So, often it will go to these places and we keep cattle at both in the winter. They will just climb all over the piles and eat it. Some gets a little wasted, but the price is cheap when they are desperate for a place to dump it.... so the cows do eat some, and we get it spread when we can get on the fields without tearing them up. Both "storage places" are close to the different hay fields that we use it on.

farmerjan":2x6mp9b3 said:
Chicken litter used to be used here for feed/ mixed into a ration. It has a smell, but if you pile it in a field, the cows will stand and eat it. Like it's "chocolate candy to them". YUCK. But the thing is, it was being fed as part of a finishing ration by some friends that were finishing out cattle, and when they butchered one for themselves, said you could just taste something "off" in the meat.
Don't know about the arsenic now....but it is no longer suggested as an additive to stretch feed and I think it has to do with the quality and the smell/taste of the meat.
We often get litter when one of the guys has no where to go with it due to not being able to deliver because of field conditions... too wet, muddy, snow, whatever. We have 2 places where they can get into, and back out of without getting stuck, so we get calls sometimes that "so & so has 2 loads that they need a place to go with it", etc.. So, often it will go to these places and we keep cattle at both in the winter. They will just climb all over the piles and eat it. Some gets a little wasted, but the price is cheap when they are desperate for a place to dump it.... so the cows do eat some, and we get it spread when we can get on the fields without tearing them up. Both "storage places" are close to the different hay fields that we use it on.

Practice's of feeding chicken litter along with some others is the driver behind BQA. This is all being done in the name of food safety. We're already headed to complete veterinary medical treatment of the herd due to mismanagement in our ranks.

Working off the farm and going to Dialysis three times a week I try to feed for the week on Sunday. I have two covered feeders that I feed 2&1 range meal in. I buy it by the ton ($330). They shrink wrap a pallet and set it in my old 4x4 then I fill the feeders off the truck so very little handling. Has worked good for me for many years. Tubs were the only other local choice but waaay to expensive for me.
If I had the time every day I'd feed cubes.

For me it is alfalfa. There are thousands of acres of it in this region. Their target market is export, but a lot doesn't make export quality. Last year I bought 16% protein alfalfa in 3x4 big squares for $125 a ton delivered.

Dave":20g9qo8k said:
For me it is alfalfa. There are thousands of acres of it in this region. Their target market is export, but a lot doesn't make export quality. Last year I bought 16% protein alfalfa in 3x4 big squares for $125 a ton delivered.
Their junk could be your goldmine. Just don't let them know it.

TexasBred":38dzgwe0 said:
Dave":38dzgwe0 said:
Their junk could be your goldmine. Just don't let them know it.
Every area has an unfair advantage. A person just needs to figure out what their unfair advantage is and take advantage of it. This is especially true when it comes to feed cost.

Problem with tubs is consumption is just to low to help much at all. And they're over priced but may help you sleep better knowing the cows are getting a little something.

shaz":1d0ty63t said:
Problem with tubs is consumption is just to low to help much at all. And they're over priced but may help you sleep better knowing the cows are getting a little something.

A ton of tubs would cost 900 bucks for 600 pounds of protein.
A ton of range meal is 300 dollars for 280 pounds of protein. For 900 dollars you could have bought 3 tons of feed with 840 pounds of protein for the same dollars.
For convenience you would be way ahead with liquid feed for cost and protein provided. At 289 a ton with 35% protein it's the cheapest route versus tub. The drawback is you have to have hay or forage to use it, the cows can actually consume it versus the tub.
TB might be a good source for some additional information.

Latest posts